PDA

View Full Version : question about water based finish

Jim Andrew
09-29-2017, 9:04 PM
I build a lot of projects from walnut, and have been harvesting my logs if possible with the stump attached. Built a couple of bedside tables, and used the stump lumber in them, and when I finished them with polyurethane finish, the twisted grain turned almost black, it was so dark. Would this also be true for the water based finish, or would it less dark? I like the look of natural walnut, and a little contrast between sapwood and heartwood is welcome, but not crazy about the super dark look. What I really like is the way twisted grain kind of changes with the light, if that makes sense.

Justin Ludwig
09-29-2017, 9:25 PM
try starting with a water based wash coat or a coat of lacquer sanding sealer before you poly it. The poly won't penetrate as deep.

Wayne Lomman
09-30-2017, 6:10 AM
Do a test. It's the only way to be certain. Cheers

Jim Becker
09-30-2017, 9:38 AM
I find that water borne finishes on walnut ... by themselves ...leave a somewhat dull coloration. So I typically oil, add a barrier coat of de-waxed shellac and then use my water borne top coat normally. The first two steps add a little dimension and warm color to counteract the "colder" color that's typical of water borne finishes.

Please do keep in mind that walnut, unlike most other species, gets LIGHTER over time and will eventually turn a golden brown, regardless of how "dark" is appears after first cutting and finishing it.