PDA

View Full Version : Engraving Into Wood Timbers, What Type Setup Do I Need?

Joe Wood
10-02-2017, 7:03 PM
So what type setup would I need to cut this (not quite finished) logo into some clear wr cedar 6x8x 8' posts? Or maybe into the 4x10 beams? I'd have the timbers in the shop. The logo would be maybe 3" square. I wouldn't be doing a lot of these so don't need high end equipment.

whoops, didn't see this is the laser forum, don't know if laser is the way I want to go?

Bert Kemp
10-02-2017, 7:38 PM
I think the easiest way would be to have a branding Iron made

So what type setup would I need to cut this (not quite finished) logo into some clear wr cedar 6x8x 8' posts? Or maybe into the 4x10 beams? I'd have the timbers in the shop. The logo would be maybe 3" square. I wouldn't be doing a lot of these so don't need high end equipment.

whoops, didn't see this is the laser forum, don't know if laser is the way I want to go?

Bert Kemp
10-02-2017, 7:40 PM
A laser you would need at least something with a 8 or 10 z axis

Joe Pelonio
10-02-2017, 7:44 PM
Most of the lasers will not handle that size in their cabinet, mine can do up to about a 4x4 and that’s with the sides of the cabinet removed. That would take a gantry style. A friend bought one used, 5’x10’ work area used for $80,000. A CNC
router would be far more cost effective, or even have a branding iron made for a few hundred.

Joe Wood
10-02-2017, 8:03 PM
Hhmmm, never thought about a branding iron. What are some types I can look at??

Kev Williams
10-02-2017, 10:10 PM
As noted above, not many lasers can do timbers due to the length and thickness of the wood. The AP lasers, which are designed as an open gantry with no cabinet, would work...

Most CNC engravers don't have enough Z depth to handle the thickness you're talking about, although my XT machines will engrave 4-1/8" thick x 25" wide by any length (I can fit in the basement ;) )...

But my little 3400CL can engrave an 8" x unlimited area (in sections) on 16" x 16" x any length items.

BUT-- the branding iron is the best idea, you can do 1 or 1 million, and all you need is some heat -- and if you have it made in steel, a NuWave induction cooktop will get one blazing hot in about 30 seconds :D

It would take about 2 hours of machine time to decently engrave a branding iron from scratch, roughly $250 or so to have it done- Best quality would be to have the iron made by EDM, where a copper negative is engraved and used as the electrode. Cost will be about the same, but the electrode can be used to make 2 or 3 additional irons before it wears out..

Google 'wood branding irons' and go to images, lots of ideas there!

Matt McCoy
10-03-2017, 8:40 AM
Joe: What is your budget for this project?

Bill George
10-03-2017, 8:56 AM
A working (key word) K40 laser type with the bottom cut out and a longer focus cone. It would take some time to get one that works and the mods needed. Highly suggest changing the control system over to a DSP and get the use of some decent software.

Joe Wood
10-03-2017, 9:56 AM
My budget would be around $100 to $150 for the branding iron but I don't know anything about irons or what they cost. I'll probably spend more it looks like.

Are there branding irons that have their own heat source?

How deep do those burn into the wood??

Lee DeRaud
10-03-2017, 10:57 AM
My budget would be around $100 to $150 for the branding iron but I don't know anything about irons or what they cost. I'll probably spend more it looks like.

Are there branding irons that have their own heat source?

How deep do those burn into the wood??The ones I've seen with their own heat source are electric and quite a bit smaller than you're looking for. That said, you can get a cheap propane torch for $20 or so. If you want "deep", like more than 1/8", a branding iron won't get it done. And the cedar will darken over time and start to obscure the burn.

For your job, I'd try to find someone in your area with a large CNC router, one with enough Z-axis to handle your largest timber. Check the Shopbot forum maybe?

Mike Null
10-03-2017, 11:36 AM
My branding iron was shaped from flat steel and welded (and unused) but is not expensive and could be used for what you want to do. It is about the same size. It was a gift and I don't know where it came from. My guess is that it was less than $50.

AL Ursich
10-03-2017, 1:40 PM
Thinking outside the box.... How about a sand blast setup with a Rubber Stencil cut at a local Grave Stone Company followed by some spray paint....

Bert Kemp
10-03-2017, 5:34 PM
as long as your were doing the engraving close to the end of the timber any laser with a 9 inch z or th bottom cut out of it would work. But really the branding Iron would be your easiest way to do it and cheapest.

John Blazy
10-04-2017, 9:56 AM
I would think that the branding iron idea will lose much detail, as the heat would follow grain and connect lines along the grain where you don't want them. Joe needs to take a pc of metal, grind a screwdriver like tip, then heat it and brand some wood to see the effect. The laser is truly the best way for detailed marking, and most "front loading" lasers could handle the 6" depth if any one of us took a grinder to the front rail of the entry doors. I am nearly about to do that on my laser. There is no reason for the upper part of the metal rail. Right now I can get 4" thick material through it, so its a matter of cutting 2" off the top of the 4" rail to get a 6 x 8 in there. Maybe need to add some steel underneath a little first, but it can be done quickly.

From an economical standpoint, I think Joe should simply make a phenolic stencil and spray his company info onto his timbers - better detail than a branding iron.

Robert Bonenfant
10-04-2017, 10:34 AM
Joe I would look into going with a Cnc router, from your older Post if I remember correctly you where looking for a CNC shop to produce some gazebos for you. They should be able to handle engraving this item for you as well. Lasers are great but to accommodate the size your looking for its going to take a larger laser, Most likely a highend brand and this is not easy to find a shop to do this. A Cnc Router would have this job done in a few minutes.

P.S. - You might be seeing a order from me very shortly for one of your plans. The Azumaya is a very cool design and would be a great winter side project for my backyard.

Mike Null
10-04-2017, 11:18 AM
You could have a pattern made by laser then use it to route the image on the timbers. Then you could paint fill and sand if you chose to do so.

Joe Wood
10-05-2017, 8:55 AM
Real good Info guys! yeah I'll probably have my cnc shop cut these when they cut the rafters for the azumaya.