PDA

View Full Version : Saw blade Sharpen Service by Mail - recommend please ?

Marc Jeske
10-06-2017, 1:53 AM
Need a good circ blade sharpening service, mostly for common 10" for tablesaw, and 9" for odd old saws.

I have a mix of Carbide and regular Steel in the 9" size.

Somewhere I saw Steel is WAY cheaper than Carbide to sharpen. ? ?

I live in the woods, so location does not matter..would ship USPS.

Certainly I have Googled, but trust recommendations here.

Also have done advanced search here on SC, even in quotes... all I get is Neander type stuff on Handplane blades and for $80,000 chisel sets.

NOT interested in DIY !!

Lastly - I use the 9" on old Rockwell miter boxes that mandate "Blades that are rated 7000 rpm".. So does "Sharpening" also typically include the balancing this requires ?

Thank you all, Marc

Sam Puhalovich
10-06-2017, 5:27 AM
Cooks sharpening service ... San Marcos TX

Earl McLain
10-06-2017, 6:23 AM
Carbide Processors in Washington State.
earl

Steve Eure
10-06-2017, 8:25 AM
I've used Dynamic Saw Sharpening in Buffalo NY recently and was very happy. Return was fast and the price was reasonable.

Robyn Horton
10-06-2017, 8:47 AM
#2 for Dynamic in Buffalo , they sharpen all my blades and have one of the best blade sharpening machines right there in house
watch the video http://dynamicsaw.com/

glenn bradley
10-06-2017, 8:57 AM
earl

I've been a CP customer for years and have never been disappointed. I source my blades there as well but, I'm on the left coast.

Steel blades I would just replace in the 9" size. Quality carbide blades can be sharpened many times thereby reducing the cost over the life of the cutter.

Marc Jeske
10-06-2017, 9:01 AM
The thing w the steel blades is.. they are basically unavailable @ 9", and rated 7k rpm.. so, want to get about a dozen old ones sharpened. Marc

Vince Shriver
10-06-2017, 9:22 AM
Cal-Orc Carbide
2919 N. Pacific Hwy
Medford OR 97501
(541) 772-2293

AA Carbide
1275 West 2100 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84119
(801) 486-4881

John TenEyck
10-06-2017, 10:05 AM
Another satisfied Dynamic Saw customer. I actually live close enough to take my blades there and pick them up when they are done. I've been in their shop several times now and know both Dan and Steve (father and son) pretty well. If you follow the link posted above you will see that these guys use top end equipment and know what they are doing with it. Even as an engineer I was taken aback when Dan was telling me about having to control the cutting oil temperature to something like +/- a couple of degrees to assure grinding tolerances. And their prices are very good.

John

Bill McNiel
10-07-2017, 12:50 PM
Dynamic Saw does a really nice job.

Andy Giddings
10-07-2017, 2:40 PM
+x for Dynamic

Peter Kelly
10-07-2017, 3:39 PM
Daniel Callari
dan@dynamicsaw.com
(888) 528-0808

Marc Burt
10-07-2017, 7:33 PM
I send my stuff to dynamic as well.

Rick Potter
10-09-2017, 2:57 AM
Nobody sends them to Forrest?

I am about ready to send half dozen to them, but I haven't used them before. Should I rethink?

Brian Lefort
10-09-2017, 7:48 AM
Forrset
Leitz
Valley machine knife, West Springfield, MA
Woodcraft. (they do a great job mail-in)

Andy Giddings
10-09-2017, 10:13 AM

I am about ready to send half dozen to them, but I haven't used them before. Should I rethink?
Rick, there are probably plenty of good saw sharpening services via mail order (I've used Ridge, Forrest and Leitz) but Dynamic has good service at great prices compared to a lot of the competition

Robyn Horton
10-09-2017, 10:47 AM
Dynamic just done my Forrest Woodworker II sharpening it and brazing on 1 new tooth and the total was a little over $10 , cuts as good as it did when it was new .

Metod Alif
10-09-2017, 11:17 AM
I too am very satisfied with Dynamic. Prompt service, excellent results, good prices, very knowledgeable and friendly folks.
Best,
Metod

Marc Jeske
10-09-2017, 11:18 AM
I looked through Dynamic's Site, and saw no mention of who and how pays return shipping.

Ship back included in sharpen price ? or what?

How does that work?

Sounds and looks like a great place, w VERY good pricing, but they only partially addressed shipping, or I'm goin blind.

Marc

Robyn Horton
10-09-2017, 11:37 AM
For me I'm close enough to just stop by and drop it off and pick it again , I would figure that there shipping would be reasonable like there pricing on sharpening
I'd just give them a call for the shipping cost info ...

joe maday
10-09-2017, 1:04 PM
I've used Ridge Carbide in NJ...for years .....shaper cutters, blades.........Never had an issue.

Peter Kelly
10-09-2017, 6:22 PM
I looked through Dynamic's Site, and saw no mention of who and how pays return shipping.

How does that work?

Sounds and looks like a great place, w VERY good pricing, but they only partially addressed shipping, or I'm goin blind.

MarcSet up a FedEx or UPS account and include a return ship label with your blades?

http://www.fedex.com/us/return-solutions/how-to-create-a-label/ (http://www.fedex.com/us/return-solutions/how-to-create-a-label/)

Brandon Conover
10-09-2017, 6:28 PM
I tried a local guy and wasn't happy with the results. I've been using Burns Tools lately and am very happy with them. Good price and fairly quick. Easy to take care of online is nice

Sam Blasco
10-09-2017, 6:48 PM
I'm am very happy with Ridge Carbide, too. For many, many years. Great blades, too.

Marc Jeske
10-09-2017, 10:10 PM
Actually I think a USPS Flat Rate Box may be most economical, and 3 business days across country.

About $12 - 16 holding about 8 and 13 10"" blades respectively w cardboard layers.

At 70 lb max, very generous.

USPS most economical for packages smaller than about ballpark 1 1/2 cub ft, around that is a tipping point where UPS or Fedex becomes cheaper. Marc

Peter Kelly
10-09-2017, 10:56 PM
If it's that many blades then Cook Industrial might be the simplest option: http://www.cookssharpening.com/id7.html

They're just a few hours from you.

Justin Ludwig
10-10-2017, 7:23 PM
earl
+4

Why 4? Because I sent them 4 blades today. Great service and you get a 10% Creeker discount. I've had multiple random brand blades sharpened by them and own 6-7 custom blades from them.

jim mills
10-10-2017, 8:30 PM
+4

Why 4? Because I sent them 4 blades today. Great service and you get a 10% Creeker discount. I've had multiple random brand blades sharpened by them and own 6-7 custom blades from them.

I just spent 10 minutes browsing their site & couldn't find anything about their sharpening service :confused:

Steve Demuth
10-11-2017, 3:19 PM

I use Forrest, and have been very satisfied both with their sharpening and repair.

John TenEyck
10-11-2017, 7:22 PM

How does that work?

Marc

I see they have updated their website, and omitted what they used to say about return shipping. They used to say they would ship your sharpened blades, bits, etc. back to you the same way you shipped them, UPS, Fedex, whatever. Now they say to call them. I assume that means those details will get worked out during that call. But Peter makes a good point about including a prepaided return shipping label in with your blades when you ship them out. In any case, you will pay the shipping both ways. No way they could offer free shipping for the prices they charge.

John

Joe Spear
10-11-2017, 7:37 PM
[QUOTE=Marc Jeske;2733189]Need a good circ blade sharpening service, mostly for common 10" for tablesaw, and 9" for odd old saws.

Somewhere I saw Steel is WAY cheaper than Carbide to sharpen. ? ?

Steel may be a lot cheaper to sharpen than carbide to sharpen--for each sharpening--but keep in mind that a steel blade is going to need sharpening many more times than the carbide for the same amount of cutting.

Bruce Wrenn
10-16-2017, 5:24 PM
I use Forrest, and have been very satisfied both with their sharpening and repair.And I'm sure you enjoyed OVER PAYING. Paid Forest almost as much as a WWII cost to replace three teeth that bit the dust when I hit a SKU tag staple that was hidden below surface. Sent friends 100 tooth melamine blade to Dynamic for identical repairs, and cost was only the cost of replacing teeth, in addition to normal sharpening. None of this double sharpening charges like Forest.

Joe Spear
10-16-2017, 6:12 PM
Dynamic does a fine job at a decent price, but what did you originally pay for your WWII that a sharpening and three teeth replacement cost almost as much as you paid for the blade? I've used Forrest for sharpening and tooth replacement, and, while it was more expensive than Dynamic, it wasn't THAT costly.

Steve Demuth
10-16-2017, 9:35 PM
And I'm sure you enjoyed OVER PAYING. Paid Forest almost as much as a WWII cost to replace three teeth that bit the dust when I hit a SKU tag staple that was hidden below surface. Sent friends 100 tooth melamine blade to Dynamic for identical repairs, and cost was only the cost of replacing teeth, in addition to normal sharpening. None of this double sharpening charges like Forest.

It's possible I spent more than I could have elsewhere, but it wasn't wildly out of hand. It certainly didn't hurt me.

Julie Moriarty
10-19-2017, 10:01 AM

How does that work?

Marc
It looks to me that the unanswered questions will be answered when you call them as per their instructions about shipping:

Product Shipping Instructions

To Our Plant

http://dynamicsaw.com/images/bullet.gif Please put your saw blades between layers of cardboard that are about an inch larger (on all sides) than the blade; Tape or staple the cardboard together securely so it pinches and locks the saw blades in position. Then take the blades sealed in cardboard and place them in a large enough cardboard box so they all fit when surrounded by crumbled newspaper or other packing material. Place a note in the box with your name, phone #, and complete return shipping address. Close box & seal. Ship tools to the plant address:
Dynamic Saw
551 Smith Street
Buffalo, New York 14210

Please follow up with a phone call to the plant, toll-free 888-528-0808, and give us your VISA or MasterCard information.