PDA

View Full Version : My dust deputy efficiency

Rick Potter
10-02-2017, 3:22 AM
Emptied out my Dust Deputy after a couple years of track saw and general use. The bucket was a couple inches from the top, and the shop vac had almost nothing inside.

Edit: Sorry, tried to put pics on, but no luck.

Charles Lent
10-06-2017, 10:06 AM
I have a re-purposed whole house vacuum system with a Dust Deputy in the line ahead of it that I use for vacuuming my shop floor, cars, and trucks. I also use it for my scroll sawis and drill presses. My results have been the same. Nothing has made it past the Dust Deputy that ended up in the central vacuum's filter or collection container that was visible. The exhaust from the vacuum goes outside, so nothing ever gets back into my shop. The central vacuum unit did collapse my first bucket withing the first minutes of use though. I then realized that the top third of the bucket hadn't collapsed, as it was ribbed on the outside. Stacking three of these buckets together tripled the bucket wall thickness and provided ribs all the way down the top bucket. No more bucket implosions.

I have since obtained a metal 20 gallon barrel and built a plywood lid for it with the Dust Deputy relocated to this plywood top. It'll likely be years before I can fill this barrel, and it is considerably stronger than even the three bucket stack of the plastic buckets, which were re-purposed pickle buckets from the Firehouse Subs food chain. They sell them for $2 each, which gets donated to the local fire companies. These buckets are stronger than the common white buckets that are readily available, but getting rid of the dill pickle odor is difficult. Time and Sunlight work better than anything else that I tried. Just leave them out in the Sun with the lids off for a couple of weeks.

Charley

Rick Potter
10-07-2017, 3:35 AM
one more try for photos....

First the bucket, almost full. Then the Shop Vac, almost nothing there. I store the wheels in there, because the space is not used for anything else.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3YJYocuP7Ht3qiSD2

glenn bradley
10-07-2017, 9:39 AM
Your experiences mirror my own. I collect more spoil over a shorter period of time but, I use one of the vacs to clean up with as well. Many of you know I abandoned the original vac barrel because it was effectively useless with the DD; no spoil. I built a crude "version 1" to hold the filter with a small spoil chamber.

Even after emptying the bucket many times over many months, I find only a few random curlies in the spoil chamber.

The spoil on the filter is so fine I run the filter under the faucet to clear it. Even at that it was hardly worth the effort. The only unfortunate side effect is that the "version 1" made out of scrap particle board works so well that I never seem to get around to making a nicer one :o. Some day . . . .