PDA

View Full Version : Walnut slab

Jesse Busenitz
09-30-2017, 6:34 PM
I had a bunch of walnut milled about 6 years ago and had a 8/4 slab cut out of the middle of the tree so it's like 20" wide and 12' long. I had it stickered and it dried pretty flat, but then I pulle it off the stack to get to some wood beneath it. Well I forgot to put it back on the pile and it got rained on a couple times and it cupped about 1.5" across the width. I put it back on the pile and put a bunch of weight on top, but it hasn't moved much. Would it do anything to get it wet again?

John K Jordan
10-01-2017, 7:44 PM
I had a bunch of walnut milled about 6 years ago and had a 8/4 slab cut out of the middle of the tree so it's like 20" wide and 12' long. I had it stickered and it dried pretty flat, but then I pulle it off the stack to get to some wood beneath it. Well I forgot to put it back on the pile and it got rained on a couple times and it cupped about 1.5" across the width. I put it back on the pile and put a bunch of weight on top, but it hasn't moved much. Would it do anything to get it wet again?

Jesse, I'm guessing it probably won't press back into flat.

I haven't tried it with walnut but I have with other woods - wet the cupped side. For construction lumber I usually just lay it on the ground with the cupped side down and the convex side in the sun and even 2x12s straighten out pretty quickly. For hardwoods I might try a different method with a spray bottle. However, the differential stress might cause cracks, I can't guess. If you don't need to save the entire length you might cut a piece off one end and experiment. Also, any way you can use it like it is, for example rip into narrow pieces, flip every other one then glue? (assuming it has had enough time to dry again after it was soaked in the rain)

JKJ

Danny Hamsley
10-02-2017, 7:46 AM
I agree with John. Pressing it flat will not relieve the stress that caused the cupping in the first place. You could lay it on the grass outside with the cupped side down for a couple of nights and see what happens. There is nothing to lose by trying. If it does flatten out, re-sticker it so that both sides are getting air flow and let it air dry to equilibrium again.

Frank Drew
10-02-2017, 11:58 AM
Jesse,

If the slab was cut out of the true middle of the log it probably contains the pith so you probably want to rip it right through there since the pith usually cracks/checks.

Danny Hamsley
10-03-2017, 7:50 AM
I have had good luck with walnut not cracking at the pith. Oak and cherry on the other hand are terrible.

Jesse Busenitz
10-04-2017, 10:56 PM
I'll try getting it wet and putting it in the sun. It just seems like if it originally dried flat, it should be able to go back.