PDA

View Full Version : Making R4512 table saw air tight

Joey Stephenson
10-02-2017, 4:47 PM
I'm duct taping all the gaps between the cabinet and legs/top to help the dust collection (shop vac, for now) get maximum air flow through the throat plate down to the dust port on the bottom. The bulge for the motor on the side of the cabinet has vent holes on top, is it a bad idea to block those off? That is a major area of air flow loss right there, wondering if I need to leave that open.

I don't run the saw for very extended periods without stops, so heat build up there probably isn't a very big issue I'll just deal with it if need be, and make an overhead pvc collection system.

glenn bradley
10-02-2017, 4:50 PM
You need 'return air'. There needs to be openings that will supply the amount of air being drawn out by the vac. If you have a total area about the same as the vac intake, you should be fine. A little larger would make it easier on the vac and increase your airflow.

John TenEyck
10-02-2017, 5:03 PM
What Glenn said. Once your workpiece covers the throat plate it's sealed. There have been several articles in FWW and other mags on how best to do that.

John

Joey Stephenson
10-02-2017, 7:17 PM
Ah yes, of course. Good point, thanks!

Bill Dufour
10-02-2017, 7:56 PM
the point is to make the return air come through where the dust is being created/thrown and then carry the dust towards the suction port. It probably makes sense to form intake vents to channel the incoming air towards where it will do the most good as it flows towards the dust ports.
Look at a car radiator placement for ideas. there is more ducting in the low pressure zone then after the fan.