PDA

View Full Version : Dumb DC question

Peter Gavin
11-01-2005, 10:42 AM
Okay, I know there is an easy answer to this but I can't figure it out. I am trying to finally set up a dust collector with a 5" inlet (Penn State). Unfortunately, most of my machines only have a 4" outlet. In order to maximize my air flow, I've hooked up a 10' 5" hose from the DC with a 5" to 4" reducer at the end where I will hook it up to the machines. How do you get the two 4" peices to connect (Hose end and machine)? They don't slip into each other. I could buy a 10' length of 4" hose and cut off about 8" as a connector, but that seems like a waste. Any other ideas? None of the Borgs have a short length of 4" connector that I could find.

Thanks

Peter

John Branam
11-01-2005, 10:48 AM
Try Rockler or Woodcraft, I used a quick connect from the dc hose to my tools.

Bill Lewis
11-01-2005, 10:50 AM
I think every machine I have that has a 4" outlet works with a 5" x 4" reducer. The reducer slips over the machine outlet just fine. However if you have an hvac flanged collar or some other homemade 4" adapter, then you do need a short piece of 4" flex hose (outside), or a very short piece of 4" pipe (inside) to connect the two. The pipe is alot cheaper.

On the other hand, if you have homemade adapters, it might even be cheaper to upgrade them to 5" and skip the reducers etc...

John Bush
11-01-2005, 10:56 AM
Hi Pete,
I used 4-5" sections of the 4" pipe with clamps for permanent attachment and I use a couple of quick disconnects for the drum and combination sanders. I got the connectors at Rockler and I chose the cheaper(~~$4.00) ones and they tend to fall off if tugged on, so I'd look more closely at the better ones for better retention. Good luck, John.

Peter Gavin
11-01-2005, 10:57 AM
My Jet 4" outlets are the same size as the 4" reducer. I was hoping to avoid another mailorder before being able to use the DC, but i guess that is what I'll have to do.

Peter

Dan Racette
11-01-2005, 11:05 AM
I am having the same EXACT problem. I bought a reducer from woodcraft from 6 to 4 inches. (jointer in 6 and system is 4). Unfortunately that leaves me with a exact mate of pipe. I think I need a "union" in plumbing terms and that sounds like what you need here too. Whatever the name of the fitting in DC terminology, I'd like to know what it is as I do not want to buy an entire length of 6ft hose. (the solution proposed by my jointer seller). the hose, they say, would act as a "mate".

dan

Bart Leetch
11-01-2005, 11:39 AM
This may not be what your asking but I think it may help someone.

With a 4" piece of PVC using hose clamps & cutting a 5/8" slice out of the side wall glue & clamp the edges back together. This should fit snug inside a 4" piece of PVC if not a wrap of duct tape will make it fit tight & the other end will fit inside your flex tube.

Lee DeRaud
11-01-2005, 12:38 PM
Doesn't help you any (since there's no Rockler in Madison) but I guess this answers the question of why Rockler sells 1' lengths of 4" hose...

Jamie Buxton
11-01-2005, 7:21 PM
If the two pieces of duct you're trying to fit together are sheet metal, one answer is to buy a crimper. It looks kinda like a big pair of pliers. It makes those crimps you see in the end of sheet metal duct. The crimps make the crimped end of the duct a little smaller in diameter, so that it fits into the uncrimped mating duct. IIRC, the crimper cost me $20 or so, and maybe I bought it at Home Depot. If that isn't the source, try a real HVAC place.

Another use of the crimper is to solve the issue which folks were debating here a few weeks ago -- that conventional (i.e. HD) round duct fitting are crimped backwards to the air flow in a chip collection system. You can use the crimper to put crimps on the other end of the fitting, and a little hammering removes the OEM crimps. Voila - an inexpensive fitting whose crimps run the way you want.

Jamie Buxton
11-01-2005, 7:23 PM
Yeah, Home Depot....
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?prod_id=166158&cm_mmc=1hd.com2froogle-_-product_feed-_-D25X-_-166158&srccode=cii_14110944&cpncode=08-1999674-2

John Miliunas
11-01-2005, 8:27 PM
Yeah, if you're using HVAC type ends, that crimper Jamie refers to is super! I used a LOT of HVAC connectors on my system and the tool saved my hide numerous times!:)

Now, if you've got the same ID/OD configurations and are trying to mate them, Dan R. "almost" had the solution. Go to your local hardware store or one of the Borgs and check their plumbing section. Most will have rubber couplers for connecting PVC sewer ends together where some "play" or flexibility is needed. They're rubber and have hose clamps on either end. Not the cheapest way, but very effective and still a darn site cheaper than buying a whole length of coiled hose, which the balance you now have laying around somewhere.:) :cool:

Peter Gavin
11-02-2005, 8:53 AM
Nope, they are not sheet metal or HVAC type. I think I'll swing by Wodcraft and see what they have tonight. I sure hate to pay their prices for something so simple though.

Peter

John Miliunas
11-02-2005, 9:08 AM
Nope, they are not sheet metal or HVAC type. I think I'll swing by Wodcraft and see what they have tonight. I sure hate to pay their prices for something so simple though.

Peter

If they don't have it at WC, check for the pipe fittings at Menard's. That's where I got mine when I had my 4" system at the old shop. Went from 4" PVC to 4" plastic DC wye fitting. Worked great! :) :cool:

Peter Gavin
11-03-2005, 8:55 AM
Farm and Fleet had 4" Sleeve connectors that were designed to do exactly what I wanted. :) Only $1.99 and no shipping. The 45 minutes I spent wandering around Menards trying different peices of tubing was a complete waste.

Peter:mad:

John Miliunas
11-03-2005, 9:32 AM
Farm and Fleet had 4" Sleeve connectors that were designed to do exactly what I wanted. :) Only $1.99 and no shipping. The 45 minutes I spent wandering around Menards trying different peices of tubing was a complete waste.

Peter:mad:

Well, glad you found what you needed. I like F&F, though none of them are too close for me. I'm a bit surprised you couldn't find one of those rubber connectors at Menard's. Which one did you go to??? BUT, I'd also be interested in knowing what type of connector you found at the Fleet. That sounds like a great deal and may need to keep that in mind for future reference.:) :cool:

Peter Gavin
11-03-2005, 10:27 AM
John,

I found the rubber connectors, but they seemed a bit too tight (as I'm going to be just moving the DC from tool to tool) to change easily. The Farm and Fleet conectors were in their DC parts section along with their Ys, Blast Gates, etc.

Peter

ps Farm and Fleet on Stoughton Road.