PDA

View Full Version : GE Gas stove keeps sliding ...

Clarence Martinn
10-07-2017, 5:09 PM
Got a brand new GE freestanding Gas Range. It works GREAT !!!:) Only one little issue with it:

It slides easily...

Got it placed on a Ceramic Tile floor. Every time I bump up against the Stove, it moves either left , right or backward. It does not wobble, it is sitting level.

Is there a way to keep it from sliding ?

Jim Koepke
10-07-2017, 6:38 PM
Have you tried setting soft rubber pads under the feet? Often the feet already have a hard rubber or plastic over the metal adjusters. You may need something a bit more grabby.

jtk

Bruce Page
10-07-2017, 6:40 PM
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shepherd-3603-1-5-Round-Anti-Skid-Pads/33729963

Also available from Home Depot, Lowes

Bob Leistner
10-07-2017, 10:53 PM
I just bought one recently, and it came with a bracket that is mounted to a back foot and the floor. It works very well at keeping the stove immobile. As light as the new ones are, I would think that having some sort of mounting bracket would almost be mandatory to keep the gas pipe from fracturing.

Brian Brown
10-08-2017, 12:46 AM
Get an old bike or car inner tube, and cut some patches the size of the stove feet. Place them under the feet. I may be easier if you use contact cement to hold them on. You could also use the foam shelf liner instead of the inner tube, but it is easily smashed, and will kind of turn to glue.

Mike Null
10-08-2017, 6:42 AM
Actually the safety bracket should be packed with all new gas ranges (for more than 20 years). While it will keep the range from sliding its purpose is to secure the range to the wall or baseboard to prevent tipping should a child stand on the open oven door. It sprung from various litigations and was agreed to by all gas range manufacturers. (appliance manufacturers belong to a trade organization called AHAM for Assoc. of Home Appliance Manufacturers)

You have no idea how often such a ridiculous thing happens.

Bob Leistner
10-08-2017, 7:08 AM
Now that you mention that, Mike, I do recall the instructions saying that was its purpose. Some peoples kids.....

Jim Koepke
10-08-2017, 1:57 PM
Now that you mention that, Mike, I do recall the instructions saying that was its purpose. Some peoples kids.....

Kids see someone diving off a board on TV and want to do it at home. Kids will then pick either the oven door or a reclining chair if one is available.

jtk

Von Bickley
10-08-2017, 5:16 PM
Actually the safety bracket should be packed with all new gas ranges (for more than 20 years). While it will keep the range from sliding its purpose is to secure the range to the wall or baseboard to prevent tipping should a child stand on the open oven door. It sprung from various litigations and was agreed to by all gas range manufacturers. (appliance manufacturers belong to a trade organization called AHAM for Assoc. of Home Appliance Manufacturers)

You have no idea how often such a ridiculous thing happens.

The last stove that I bought (10 years ago) came with that bracket.

Mike Null
10-09-2017, 8:10 AM
The straw that broke the camel's back on this issue was a child who had been scalded when a boiling pot of spaghetti was spilled on him. Those of us who had a part in the decision to move ahead with the strap regulation felt certain that grandma dropped the pan and caused the scalding but absent any proof to the contrary we were left without much recourse.

Richard McComas
10-10-2017, 3:30 AM
In my area the bracket is demanded by code.

https://elizabethtown.wini.com/resources/articles/missing-anti-tip-brackets/