PDA

View Full Version : Pepper mill mechanisms

Blake McCully
11-01-2005, 8:44 AM
Hi all,
Has anyone recently ordered any pepper mill mechanisms from Chef Specialties? I ordered some about six months or so ago, and the 8" mechanisms were only $5.50 each, while CSUSA sells them for $10.50, quite a bargin. I was just on their site this morning and noticed that they (Chef Specialty) more than doubled their price, the 8" mechanism is now $11.10. What's up with this?

I plan to call them later today to see if the last time I bought them was some sort of special deal, or what. If I find out anything, I'll repost on this thread.

Kurt Aebi
11-01-2005, 11:23 AM
Blake,

I "Googled" for Chef Specialties and noticed that they seem to have (2) websites and in the chefspecialties.com site the price you say above is listed. The second hit was for chefspecialties.net and the price was $5.50. I copied the link for you to check out.

http://store.yahoo.com/chefspec/pepsalmilmec.html

Both sites list the company being in Smethport, PA - so I am not sure what's going on with them????:confused:

Chris Barton
11-01-2005, 8:33 PM
I would consider an order with them but, "4-6 weeks for delivery" is just a bit long...

Tom Mullane
11-02-2005, 6:34 AM
The absolute best grinder mechanisms I have found are the Crush Grind mechanisms.... CSU is now selling them...
I have made a couple of mills for a friend's restaurant using them and he says they are the best he has ever had... claims the grind is perfect and the mechanisms the smoothest he has ever used with ease of adjustment...
I have a salt and peppermill in the house made from them and love them....

Blake McCully
11-02-2005, 8:52 AM
Thanks Kurt, checked out the link and that's the price I paid earlier.

Tom,

The absolute best grinder mechanisms I have found are the Crush Grind mechanisms....
I checked out these mechanisms. Phew, fifteen bucks a pop. That's pretty costly. I've just gotten my process down for the regular grind mechanisms. I think I'll just use these for a while. Looking at PSI's instructions, it looks like there is a whole lot more fussing around with the crush mechanisms than there is with the grind type.

After I get bored with the grind type, I'll look into the crush type. I've only made one mill so far. It's my prototype and we're using it here at home. We've bought a number of commercially constructed mills and were never really satisfied. So far, two days, we are very pleased with this mechanism. It seems smoother than the ones we've used and the adjustment is really pretty precise. Saying that, I will be looking forward to trying the ceramic ones. Let me know if there are other sites with more reasonable (my term) prices. I couldn't find anything on google.

Thanks for all the info guys.

Bill Stevener
11-02-2005, 10:46 AM
Hi Blake,
I must agree with Tom. CrushGrind Is with out a doubt, the best mechanism you can obtain. I started buying them from a friend, a few years ago, in England. Have gotten to know the folks at CrushGrind, via e-mails very well, No-you can not buy them direct, great folks. The number one item I turn is pepper mills, never had a return, every one thinks they are great.
For what it's worth, my only advice is try one, I don't think you will ever go back. Well worth the money and effort. I personally, very highly recommend them.
Hope this helps some, Bill.>>>>>>>:)

Matthew Poeller
11-02-2005, 11:15 AM
Interesting thread since I have a couple crush grind machanisms on the way. First time that I am going to try to turn a pepper mill.

Any suggestions?

Also, Bill, do you mind if I ask what you charge for a pepper mill?

Thanks,

Matt

Bill Stevener
11-02-2005, 11:41 AM
Hi Matt,
I am sure you will enjoy the CrushGrinds, If you look in my Public Profile, you will find my web page, and the info. you requested, and more.
Thanks for asking, hope this helps some,
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Matthew Poeller
11-10-2005, 11:18 AM
Bill,

I just had time to look at your website. There is some great information on there thank you.

Also I would like to tell you that your work is wonderful. Very very nice. Now I have a goal!!

Thank you,
Matt

Bill Stevener
11-10-2005, 7:24 PM
Hi Matt,
Glad it was of some help, and Thank You for the kind words.
Can't wait to see yours and Blake's mills.
Have a safe and fun day, Bill.>>>>>>>>>>:)