PDA

View Full Version : Custom Stainless Steel Pots

Prashun Patel
10-03-2017, 9:59 AM
I need to have manufactured 20 stainless steel pots with lids of a specific size. If any of you know a reputable custom metal fabricator anywhere in the northeast, please pm me.

Matt Meiser
10-03-2017, 10:35 AM
Possibly check into brewery supply companies.

Bruce Page
10-03-2017, 2:09 PM
What is the approximate pot size? There are 3 basic approaches, spinning, hydroforming & deep drawing. None will be cheap. It’s better to re-engineer your requirements to a standard available size, if possible.
I had this company: http://www.amalco.com/ do some deep drawn vessels for me in the mid 90’s. High quality but expensive.

John K Jordan
10-03-2017, 2:35 PM
What is the application? You say "pots", do you mean stove-top cooking pots? Can they be made by welding or do they need to be seamless? I bought some stainless steel drums from a local company and was quite impressed by the quality of the custom stainless steel vessels in progress in their shop. At first I was a little surprised based on the name of the company: Bubba's Barrels. http://www.bubbasbarrels.com/ I suspect there are similar custom fabricators in your area that cater to distillers and brewers. I also suspect the price will be through the roof.

I assume you tried googling "custom stainless steel pots". I see Alibaba lists some but most look like they are in China.

JKJ

Yonak Hawkins
10-03-2017, 9:59 PM
Almost any metal fabrication shop should be able to do it or, at least, recommend someone who can. You should be able to find someone very close unless you live way out in the boonies. There are, at least, four places, probably six, in my town (a town of 25,000), one right across the road from me, that could do that job.

Bruce Page
10-03-2017, 10:54 PM
Yeah, if you’re just looking for roll & welded or a turned piece of SS pipe with a welded bottom almost any fabrication shop can do it. A lot depends on the size & tolerance requirements.

Prashun Patel
10-04-2017, 8:54 AM
Thanks. These are industrial mixing vessels for a chemical dosing machine (think home store paint color mixer x 100). The machine manufacturer of course charges an arm and leg for the pots ($600 per pot).

There's nothing special about the pots except that they should be stainless and durable, and must fit certain diameter/height/weight requirements to insure proper operation.

I'm looking into Bubba's. The funny thing is the compressed air lines that service this same machine had some odd fittings that I could only find at a brew supply store.

Thx.

Adam Herman
10-04-2017, 10:10 AM
I would not expect anything custom to be less than 600 dollars.

this reminded me of our gym. The owner asked me to quote building some pieces for the rack, new pull up bars and a few accessories. I got prices for the steel, added in my time and came up with a number a bit higher than what he can order non-custom for, and that is with no overhead for a building, health insurance, power, etc.

michael langman
10-04-2017, 10:25 AM
In some cases it is hard to beat a manufacturers price, because he deals in volume, or has the capability do fabricate everything.
It is going to be hard to find someone with the tooling to make the pots because of the size requirement. But you never know sometimes.

Kev Williams
10-04-2017, 3:44 PM
just did a quick google for fun, found an Indco '10 gallon 304 SS mixing vat' for $500, and that's an off-the-shelf deal, spendy...

Marc Jeske
10-04-2017, 7:56 PM
Prashun - If Pot won't be under pressure...Have you thoroughly looked into large "stock Pots" at Restaurant supply Houses ??

Cheap ones- light Ga, ..spend more - Heavier Ga.

With the amount of info you gave.. who knows, maybe a possibility.

That Bubba's has some interesting stuff, good link. Marc

I see up to 100 quart here as example - https://www.webstaurantstore.com/2733/stock-pots-accessories.html

Dave Lehnert
10-04-2017, 9:27 PM
Not too long ago had a stainless steel box made with a hinged door. aprox 3'x2'x12" tall by a custom shop. $1,400.

Prashun Patel
10-05-2017, 12:58 PM
"Have you thoroughly looked into large "stock Pots" at Restaurant supply Houses ?"

In fact, I ordered a turkey fry pot from Webstraurant as a test. It works perfectly. $69 + free shipping ;)

These even come with lids, and syringes (which will be great for future glue use).