PDA

View Full Version : DIY Sewer cleaning?

Andy Henriksen
11-01-2005, 9:54 AM
So our sewer line got clogged up with roots, and started backing up into the basement floor drain. We called the local plumber guy, and got hit with a $145 bill for maybe 30 minutes worth of work, and I had to miss a few hours of work to wait for him (which isn't all bad).

Anyway, after watching him with his power snake/saw thingy, I realized that it was pretty much a no brainer job, and that given the tool, i could pretty easily do it myself. Can you rent the tool? What is it even called, exactly? Anyone done this yourself? I'm just thinking ahead for the next time.

Ken Garlock
11-01-2005, 10:06 AM
Andy, I would call the auger, just that, a sewer auger. I have used them a couple times, and like you say it is easy to do but messy. Most any tool rental store will have them. Just go in and tell them that you need to clean the roots out of your sewer and need the machine to do it. They will know exactly what you need. Also, let them know how long a sewer run you need to clean, that may influence the size machine you rent.

Sounds like you have a tree that is begging to become fireplace fuel.:mad:

Andy Henriksen
11-01-2005, 10:25 AM
Sounds like you have a tree that is begging to become fireplace fuel.:mad:

Thanks Ken! Unfortunately, my neighbors would not be too pleased with me, were I to take out their tree. Actually it's in the city ROW, so I'd have them after me too. So for now, I'll just plan on renting a "sewer auger" in a couple years.

Joe Pelonio
11-01-2005, 10:37 AM
The sewer auger is also known as a power snake. It is a nasty job, not as bad if you are using a cleanout that's outside with the cap on the ground. If you go in the basement and use the end cap for access you will have a straighter shot so it works better but watch out when you pull it back out. Oh, and don't use draino soon after cutting the roots, unless you want the tree dead. We did that and killed the big old magnolia, the cut end of the roots sucked it up.