PDA

View Full Version : Map of Lumberyards.

Dave Lehnert
10-08-2017, 9:30 AM
Was reading this morning Popular Woodworking has a map of lumber yards in each state. I found a hardwood dealer I did not know about 45 min for home.
Do a search for "Popular woodworking lumberyard map"

William Adams
10-08-2017, 9:41 AM
There's also:

- http://www.woodfinder.com/

Brian Henderson
10-08-2017, 12:08 PM
The problem is these maps are always woefully incomplete. Woodfinder misses virtually all of the lumberyards and hardwood dealers in my area, it has at least two that went out of business, one about five years ago and the other nearly a decade ago. The Popular Woodworking map misses 2 out of the 3 closest lumberyards to me.

Bruce Page
10-08-2017, 12:26 PM
I’ve been to World of Wood/Exotic Woods that they list in Albuquerque. It’s a retail store in an old converted restaurant building. I’ve been there ½ dozen times and never walked out with a piece of wood, their prices are off the chart.
We do have a few lumber yards that aren’t on the PW list. The best yard in the state is Alpine Lumber in Santa Fe, also not cheap.

Matt Day
10-08-2017, 1:15 PM
That might be the worst map I’ve ever seen. Apparently there are no lumberyards in north east Ohio.

Just use google maps and search for “lumberyard” or “hardwood”.

John M Wilson
10-08-2017, 2:46 PM
Apparently there are no lumberyards in north east Ohio.

Or the entire state of Tennessee! :eek:

glenn bradley
10-08-2017, 2:59 PM
Cool. I did not find my preferred yard at any of those sites but, sent the info to those who manage them.

Dave Lehnert
10-08-2017, 4:21 PM
I think the point of the map is for woodworkers to list their favorite place to buy lumber. Not just a list of every outlet that sells lumber. It is an active, ever growing map for woodworkers to share. They cant list it if Woodworkers don't send it in.

Dave Lehnert
10-08-2017, 4:27 PM
That might be the worst map I’ve ever seen. Apparently there are no lumberyards in north east Ohio.

Just use google maps and search for “lumberyard” or “hardwood”.

They list Keim Lumber in Charm Ohio. I always considered that North East Ohio.
But yes, Many more lumber places up that way.
I did not send in any places for the list. I know of a bunch but no personal experience buying from them.

Jim Becker
10-08-2017, 7:32 PM
Based on my quick look, I suspect that any map entries are there from lumber suppliers that ponied up to be listed. In SE PA, there are hundreds of such concerns in existence, but I'm only seeing like...three...on the map. Fortunately, Hearne is one of them :D

Randy Viellenave
10-08-2017, 9:21 PM
Wow. I have one only 93 miles away. Sadly, 57 miles of that is the ocean... Perhaps they could make a list of areas that need one?

Megan Fitzpatrick
10-09-2017, 3:59 PM
We're happy to add them. Just send a note to brendan.gaffney@fwmedia.com, along with a short testimonial of why you think it's a good yard (note: we're talking actual lumberyards – places you can find a robust selection of furniture-sized wood). The map is entirely crowd-sourced, and growing.

Megan Fitzpatrick
10-09-2017, 4:05 PM
Jim, this is entirely crowd-sourced. All listed yards were sent in by readers (and we're adding more as they come in – feel free to send your favorites if they're not represented. There's info in the post on how to do it, and for what we're looking).

David Bassett
10-09-2017, 4:32 PM
Based on my quick look, I suspect that any map entries are there from lumber suppliers that ponied up to be listed....

They are quite up front it is a work in progress listing vendors recommended by readers. This initial map includes the yards recommend by their social media follows solicited over the last year. They say they won't accept listings from dealers without review and disclosing the affiliation in the listing and that they are still accepting recommendations for ongoing updates.

All, if they're missing yards in your area and you haven't sent in a recommendation, the lack of listings is your own fault.

(They list several in my area, unfortunately none I didn't know about....)

Jim Becker
10-09-2017, 8:27 PM
Like many folks would likely do...I went directly to the map...and didn't see the fact that it's a crowd sourced resource since I didn't read the rest of the page. My apologies for that.

Alan Lightstone
10-10-2017, 6:48 AM
Wow. I have one only 93 miles away. Sadly, 57 miles of that is the ocean... Perhaps they could make a list of areas that need one?
It's not like it's a big ocean. It's only the Pacific. You need to be less picky. :rolleyes:

Brendan Gaffney
10-10-2017, 8:55 AM
Based on my quick look, I suspect that any map entries are there from lumber suppliers that ponied up to be listed.

Nope! Every submission was sent in by a reader, and I’m only listing entries that come with a full review by a fellow craftsperson – there is absolutely no payment to be listed or to use the map. It’s intended as a free resource, and one I started working on before I worked here at the magazine. If you don’t see what you’re looking for, feel free to submit it! I’ve had several people submit having seen this forum page, and even a few folks writing here have sent in their submissions. It’s already gone from 115 to nearly 200 in the two days it’s been up, once I finish entering the new reviews into the system.

Gary Cunningham
10-10-2017, 3:21 PM
They list Keim Lumber in Charm Ohio. I always considered that North East Ohio.
But yes, Many more lumber places up that way.
I did not send in any places for the list. I know of a bunch but no personal experience buying from them.

I was at Keim Lumber yesterday. Tool prices were good. Lumber prices? Cha-Ching $$$$$$$$$$