PDA

View Full Version : Any fans of SRV blues guitar style?

Bill Jobe
09-30-2017, 5:14 AM
While reading up and listening to Bo Diddle, watching his videos and such I became curious about B.B.King, an artist I'd spent little time on, I came across this 16 year old girl from Australia.
She just blew me away. And to think, she's only been playing guitar for 3 years.
One guy made a comment about this or one of her many other YouTube videos that she makes too much facial distortion. I like how one guy responded with "She's not a performer. She's an artist."
I have to agree. Big difference.

https://youtu.be/RrlCyFVtFLE

Jerry Thompson
09-30-2017, 8:07 AM
I like many SRV tunes. A good impromptu video on YouTube is "Sound Check."

glenn bradley
09-30-2017, 9:22 AM
"Any fans of SRV blues guitar style?"

You mean there are some who aren't? You can follow this style back to before Leo ever thought about a Stratocaster. Blind Lemon Jefferson and Robert Johnson for example. Stevie was one practitioner who had the gift, that is for sure. I can't even imagine the level he or Jimi would be playing at if they had lived longer.

Jim Becker
09-30-2017, 9:33 AM
She's very expressive and when you consider that this style is "all feels", she gets it right. Amazing young artist...Orithani may have some young competition in the guitar chops from this girl!

Jim Koepke
09-30-2017, 1:58 PM
"Any fans of SRV blues guitar style?"

You mean there are some who aren't? You can follow this style back to before Leo ever thought about a Stratocaster. Blind Lemon Jefferson and Robert Johnson for example. Stevie was one practitioner who had the gift, that is for sure. I can't even imagine the level he or Jimi would be playing at if they had lived longer.

It was a movie, Crossroads with Ralph Macchio and Joe Seneca that turned me to listening to more of the blues. The movie was linked to the life of Robert Johnson.

Listening to the young girl get down on her guitar was refreshing. She is good.

jtk

Bill Jobe
09-30-2017, 9:18 PM
https://youtu.be/EKHS94QNUEs

Art Mann
09-30-2017, 10:02 PM
I wonder how she would do playing Scuttle Buttin - well not really.

John K Jordan
09-30-2017, 10:23 PM
A good friend of mine, Alan Iglasias, is a biggest fan of SRV style and SRV that I know. He has an active SRV tribute band in Southern California: http://www.alaniglesias-and-crossfire.com/
Guitar fans might like to see what he uses: http://www.alaniglesias-and-crossfire.com/ The one I played felt great (and sure looked "authentic").

(Alan and I were both active in the 3D computer graphics, modeling, and animation field and visited often)

Alan even tracked down the person who made Stevie's hats and commissioned one for himself!

If in CA and like Stevie maybe look him up!

I'll check out the video, thanks.

JKJ

Art Mann
10-01-2017, 6:29 PM
I listened to some of the demo tunes and he is good.

Bill Jobe
10-09-2017, 3:53 AM
Who do you consider to be the best blues guitarist performing today?

Bill Jobe
10-09-2017, 4:00 AM
I saw Kenny Wayne Shepherd when he opened for Dylan in 1996. Don't hear much about him lately. Any other current blues artists similar to SRV?
I suddenly became interested in his style after stumbling upon Eva Kourtney while looking for B.B
King and Bo Diddley videos. Never have been a huge fan of King, though. Doesn't play enough during songs. Similar, in my opinion, to Clapton. It's as though they'd rather sing than play guitar.
Probably get rebuffed for that, but that's my take. Play the $&#! guitar, man !!!

Bill Jobe
10-09-2017, 4:11 AM
I hear a blues guitar in my head all day long anymore, and my mind creates the way it's played and it somehow works, though I have zero musical talent. Can't even read music. I just know what I like when I hear it.

Allan Dozier
10-09-2017, 7:59 AM
My favorite style of music! She is really good. You really need to watch the whole video as she works down to the short strings.

Bill Jobe
10-09-2017, 12:00 PM
My favorite style of music! She is really good. You really need to watch the whole video as she works down to the short strings.

Oh, I have. Many times. Hard to believe she's only been playing guitar for 3 years.

Sam Force
10-09-2017, 1:51 PM
Gotta throw Joe Bonamassa in the thread. An excellent guitarist and singer, I listen to a lot of his music

Bill Jobe
10-09-2017, 2:11 PM
Gotta throw Joe Bonamassa in the thread. An excellent guitarist and singer, I listen to a lot of his music

I lost a brother several years ago and he was a huge fan of Bonamassa. He had the rare privilege of seeing Joe in a very small venue in Iowa....just a hundred or so fans. He said he made his way to the stage and stood in front of the speakers and that Bonamassa's performance was his favorite memory. Said Joe interacted with him by playing directly at him for a short while and my brother told me later the show was similar to one very long orgasm (I hope that term is acceptable here at SMC).

Sam Force
10-09-2017, 8:24 PM
Sorry for the loss of your brother, never thought of Joe's music in that way before but I am smiling as I crack up the volume

Bill Jobe
10-09-2017, 10:07 PM
Sorry for the loss of your brother, never thought of Joe's music in that way before but I am smiling as I crack up the volume

Crank it up a little more in memory of Dave, one of the kindest hearted guys you could ever meet. I know he'd be smiling, too. He was also a big fan of Eric Johnson. And,of course, his greatest love musicaly, Hendrix.
I spent many long hours scouring the net for Hendrix Rainbow Bridge for him, but failed. That was 8+ years ago, though. Probably everywhere now.

My God, how I do miss him.

Bill McNiel
10-10-2017, 10:10 PM
Derick Trucks is yet another off the scale blues guitarist. If you are into this at all check out Clapton's annual Crossroads Guitar Festival held in Chicago every year, you will be amazed at the folks who show up and play together.