PDA

View Full Version : looking for small rectangular stones/rocks any idea where to buy this???

dustin wassner
10-07-2017, 11:16 PM
I can't find where to buy something like this. I need to buy a lot of them for a project I am working on. They need to be roughly 1" long and .75" wide and tall and have flat faces. Preferably grey in color. Almost like a miniature concrete block...

Any ideas?

thanks as always,

DW

Brian Brown
10-08-2017, 12:49 AM
Most stream and river banks. Many sizes, shapes, and colors to choose from. :D:D Sorry, I couldn't resist. I have no idea where you could find anything that uniform.

Jim Koepke
10-08-2017, 3:12 AM
Maybe knowing more about the project would help with finding your answer.

Natural rocks do not come in uniform sizes or shapes. You may need to settle for tumbled tile.

jtk

Jerry Bruette
10-08-2017, 6:00 AM
Google tumbling and polishing media. They make small stones for this but the end are cut at an angle not square.

Lee Schierer
10-08-2017, 8:18 AM
Go to your local tile stores and look at back splash tiles.

Mike Cutler
10-08-2017, 8:33 AM
Go to your local tile stores and look at back splash tiles.

Bingo!

They will come on sheets, in all colors. Stone, quartz, marble, etc.

Bruce Page
10-08-2017, 12:52 PM
Also try looking into mosaic stone & tile suppliers.

dustin wassner
10-09-2017, 3:25 PM
I am trying to make a small model house with my kids and want to use little blocks for the foundation but I want them to be actual stone rather than wood or foam or something like that. I am now thinking of casting my own little blocks out of concrete.

I am picturing a thin plastic tray with rectangular recesses in it that I could pour the concrete in and then just push the blocks out when they are dry and toss the tray when finished as it would probably be destroyed.

Any idea where I could get a tray like this?

Malcolm McLeod
10-09-2017, 3:42 PM
... picturing a thin plastic tray with rectangular recesses ....
Any idea where I could get a tray like this?

1. Lots of special shaped ice-cube trays out there... maybe one would suit your use?

2. If you can make/cut/sculpt 1 (or 20) of the shapes you want as pattern(s) (out of wood?), then get a quart of a flexible molding liquid. Pour the liquid over your patterns, toss the patterns, and use the resulting mold to cast as many as you need out of concrete. Don't forget to leave some draft in the pattern to allow removal from the mold.

3. Look for modeling clay that can be baked hard. ...Possibly a DIY recipe on the WWW?

4. Or, maybe potter's clay and have the 'bricks' fired by a friendly neighborhood potter?

5. There are stone pavers available at the BORGS that are ~1" thick. Buy a few and rent a tile saw to cut to final size...?

And maybe for #1 - - look for a fly-fisherman's fly storage tray?

Frederick Skelly
10-09-2017, 3:48 PM
I googled: "mini concrete bricks" and a few sources came up, as well as a tutorial on how to make some. Might give you an idea.

Fred

dustin wassner
10-09-2017, 3:56 PM
thanks, guys. I would like to be able to buy these trays whenever needed so that my kids can make the bricks whenever they want to, so it is not really a one-time-deal. I will look into the ice cube trays. First thought with them is that they probably will have tapered sides, and I am shooting for something that is rectangular.

Malcolm McLeod
10-09-2017, 4:03 PM
... will have tapered sides ...

^ this taper is the 'draft' I referenced. It allows a molded part to be removed from a rigid mold w/o destroying the mold (... eons ago, I made a few injection-molded things).

If you want zero draft, the flexible molds may be your only option ... if you use a pour-able material and make the mold thick enough to withstand re-use?

dustin wassner
10-09-2017, 4:44 PM
I guess I could try to make a mold out of silicone? Never done this before...

Harold Balzonia
10-09-2017, 5:16 PM
Make your own.... a bag of quickrete will serve you well. Search the google web or amazon for "rectangle silicone soap mold" and you'll be set. Silicone Soap molds and jewelry molds are what you want. Any shape imaginable is out there...

Adam Herman
10-09-2017, 5:48 PM
Michael's sells a candy mold that is Lego blocks. That could work perfect with a medium stiff mix of plaster or Portland cement. Plaster may be easier and a bit more precise.

Steve Peterson
10-09-2017, 6:30 PM
What about cutting a piece of slate with a tile saw? Cut 1" strips in one direction and 3/4" wide the other direction.

dustin wassner
10-09-2017, 10:22 PM
I am going to try to make a mold. Watched a few videos, and I think I can do it.

Next question:

what material should I pour into the mold that will take abuse from the kids without breaking and is still affordable? grout/cement/mortar?

any thoughts? thanks so much.

Mel Fulks
10-09-2017, 10:36 PM
There are a number of products used by pattern makers and such that consist of two parts that are mixed and then set up quickly. I would pick one that's paintable and cheap.