PDA

View Full Version : Identity Theft Protection

George Bokros
10-02-2017, 7:56 AM
Norton (Symantec) is offering identity theft protection included in your anti virus subscription. To sign up you need to supply a whole host of information like bank account info (routing number, account number), driver license number etc, social security number, etc. I would imagine the social security number is normally required. Does Lifelock require all this info?

Thanks

Charles Wiggins
10-02-2017, 8:38 AM
Not a subscriber. I have Zander ID Theft Protection (https://www.zanderins.com/idtheft2). With them, it's up to me how much personal data I give them.

From Lifelock's Terms page"

In order to enroll in, register for and receive one or more Services, you must provide us with the full and accurate Personal Information that we require for the applicable Services, which may include without limitation your name, address, telephone number, email address, date of birth, driver's license number, Social Security number, and other personal information to verify your identity, as well as financial information such as your credit card number (collectively, "Personal Information").
https://www.lifelock.com/legal1/terms

Chuck Wintle
10-02-2017, 12:45 PM
Norton (Symantec) is offering identity theft protection included in your anti virus subscription. To sign up you need to supply a whole host of information like bank account info (routing number, account number), driver license number etc, social security number, etc. I would imagine the social security number is normally required. Does Lifelock require all this info?

Thanks

i would not give anyone or anything that kind of information. There is no telling how well it be safeguarded...just look what happened to equifax.

Kev Williams
10-02-2017, 4:45 PM
Being the conspiracy theory goofball that I am, I always have to wonder if LifeLock, Norton and others don't have someone doing the hacking just as 'job security'. I've had my credit card number hacked 3 times within 4 years, but never from these 'big computer hacks' we keep hearing of. All three of my breaches were the result of buying something or giving to charity- and paying - over the phone. I stopped that practice over 3 years ago, and so did my account hacks.

I also worry about companies like Paypal or those I buy from regularly online having my CC info, but so far, so good.

And FWIW, I've been with _____ Bank for over 50 years, and in all 3 of my hacks, they caught on immediately. I'm confident there's virtually no way anyone could simply empty my bank account...

Edwin Santos
10-02-2017, 4:51 PM
I don't see how that can protect your identity WITHOUT obtaining all that information.

How can they scrub the internet looking for unauthorized use of say your Social Security number if you won't give it to them in the first place?

Jim Koepke
10-02-2017, 5:05 PM
I don't see how that can protect your identity WITHOUT obtaining all that information.

This reminds me of a friend who got tired of having advertising pieces thrown on to his driveway. He called up the distributor and yelled at them, "quit throwing your advertising on my driveway" and hung up.

He couldn't figure why it didn't stop. He didn't want to give them any information they might be able to use.

jtk