PDA

View Full Version : Hurry, Hurry, Hurry Before it is Gone!

Jim Koepke
10-07-2017, 4:28 PM
Often when reading various articles on web sites at the bottom are a lot of "items selected for you that may be of interest."

Many times the site will have a statement such as, "be sure to see this before __________ makes us take it down.

Currently I am looking at one claiming "Big Pharma" is the bad guy about to remove the site from existence. Many internet medical discoveries seem to be plagued by the actions of "Big Pharma."

It seems there is always "some common ingredient in every home" that will be the cure for whatever ails you. Of course it isn't included in the 50,000 word essay telling of "this common ingredient's" super powers.

Then at the end there is something to watch. It is usually some person yacking on about how they will tell about "this newly discovered power of the common item that is likely in your kitchen/bathroom/closet/garage right now," but first let me tell you a little about...

Usually after hearing about their adorable dog, loving wife, fantastic children, the three generations of family before them and the crazy road trip they took when they were 5 years old the listener is then told how to go through another step, usually involving payment to learn more about this new medical miracle.

Gee, by this time it seems there is only one more thing to learn about this amazing thing that is already sitting on one of my shelves, WHAT THE HECK IS IT? (shouting type for emphasis)

Usually after about 30 seconds of listening about the lovely family of pets and children, my browser is redirected to cute cat videos.

So after all this ramble my curiosity has me wondering:

Can these web sites actually be shut down by "Big Pharma" the banks or Wall Street?

Second question, do any of these supposed "miracles from the pantry" actually have any medicinal value?

jtk

Frederick Skelly
10-07-2017, 5:38 PM
I think the answer to both is "sometimes".
* Money and connections seem to drive changes, when those possessing them think changes are needed. On a local scale, I've seen connections used "to get something taken care of" and I've seen small amounts of money used to lubricate such transactions. To me, it's not conspiracy theory to assume that a big corporation can do some of that on a larger scale.

* Keith Outten has referred to cases where SMC has been contacted by a company for a post that gave them heartburn - he reminded us just the other day in the long-running "Glowforge" thread. I wouldn't be shocked to learn that he has occasionally been requested to remove what they perceive as a libelous post. So again, it's not a stretch for me to believe they could "encourage" a site owner or ISP to take down an entire site. There's plenty of buttons to push if you have deeper pockets than the other guy. And hiring a good attorney to defend yourself costs real money.

* "Miracles from the pantry?" It's not hard for me to believe that there's a small one every now and then. Ever take baking soda for heartburn? How about the therapeudic benefits of wine? Or vinegars? Or even mineral oil? It's hard for me to imagine any that could be a threat to big pharma, but if they were, I'm pretty sure GlaxoSmithKline won't be telling me. :)

Fred

Jim Koepke
10-07-2017, 6:35 PM
Ever take baking soda for heartburn?

Not in many years since growing lovage.

Lovage is now my choice for any discomforts of the stomach or when a taste of celery is wanted in cooking or salads and there isn't any celery on hand.

It tastes like celery on steroids is how one friend describes it.

jtk

Jim Becker
10-07-2017, 8:39 PM
The "technical term" for those site links is..."click bait"... ;)

Tom Stenzel
10-07-2017, 11:08 PM
Jim picked the perfect time to write:

Often when reading various articles on web sites at the bottom are a lot of "items selected for you that may be of interest."

Many times the site will have a statement such as, "be sure to see this before __________ makes us take it down.

Currently I am looking at one claiming "Big Pharma" is the bad guy about to remove the site from existence. Many internet medical discoveries seem to be plagued by the actions of "Big Pharma."

It seems there is always "some common ingredient in every home" that will be the cure for whatever ails you. Of course it isn't included in the 50,000 word essay telling of "this common ingredient's" super powers.

jtk

When I get to the 50,000 word essay:

tl;dr

That's as far as I get. Plus no one I know has lived forever. And, when I look at my retirement income I sure couldn't afford it anyway.

-Tom