PDA

View Full Version : Lie-Nielson Rabbet Plane vs Veritas Block Plane

John Cavanaugh
11-01-2005, 8:41 PM
Being more of a power tool guy, this is new territory for me so bear with me if Im asking stupid questions.

Ive decided I need some type of block plane for cleaning edges etc. Ive ruled out the cheapies and decided to get something that will last, but which one??

I liked the LN Rabbet Block plane as that would give me a tool to clean things up on rabbets etc. But it doesnt have an adjustable throat.

On the flip side the Veritas Block plane is also highly regarded, has the adjustable throat but cant do rabetting.

I dont think I would be using rabbets much, but it sure would be nice to have a tool when I did. Or would the adjustable throat be a more beneficial feature?

Other than the advice of just buying both (which I dont have the money for). What would folks recommend??

--
John Cavanaugh

Alan Turner
11-01-2005, 9:07 PM
I favor a LN 60 1/2 block plane, and use its adjustable mouth pretty often. As compared to the LV, to me it has a mcuh better feel.
This is a pretty personal decision.

Hank Knight
11-01-2005, 9:15 PM
John, don't get hung up on cleaning out rabbits. A block plane is one of the most useful tools in the workshop. You will use for many, many tasks before you ever think about using it for rabbits. Pick out a good basic block plane first and get a plane for rabbits later, when you decide you really need it. The Lie-Nielsens and the Veritas are both great planes, you won't go wrong with either one. I suggest you consider a low angle plane with an adjustable mouth. A low angle block plane will do almost everything a regular block plane will do and more. I think they are more versatile than the standard angle block planes, but I'm sure others might disagree. If you really are set on a plane for rabbits, look the Lie-Nielsen skew block plane. It's a serious tool that is useful for both rabbits and dados (cross grain) and it functions pretty well as a block plane too.

Jim Becker
11-01-2005, 10:13 PM
I have the LN and love it. The Veritas is a very nice plane, however, and reviews well. But when I've had it in my hand at show, it didn't feel quite as "slinky" as the LN...but felt good just the same. Both are great planes!

John Todd
11-01-2005, 10:57 PM
When you consider that the LN is $150 and the LV is $109, I don't think there is any comparison. Both have comparable quality and materials. The Lee Valley Veritas plane just doesn't have as much beautiful bronze. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the LV Low Angle Block... and if you order it via the web, you'll introduce yourself to Lee Valley's legendary customer service. That said, if you have small hands, you MIGHT like the LN better since it is a little smaller. I've never regreted buying the LV, but have friends that love the LN.

Mark Singer
11-01-2005, 11:06 PM
I really like both lines of planes and have many of LN and veritas...for the block I would get the LN 60 1/2 it is a great plane and very versitile. The LN 102 is excellent as well... an it really will take a fine shaving...

John Cavanaugh
11-01-2005, 11:42 PM
It sounds like more folks are encouraging a low-angle block plane with the adjustable mouth vs getting the low-angle rabbetting block plane. I guess the adjustable mouth is a more valuable feature overall than the occaisonally rabbetting.

Now I guess I need to decide if the cool looks are worth an extra $50 to get the LN 60 1/2 instead of the LV low angle

--
John C

Dan Clermont in Burnaby
11-02-2005, 12:22 AM
I am going to go against the norm here and go withthe rabbetting block plane (LN 60 1/2R)

Personally, think you would be happier with both the LN 60 1/2 and a rabbetting block plane such as the 60 1/2R or the LN 140.

Keep in mind the adjustable mouth feature is a handy feature and well worth the money.

Definitely would buy the LN over the Veritas as I feel the Veritas to be too wide at least for my hands which are large to start with

Dan Clermont

Steve Wargo
11-02-2005, 12:26 AM
I vote LN 60 1/2.Having had the oportunity to use the Lee Valley and LN planes the 60 1/2 is certainly the most used block plane in my shop. It's heft, feel, and overall appeal are unmatched. It is just about as perfect a plane as you could ask for. It is certainly worth the extra $40. And if you hunt you can find it for $135 every so often. Just my $.02 FWIW.

Dan Forman
11-02-2005, 3:13 AM
I got my LN 60 1/2 here, still at $135 and free shipping. Best LN prices on the net.

http://www.finetoolj.com/ln/blockplanes.html

Dan

Peter Mc Mahon
11-02-2005, 5:57 AM
Hi John. I would agree with most of the others and say skip the rabbet option. It is speciallized and naturally compromises the everyday use of your plane. Going against the grain here though, if you don't own any planes I would forget the block and buy a #4 or something. You would get a lot more use out of a bench plane than a block plane. You can still clean up edges and chamfer as well as smooth and joint. Of coarse it is more money,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Peter

James Mittlefehldt
11-02-2005, 5:58 AM
Personally I am the reverse of many here it seems, I have held the Lie Nielson in my hands at shows and such, and frankly could not justify the extra it cost, more in Canada than the US. The LV low angle block plane with the adjustable mouth is very good indeed, and I seem to always have it within an arm's length.

I really think the decision between the two, LV and LN is mainly subjective, either one is a fine plane and will do you proud. I personally do not find the LV too heavy or large for my hand, and have used it for virtually any task a plane could be called upon to do, and have not found it wanting.

JayStPeter
11-02-2005, 9:55 AM
I have both the planes you are considering and use them both frequently. I just used the LN rabbeting block to fit up some tennons this weekend. Since it was out, I also shaved down a patch around a small mistake. The more I use this plane, the more I like it. That said, the LV plane is also excellent and I normally would've used it for the patch. I really like the adjustment mechanism on it better, but I do think the LN feels better in the hand. The LN is a little lower center of gravity so it is slightly easier at the start/stop. The disadvantage to the LN is that you cant bevel the edges of the iron a little and use it as a small smoother, which I find especially useful to smooth the joints on face frames. The edges of the iron will ocasionally dig in and create a groove of its own if there is no radius or bevel at the edge. You can't go wrong with either IMO. I'd give the slight advantage to the LN rabbeting block until you/I get some proper rabbeting planes. I had been thinking about selling the LN in favor of a LV medium shoulder plane, but don't want to anymore.

Jay

John Todd
11-02-2005, 10:41 AM
This whole thread proves the point that when choosing between "good brands" of planes (LN, LV, Clifton) in the end it's all subjective. While subjective notions of size, fit to hand, feel ARE valid, the only thing that sometimes irks me is when people say that LV planes are "ugly" or they don't have the beautiful bronze, or they don't like the rough "black pebble" finish in non-machined areas of the casting. Lee Valley planes are usually of as high a quality as LN, though they might take a more utilitarian view of appearance and "looks". Sometimes the "ugly" features of LV planes are actually more comfortable. The initial reaction to the LV Shoulder planes that had a very innovative design, was that they were ugly. Hardly anybody talks about how ugly they are anymore, just how much more control they have with the nobs and redesigned "rear grip"... a vast improvement over traditional designs used by LN, Clifton and others.

LN planes are wonderful... I have many. Just don't be afraid to save a little money and buy an ugly plane. BTW, I happen to like the larger size of the LV Low Angle Block (I also have the LV High Angle). I use them both as small smoothers occasionally, besides the usually uses of block planes for edge and end grain, and breaking sharp edges.

Savor your choices, and in the end, enjoy your new toy!

Mike Henderson
11-02-2005, 10:56 AM
I own the LV block plane and have used the LN (a friend's). The LN seems to fit into my hand better because it's a bit narrower. But the LV has a couple of features I like - it has a lateral adjustment while the LN does not. With the LN you have to move the blade from side to side with your fingers, and to do that you often have to loosen the blade - so setting it up is a bit more difficult.
Also, the LV has two screws that align the blade at the mouth which keeps the blade centered as you do lateral adjustments.
The LN is prettier when new, but the brass quickly tarnishes unless you're really into polishing it.
Both have excellent blades and on each there a large machined support at the mouth to support the blade.
The LV is a bit less expensive - $109 verses $135 - but not so much that it becomes a major factor.
You can't go wrong with either. Try to get your hands on both and see which one feels best to you. Let that make the decision for you.

Mike

Jerry Palmer
11-02-2005, 1:54 PM
Well, heck, I might as well jump in here, too. I'd go with a block, initially, and if you find yourself in need of something for rabbets, I'd go with the large LV Shoulder plane. Rabbeting capabilities and a wonderful plane for trimming up tenons.

John Todd
11-02-2005, 2:12 PM
.......is there anything worse than a bunch of Neanderthals talking about which plane is best?

Steve Wargo
11-02-2005, 3:54 PM
O.K. I'll chime in one more time. Is there anyone that has actually used both the LN and LV block planes and can honestly say that the Lee Valley is a better tool? I mean really honestly say that, man if I only had one block plane it would be the Lee Valley? 'Cause I've talked to a lot of people about this one, and the general consensus is the LN is head and shoulders above the LV. In every way. I'm not saying that every plane made by LN is the cat's meow and should be purchased over every Clifton, LV, or old stanley... but we're talking about the block plane here. The one plane that really sees a lot of every day use. Now is $25 worth that sacrifice? I know that I may be opening up a hole can of worms here, but I would really like to hear if anyone really, truely, honestly, and whole-heartedly does prefer the Lee Valley over the Lie Nielsen. Thanks. (step down from soap box)

John Todd
11-02-2005, 4:17 PM
I've used both LN and LV Adjustable Mouth Block Planes (just borrowed the LN thought and haven't used it much though)... here goes.

I own the LA and Regular Angle Lee Valley Adjustable Mouth Blocks and love the added size as well as the screws that hold the blade centered, and the Norris style Adjuster. Wouldn't trade them for anything...

Now I also have the little LN 102 Bronze that's handy too and the LN 60 1/2 R that I like almost as a shoulder plane (or should I say cheek plane).

I stand though on my choice of the Lee Valley for Adjustable Mouth Planes.

Taking the rest of the planes into the discussion....

LV's Bevel Up/LA planes- Two Smoothers, a LA Jack, and BU Jointer I feel are BETTER than LA offerings by LN

LV's Small and Medium Shoulder and Bull Nose Planes are Better than LN or Clifton or other Traditional Shoulder Planes with the "awkward" old fashioned rear handle. LV's new ergonomics are hands down better, with equal materials and manufacturing quality.

LV's "conventional bench" planes ARE NOT QUITE as good as LN or Clifton. Still very good, but I'm not sure I find the adjustor as easy to use, even though I thought I'd like it better. Good Planes though, high quality, and I don't think anybody would go wrong to buy the 4, 4 1/2, 5 1/4, or 6 that they currently offer. I have the #6 Fore Plane.

I have LN planes and scraper planes too.. but like my LV Block!

Keith Christopher
11-02-2005, 4:28 PM
I have the 60 1/2 R and I use it 90% of the time. I love it. But I seriously doubt you could go wrong with either of these two. I bought my "R" plane because I was needing to clean up alot of rabbets and tenons.

Happy tool shoppin' !

Keith

JayStPeter
11-02-2005, 4:29 PM
O.K. I'll chime in one more time. Is there anyone that has actually used both the LN and LV block planes and can honestly say that the Lee Valley is a better tool? I mean really honestly say that, man if I only had one block plane it would be the Lee Valley? 'Cause I've talked to a lot of people about this one, and the general consensus is the LN is head and shoulders above the LV. In every way. I'm not saying that every plane made by LN is the cat's meow and should be purchased over every Clifton, LV, or old stanley... but we're talking about the block plane here. The one plane that really sees a lot of every day use. Now is $25 worth that sacrifice? I know that I may be opening up a hole can of worms here, but I would really like to hear if anyone really, truely, honestly, and whole-heartedly does prefer the Lee Valley over the Lie Nielsen. Thanks. (step down from soap box)

I like the adjuster on my LV better than LN. As such, I use the LV more often because pulling it apart and sharpening it takes less time before I'm back to the task at hand (as opposed to fiddling on a test piece to get it just so). I try to reserve the LV for uses where the rabbeting capability is necessary. Based on some time spent with the regular LN block at a show, I actually think my rabbeting block (the one I don't enjoy adjusting) is easier to adjust than the non-rabbeting version. On the R version you can grab the sides of the blade and hold them in place like the set screws on the LV.
The LN feels nice and silky smooth in the hand and looks great. There's something to be said for that, but head-and-shoulders above is way too strong of a statement. As I said in my previous post in this thread, I may (or may not) sell the LN when I get a proper shoulder plane. I would like to use the proceeds to get the LV apron plane. That decision is a ways off but I do choose LV over LN.

I don't own any LN bench planes for the same reason. I have a bedrock and much prefer the LV adjuster. While it's likely the LN is nicer than the bedrock, I'm happy with my LVs.

Jay

Steve Schoene
11-02-2005, 4:30 PM
I favor a LN 60 1/2 block plane, and use its adjustable mouth pretty often. As compared to the LV, to me it has a mcuh better feel.
This is a pretty personal decision.

I like my 60 1/2, but it came from Stanley, by way of a $0.25 box at a tag sale. Mine has a 1/3/8" blade rather than the more usual 1 1/2" blade and fits really nice in my fairly small hands. LN may be nicer, largely because of the better blade, but it won't be often that you could tell the difference in use. Don't completely rule out the old stuff just because it is cheaper. Stanley 65's also have a feel that some people like.

Alice Frampton
11-03-2005, 4:22 AM
O.K. I'll chime in one more time. Is there anyone that has actually used both the LN and LV block planes and can honestly say that the Lee Valley is a better tool? Catergorically better? No. They're different planes with features some people will prefer on one over the other.
LN - narrower, looks nicer (IMO), lever thingy to adjust the mouth, it's a Lie-Nielsen.
LV - wider, better depth and lateral adjustments, chamfer/ball tail extras, cheaper.
Take your pick; both great planes, but I wouldn't like to say one is better than the other. Certainly neither is "head and shoulders" one above the other.

For the record, the LN is my dad's and the LV was on loan for review. If I had to pick one, I'd... erm... well I'd like the width and looks of the LN with the adjustments, extras and price of the LV - by next week please. :D

Cheers, Alf

John Cavanaugh
11-08-2005, 12:45 AM
Well I went to the woodworking show in CostaMesa over the weekend. I got the chance to hold and test both the LV & LN low-angle adjustable mouth block planes.

I had gone to the show with the intention of validating that I liked the LV/Veritas one, but ironically it just didnt feel right in my hand. The LN just seemed to have been custom made for my hand.

Like many of you have said, its not all about specs or price, the "feel" of a hand tool is very important. Well the LN 60 1/2 went on my xmas list, I hope I was good this year, maybe Santa will bring me one...

Thanks for all the assistance on what to pick.

--
John Cavanaugh

Alan Turner
11-08-2005, 4:09 AM
Yup. That's how you do a proper product review. PUt them in your hand. Good score.

Larry Feasel
11-08-2005, 12:39 PM
I have both the LV LA and the LN 140. The LV has the knob and tail. I find this is my go to plane. I use it for most everything, from end grain work to smoothing work. The adjustment feature is a very nice option to have on a block plane, it increases it usefulness. I have nothing but good to say about the LN, it is just the LV is my go to plane.

Don Dorn
11-27-2009, 4:34 PM
I don't own both but my friend has the LV block you are talking about and I've used it quite a bit. Even though it's quality can't be questioned, over time, he said that he has found it a little bulkier than he'd like. I feel that it's an advantage many times.

Conversely, I bought the LN rabbiting block plane that you are considering and love it. No, it doesn't have an adjustable mouth, but I can take shavings with it I can read through so I'm not overly concerned about it. It adjusts well and has good heft. I have a Stanley adjustable mouth block plane and it just gathers dust now. Interestingly enough, my friend that owns the LV says it's nice, but the lack of an adjustable mouth makes him want to pass. As to the rabbiting feature - I haven't needed to use it yet, but it serves well as a standard block and the feature is there when it comes time to trim tennons or a rabbit. (I don't have a shoulder plane yet)

Lastly, to just throw this in - I also bought a LN 103 low angle apron plane. I absoultely love it and frankly, reach for it first. It also gives tissue thin shavings and can easily be used with one hand. LV makes the same one and I would have no qualms with either.

Answer - I don't know, just thought I'd throw in some experience with both so you can possibly make a better informed decision.

Sean Hughto
11-27-2009, 5:27 PM
I find the rabbet block can pretty much do everything any block can do, but the reverse is not true. I find the ability to work righ tot he edge to be very useful all the time - not just for rabbets. I rarely find it necessary to mess around with throats. YMMV.

Zach England
11-27-2009, 5:50 PM
I have the LN 60 1/2 and the Veritas low-angle block. Personally I like the veritas better because it is larger, about 1/2 inch wider and is more comfortable in my hand. I added a picture for comparison. I'm not sure what the discussion of the LN rabbet plane is about, but in the picture you will see a Veritas medium shoulder plane, which is also a fine tool. The Stanley no. 4 in the background is for size reference.

I'm new at this and don't have any advice except that I use the block planes a lot more than the rabbet plane, but for a lot of jobs the rabbet plane is the only thing that will get it done.

Sorry the picture is so hazy. I don't know what the deal is with my camera.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o237/zachslc/IMG_0441.jpg

Zach England
11-27-2009, 5:56 PM

I am new to this, but I do have and use both. I think the overall quality of the LN is first among equals, but I prefer the Veritas because it feels more comfortable to me. The fit of the parts on both planes is very nice with the LN getting a slight edge for the finishing.

Lately I have been keeping a toothed blade in the Veritas and using the LN more for general purpose work. I have no complaints, but eventually I think I'll get a toothed blade for the LN (I assume they make one...) and keep the regular blade in the Veritas.

Pedro Reyes
11-27-2009, 6:42 PM
I own both LN 60-1/2 and LN 60-1/2R.

I am not going to opine on LN vs LV, both manufacturer's have great tools, to me is like having, a $20 a shot of Tequila vs a $21 a shot of Tequila after you've had 10 shots already, you just can't tell much difference, and everything seems great.

On Rabbet vs Adjustable mouth, it depends on what you are doing most. An adjustable mouth is a great feature when you are planing long grain, cleaning up spots, treating edges. But I see little to no value when planing endgrain or crossgrain. Y use my 60-1/2R to trim tenons (crossgrain) with an extremely thin setting, in which case the rabbet feature is preffered over adjustable mouth.

I got the adjustable mouth first if that's any hint ;).

/p

Randy Klein
11-27-2009, 9:13 PM
You'll eventually have more than 1 block plane so the question is which one should be first. In that case, I would get the LAAM one. But if you insist on owning just one, you may want to wait until LV releases their skewed rabbet block plane.

Zach England
11-27-2009, 10:13 PM
I just took off most of the nail on my pinkie finger with the LN block plane. in case anyone was wondering, it is apparently also good for this purpose. I am not testing the veritas to see how it compares.

David Keller NC
11-28-2009, 9:51 AM
Well I went to the woodworking show in CostaMesa over the weekend. I got the chance to hold and test both the LV & LN low-angle adjustable mouth block planes.

I had gone to the show with the intention of validating that I liked the LV/Veritas one, but ironically it just didnt feel right in my hand. The LN just seemed to have been custom made for my hand.

Like many of you have said, its not all about specs or price, the "feel" of a hand tool is very important. Well the LN 60 1/2 went on my xmas list, I hope I was good this year, maybe Santa will bring me one...

Thanks for all the assistance on what to pick.

--
John Cavanaugh

John - Better add some sharpening equipment to your Christmas list. Regardless of the fine quality of the LN/LV planes, neither brand will perform well without some additional honing of the blade. Yes, they're sharp enough out of the box to run down to the workshop to try out your new toy, but there is a vast difference between the way the blades come from either factory and their sharpness after a honing. And unlike a power tool, a plane's performance drops off very, very rapidly when it's in the "time for another honing" stage.

Check the FAQs for sharpening - there have been boatloads of threads debating which method is "best". Generally, it would be best for you to ignore the debate about which method is superior - because there isn't one, they all work. But reviewing the threads will give you an idea of what the necessary equipment is for each.

Stephen Reid
11-28-2009, 10:00 AM
I hope he has made up his mind by now,this is a 4 year old thread!

Rob Fisher
11-30-2009, 7:03 PM
...if you insist on owning just one, you may want to wait until LV releases their skewed rabbet block plane.

This is what I am waiting for. Do we know yet when it will be available for purchase? :D

Rob

John Keeton
11-30-2009, 7:15 PM
It is my understanding (from Rob Lee) that it will be January before they have sufficient inventory to offer the plane to the public. However, I am sure that can change at any time depending on production.

Rob Lee
11-30-2009, 7:43 PM
It is my understanding (from Rob Lee) that it will be January before they have sufficient inventory to offer the plane to the public. However, I am sure that can change at any time depending on production.

Hi -

Working on the LH tooling now... then a pre-production batch of each...:D

Right now - we're making as many mini-shoulder planes as we possibly can... at least, until late next month....

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Fisher
11-30-2009, 8:38 PM
Hi -

Right now - we're making as many mini-shoulder planes as we possibly can... at least, until late next month....

Cheers -

Rob

So we are still on track for a January release then? ;)
Any ideas of cost? Any more tantalizing photos? :D

Thanks,
Rob

Rob Lee
11-30-2009, 9:44 PM
Hi Rob -

Schedule shows Jan 22nd....

Unfortunately - no more photo's until we run the next batch.... we've sent what we had out of the country...

No costing confirmed either - but that will firm up once we've finished up on the tooling, and have finalized the finished product...

I will have photos later of the NX60 that's been sitting on my windowsill since last November.... outside, during the wettest summer in decades here.... :)

Cheers -

Rob

Tony Zaffuto
12-01-2009, 8:03 AM
Being you're mainly a power tool guy, I'd suggest "dipping your toes" into a plane you'll use far more than you would ever believe: LN 102. Don't let the lack of an adjustable mouth deter you as the mouth is very fine.

I have a lot of planes (mainly from SWMBO and the kids), including the 102, the LN 60-1/2, the LV, the LN 60-1/2R and the 102 is hands down my favorite. It feels like an extension of my arm and is just the thing for "tweaking"!

One issue not mentioned about the 60-1/2R is I find myself "staining" my projects virtually everytime I use it! I'm forever nicking a finger on the side edge of the blade!

Rob Lee
12-01-2009, 8:29 AM
Being you're mainly a power tool guy, I'd suggest "dipping your toes" into a plane you'll use far more than you would ever believe: LN 102. Don't let the lack of an adjustable mouth deter you as the mouth is very fine.

I have a lot of planes (mainly from SWMBO and the kids), including the 102, the LN 60-1/2, the LV, the LN 60-1/2R and the 102 is hands down my favorite. It feels like an extension of my arm and is just the thing for "tweaking"!

One issue not mentioned about the 60-1/2R is I find myself "staining" my projects virtually everytime I use it! I'm forever nicking a finger on the side edge of the blade!

Hi -

I have to agree with Tony (format - not necessarliy brand! :D )... I use my Apron plane the most, and I have more than a couple of planes....

Cheers -

Rob

John Keeton
12-01-2009, 8:38 AM
...and I have more than a couple of planes....

Cheers -

RobNow, that has to be the understatement of the year!!!!:D:D:D

Prashun Patel
12-01-2009, 9:23 AM
John-
I just found this thread. I agree that you can't go wrong with either maker. Personally, I find their 60 1/2's easier to use - not bkz of the throat, but because of the depth adjustment.

Another caveat: if you really want something to clean up tenons and rabbets, I don't think these planes are what you want (please correct me if I'm wrong). The plane cheeks get in the way of going all the way up to the shoulder of your cut. You'll need to use a chisel plane, rabbet plane or chisel to address that need.

Tony Zaffuto
12-01-2009, 5:55 PM
Hi -

I have to agree with Tony (format - not necessarliy brand! :D )... I use my Apron plane the most, and I have more than a couple of planes....

Cheers -

Rob

It was a Christmas present, I swear Rob!

Seriously, I have a variety of planes by both manufacturers and the difference between the two is more aesthetics, with both doing exactly what they are supposed to! Incidentally, the adjustable mouth LV block plane (low angle) was a "special" by Rob, without the circular indents on the side. I have the knob and tail options on it, along with the chamfer attachment, as a permanent chamfer plane. Works very, very well.

David Dalzell
12-01-2009, 6:24 PM
For what its worth I have several LV planes and like them very much. However I have the LV block plane and find that it is somewhat large for my hands. I have large hands but still it is uncomfortable to use one handed. Two handed is fine. I am currently looking for a somewhat smaller block plane that will be comfortable one handed.

Rob Lee
12-01-2009, 7:25 PM
It was a Christmas present, I swear Rob!

(snip) Incidentally, the adjustable mouth LV block plane (low angle) was a "special" by Rob, without the circular indents on the side. (snip)

Geez - I forgot about that!!! That'll be a collectors item some day - as I think we've changed tooling since then....

Cheers -

Rob

Matt Stiegler
12-01-2009, 8:03 PM
For what its worth I have several LV planes and like them very much. However I have the LV block plane and find that it is somewhat large for my hands. I have large hands but still it is uncomfortable to use one handed. Two handed is fine. I am currently looking for a somewhat smaller block plane that will be comfortable one handed.

Chris Schwarz's write-up of the LV premium block plane said this: "This is a two-handed plane in my book. If you can wield it with one hand and take a heavy cut you probably can palm a watermelon. It took me about 30 minutes to get comfortable with the tool because I definitely think there is a right way and wrong way to hold it."

Bill McDermott
12-03-2009, 2:16 AM
John,

Confirming the Christmas list suggestion...

One of the first three planes I owned was grandpa's old stanley block plane. Super handy tool. But the first plane I bought was the L-N Block Rabbet. I still use them both, frequently. That said, if I had to do with just one block plane, I would keep the L-N Rabbet Block as my small plane.

Because; I'm guessing you do not have a shoulder plane. The Rabbet Block can do the work of any block olane AND it can cover for the shoulder plane you may put on next year's list. Handy, handy.

While we are making wish lists... the L-N Brone 102 is just the cat's meow. Front and center on the bench and in hand all the time. Not the first block plane, but a special one for sure.

Enjoy any and/or all of them.

Rob Fisher
02-15-2010, 7:56 PM
Hi -

Cheers -

Rob

Rob,

Any update on the LV skew rabbet block plane? Price? Pics? Availability? :D:D:D

Rob

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-15-2010, 11:18 PM
I also am lucky enough to have both. I do clean up tenons to adjust fit so I use the open sided block plane. I also like the low angle block with adjustable throat. Why not buy the dual use plane now and buy the other when you can afford it.
fmr

Paul Murphy
02-16-2010, 12:08 AM
I would buy one of the adjustable mouth low angle block planes, and then a shoulder plane. The shoulder plane will trim tenons as well as shoulders.

The quality low angle block planes are great for trimming dovetail pins after glue-up. I have Record that chatters doing this, but the LV or LN will trim endgrain and make it look easy. A second blade sharpened for 38 degrees will set you up for face grain.

David Gendron
02-16-2010, 12:43 AM
I have the LV LA block and the apron plane and the apron plane is definitly used a lot, it is so confortable with one hand, and realy the fact that the mouth is fixed is not a problem 98% of the time!

Rob Lee
02-16-2010, 7:15 AM
Rob,

Any update on the LV skew rabbet block plane? Price? Pics? Availability? :D:D:D

Rob

Hi Rob -

RH version is in production now, with the LH to follow. We won't release until end of March/early April. Right now - we're cranking on the detail rabbets - as they'll have a very attractive intro price. Also running through the machine shop is our new quick release tail vise - which will come ahead of the skews. Right now - price looks to be about $195.

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Fisher
02-16-2010, 8:50 AM
Hi Rob -

RH version is in production now, with the LH to follow. We won't release until end of March/early April. Right now - we're cranking on the detail rabbets - as they'll have a very attractive intro price. Also running through the machine shop is our new quick release tail vise - which will come ahead of the skews. Right now - price looks to be about $195.

Cheers -

Rob

Awesome! I'm super excited! :)

Rob

Paul Murphy
02-16-2010, 9:25 AM
Also running through the machine shop is our new quick release tail vise

Cheers -

Rob

I've always wanted to add a tail vice, but the prospect of endless rotations of the Acme screw put me off. This sounds like just the thing!:)

Mike Henderson
02-16-2010, 11:05 AM
I'll add a comment about quick release vises. I bought a quick release front vise. The quick release mechanism is one where you back off the screw and then pull the vise out. Then when you start to screw it back, the threads engage and you can tighten it.

I eventually disabled the quick release. The problem was when I wanted to open the vise a small amount - I couldn't do it with the screw. As soon as I backed off the screw, the threads disengaged. Then I'd have to pull the vise out, then start screwing it back in to engage the threads, etc.

The disengagement mechanism was great for large movements but a pain for the many small movements I found I used in normal operation.

What's needed is a disengagement mechanism that's triggered separately from the use of the screw so you can use it for large movements but have normal vise operation for small movements.

Mike

Paul Murphy
02-16-2010, 12:11 PM
Mike, good observation. I have a couple of the Record quick release vices with the seperate release lever, and they have been a joy to use for well over a decade. If LV makes a quick release mechanism I have high hopes they will set the quality standard.

Roy Wall
02-16-2010, 12:49 PM
I'll add a comment about quick release vises. I bought a quick release front vise. The quick release mechanism is one where you back off the screw and then pull the vise out. Then when you start to screw it back, the threads engage and you can tighten it.

I eventually disabled the quick release. The problem was when I wanted to open the vise a small amount - I couldn't do it with the screw. As soon as I backed off the screw, the threads disengaged. Then I'd have to pull the vise out, then start screwing it back in to engage the threads, etc.

The disengagement mechanism was great for large movements but a pain for the many small movements I found I used in normal operation.

What's needed is a disengagement mechanism that's triggered separately from the use of the screw so you can use it for large movements but have normal vise operation for small movements.

Mike

Mike -

On my LN front vise (which is quick release).......it will slide back and forth UNTIL you try and screw it tight - then it catches.

SO - for my thin stock, I slide it out wide........and then push it back with no twist of the handle......then tighten. Very simple.
Perhaps not all quick releases work this way??

Rob Lee
02-17-2010, 10:38 AM
(snip)

Mike

Astute observation.... hope someone does something just like that....;);):D:D

Cheers -

Rob

Tony Shea
02-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Wow, are we still recomending what plane to get for this guy. If he hasn't decided in the past 4 years I don't think he ever will. Who knows if he's even still working wood.

Rob Fisher
02-17-2010, 11:17 AM
Wow, are we still recomending what plane to get for this guy. If he hasn't decided in the past 4 years I don't think he ever will. Who knows if he's even still working wood.

No, we are now owwing and ahhhing over new LV offerings. :D:D

Tony Shea
02-17-2010, 11:20 AM
I see, there is def nothing wrong with that. What a tool junkie this hobby/trade turns us all into.

Loren Hedahl
02-18-2010, 11:12 PM
While it has been over four years, the subject is as current as ever. Just last week I decided to replace my Stanley 60 1/2 with a Japanese blade that I'd given to my son.

I noticed this thread and read through each comment. In the end I decided I would be satisfied with either plane.

The local woodworking store I haunt every once in awhile had a LN 60 1/2 that they let me admire and fondle. I was smitten!

Perhaps if they had stocked the LV line of planes I would be the proud owner of a N60 or D60.

However, I feel very fortunate to be able to afford either and am sure I will love my LN for many years.