PDA

View Full Version : Made some pens, got a pen

Kirk (KC) Constable
11-02-2005, 12:59 AM
Been quite some time since I turned more than a pen or two at a time. This morning I decided to 'use up' some kits I had laying around...and also got a surprise of one 'ready made' mesquite pen from Keith Burns. :)

I got some box elder from Jim a while back...so here's a Wall Street pen and a Penn State Comfort Grip (without the comfort grip) from box elder, two mesquite non-comfort grips, a cocobolo non-comfort grip pencil that I ordered by mistake (I hate pencils), and a cherry burl I got from Barbara Gill a few years ago. The surprise from Keith is the one pointing the other direction. Taking pictures of little stuff is different than big!

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/pen1.jpg

John Hart
11-02-2005, 6:10 AM
I like your style KC! I didn't even know you did pens! Very nice work.:)

Dick Parr
11-02-2005, 8:05 AM
Great looking pens Kirk! It's always fun to get gifts from fellow woodworkers.:)

Keith Burns
11-02-2005, 8:10 AM
Great looking pens. I didn't know you turned either. The wall street style pen is my favorite style but it looks like Woodcraft has quit carrying them so I'm going to have to find another source. You're right about the photography. I've tried a nd tried and just gave up.

Mark Cothren
11-02-2005, 8:53 AM
While I haven't turned any pens/pencils myself, I still appreciate the quality of work you have done on these. I enjoy the pictures - thanks for sharing!

Jeremiah Jordan
11-02-2005, 5:47 PM
Taking pictures of little stuff is different than big!

I have just made a very small photo both for taking pictures of my small turnings. My dad just went out to colorado and took the digital with him. But to make a small one is easy. I just used a packaging box from PSI. Made a "cube" out of it, but left the frame of the cardboard still intact. I then covered the sides of the "cube" with plastic garbage bags. This is to filter out the "bad" light some how. Not sure why or how it works, but it just does. I have some very nice shots of it and some pens, but they will have to wait till monday to be uplaoded.

Jeremiah

Jim Ketron
11-02-2005, 6:29 PM
Great Job Kirk!
Nice Looking pens.
The Ladies love the Box elder pens I have made!