PDA

View Full Version : Impact Drivers

John Schoenauer
11-01-2005, 2:26 AM
I am looking to purchase an Impact Driver. I read the artical in Workbench but wanted to know if anyone has used any of these tools? I have had good luck with Bosch tools and would probably lean that way, but I am willing to check out any brand.
In my research I have cheked into Bosch, Dewalt, Rigid, and Makita. I know that I want a 14.4 volt powered model and was hoping to later buy a cordless drill that could use the same batteries. During my search I came across Makita's combo with their impact driver, cordles drill and light, that Amazon sells for $217. which would come out about $80 cheaper that buying these tools seperatly. What knodlegge do you have on Makita cordless tools.
Thanks for your time.
John Schoenauer

P.S. For anyone near Sioux City IA Nov 11 & 12 Tool Depot is having their fall tool show.

Tom Hintz
11-01-2005, 3:15 AM
I ws a bit wary of impact drivers for woodworking but after using them for a while I have changed my view.
I have a review of the Bosch 14.4V Impactor (very good tool) at the link below with photos and details on its features if that might be of help.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/bimpactorrvu.html

John Lucas
11-01-2005, 4:34 AM
John,
If you ahvent needed one, you might be able to do without. The amount of "impact" is quite a variable between machines. I have a Bosch impact drill/driver that I urchased 10 years ago to drill into brick and concrete. That is all it does. I dont think I would use it on wood projects. I sugegst you not get one and instead rent one the next time you thik you need one.

Hank Knight
11-01-2005, 6:59 AM
John, take a look at the Panasonic. They've come out with a new impact driver that's the cat's PJs. I bought one 4 months ago and I couldn't be happier with it. It's 12V, but Panasonic's battery technology is way ahead of everybody else's and it gets as much torque and more run time than other 14.4 volt tools. Panasonic was running a promotion: buy one of their impact drivers and they will send you their 12V drill/driver free. The 12V drill/driver is wonderful. It's tiny, but the ergonomics are great and, like the impact driver, it gets great torque and run time from the 12V battery. I think the promo is still on, but I'm not sure. I'm also a Bosch fan. I have several Bosch routers, a 14.4 drill driver and one of their rotary hammers - great stuff, but the Panasonic impact driver beats the Bosch hands down in my opinon. I have no affiliation with Panasonic; I'm just a very happy customer.

Jim Hager
11-01-2005, 7:04 AM
John, I have the Hitachi 12v impact driver and I am sooo glad that I got it for my shop. I put a lot of face frames together with pocket hole jointery and it is wonderful for that as well as for mounting hinges and just general driving screws.

We have the Bosch model you mention at school where I teach and it is also a very good tool but it is heavier and more cumbersome to me than the Hitachi. Just an opinion now. Everyone has got one of those:rolleyes:

Matt Meiser
11-01-2005, 7:28 AM
I have the 12V Dewalt and use it constantly. It is much better balanced for driving screws than a drill and drives them so easily. The impact combined with square drive screws is the ultimate combination, but even with philips bits, the bit slips much less.

Richard Wolf
11-01-2005, 7:46 AM
I purchased the Makita a couple of years ago when they first really hit the market. I use it everyday for work and it is one of the best tools to drive screws. I'm sure most brands have now matched proformance but they do make a great addition to your tool selection.

Richard

John Miliunas
11-01-2005, 8:11 AM
I'm with Richard on this one. I picked up the Makita a few months ago (12V) and it's a heckuva' unit. Mine is the one with the LED "headlight", which is handy in confined spaces and, speaking of that, it's very light and compact!:) I got mine from AllPro Tools when they had a special on it, which included the 12V M-Force drill, all for right around two bills. Very happy with!:) :cool:

CPeter James
11-01-2005, 8:38 AM
I have the Dewalt 14.4 and love it. I bought the Dewalt 14.4 because I had a Dewalt drill that uses the same batteries. I have used the Makita 12V and really liked it, too. I think that any of them would be fine. Get the one that uses the same batteries as your drill and you get extra batteries to use in both. These impact drivers will drive screws easier and faster than drills and also drill good with spade or auger bits. I have a 1/4" and 3/8" socket adapters for mine and use it to drive nuts and bolts. It puts out about 95 ft/lbs of torque. It is half the weight of a drill and twice as fast. One of my best investments.

CPeter

CPeter

Tyler Howell
11-01-2005, 8:40 AM
14V Makita, just because it is the same battery as all my other Makita tools. #1 tool in the shop.
Sees more duty time then all the others put together.:cool:

:cool:

Harry Goodwin
11-01-2005, 10:14 AM
I own both a 24 volt Bosch and Milwaukee 18 volt. Are you folks driving screws in the hammer drill mode? Harry

John Miliunas
11-01-2005, 10:18 AM
Harry, not the same animal. The impact "drivers" aren't nearly as aggressive as hammer drills. Typically, more rpm's, as well.:) :cool:

Harry Goodwin
11-01-2005, 10:23 AM
John appreciated that note I had never conceived using it that way either. My son a locksmith has another animal a Milwaukee rotary hammer that will drill in concrete like butter. Just checking. Harry

Harry Goodwin
11-01-2005, 10:28 AM
John: I have one of those things as well. It's a Milwaukee about 12 volts but thus far have used it on bolts for heavy stuff. I have the driver parts for driving screws but have been using other drivers. Maybe 70 is having it's toll on the brain. Thanks for the wisdom. Harry

Mike Weaver
11-01-2005, 10:30 AM
I've owned a Makita 12v cordless drill for close to 10 years now. Works like a champ!

It's definitely my favorite cordless tool.

Cheers,
-Mike
PS I'm a hobbyist

Walt Pater
11-01-2005, 7:35 PM
I have the Bosch 14.4. Can't live without it for installs. Everybody who uses it falls in love. Also, Bosch's cordless warranties cannot be beat. Kiss your old drill/driver goodbye.

Bill Fields
11-01-2005, 7:46 PM
John:

If you are a pro--please ignore this.

I have a bunch of Harbor Freight 18v tools including several drills, saws, grinders, small chain saw, disc sanders, etc.. They all work well, but would not trust them to stand up to everyday work.

The price is great--better yet when on sale, All the batteries/chargers are interchangeable, and I suspect they are compatible with one of the "quality" brands--maybe Dewalt?

On the other side of this I have a couple of Makita VSR 3/8" drills /9.6 volts and I cannot kill them--they go like the Energizer Bunny. The outside finish is so trashed that one might imagine they can't work--but they have for 13 years.

Best

BILL FIELDS

Gene Collison
11-01-2005, 7:46 PM
I have the Makita 12V, it quickly became my go to tool for driving. I can't say how the others are but the Makita has great low speed control, I returned a Dewalt because it didn't. You can slowly power the bit around until it lines up with the fastener. A 12V tool will easily drive 1/4" X 6" lag bolts, for home use 12V, should be big enough.

Gene

Bill Ryall
11-01-2005, 8:12 PM
I have a 14.4 Makita. I use it both at home and work constantly. I hemmed and hawed for a long time before buying it, and promptly kicked myself for watiting so long to buy it. It is really nice for driving long lag bolts over your head...

Bill R.

Dar Lounsbury
11-02-2005, 12:47 AM
I'm like many of the replys, I bought a Makita combo at work. Liked it well enough, I had to have one of my own at home. Nothing but Bosch before this. Would do it again in a heartbeat. Try one or the other, you will not be sorry.:) :) :)

John Schoenauer
11-02-2005, 9:37 AM
Thanks for the replies. I will be checking what is available for the best price between the Makita and the Bosch next weekend.
John Schoenauer

Richard McComas
11-02-2005, 1:48 PM
Take a look at the Panasonic EY7202GOW, I watched a demo with a little hands on at the Las vegas show this year. I think while it's a little more pricey than the others it has a couple feature that makes it worth it in my opinion.

It has a digital clutch which I belive is the only impact driver out with that feature and it has mode that when you pull the trigger the rotation of the bit is only turn a quarter turn at a time for precise setting of the screw head.

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/ab/pana/ey7202gqw.htm?E+coastest