PDA

View Full Version : DW 621 Router inconsistencies

Frank Hagan
11-01-2005, 1:41 AM
Well, I purchased a brand new DW621K plunge router kit with edge guide from Amazon.com, and it arrived several weeks ago. Then, after seeing a great review of one of Pat Warner's router bases, I sent off for an offset base for it. As some of you know, Pat Warner sends things very quick, and I was a little embarrassed to receive the new offset base before I had sent a check for it ... so I fired off an email and told him the "check was in the mail" :eek: and I would let him know how I liked the offset base after I tapped the holes for the screws and gave it a test drive.

Pat was very surprised that my router did not have tapped holes. We've been corresponding on it, and he asked for the serial number and country of manufacture (Serial 150082, made in England). He asked for the copyright on the back of the manual, as they usually update them frequently, and its .... 1996. Egads!

Does anyone know how to read the serial numbers for the corresponding date? Could I really have gotten a 1996 router from DW? I don't have anything to compare it to, so I can't tell if the plunging mechanism is as good as everyone says it is ... but to me, its a little stiff.

The motor passes the "smell test" like its never been turned on, and it is supposed to be a brand new unit. I need to run by one of the big box stores and see if they have a new one there I can compare it; as it is, I have no idea if the "stiffness" I'm feeling is normal or not.

Andrew Ault
11-01-2005, 12:01 PM
I have a Dewalt 621 plunge. I've had mine for several years. Everything on my example works well. The holes in mine were indeed tapped. Mine might be from 1996, I haven't checked. I just know it works well for me. It you'd like, I can check the serial number of mine for you to compare yours to.

One thing about Pat Warner...he's fast! :) He's a good guy. The offset base is really handy and Pat certainly is a great fabricator - very precisely made. I have his round base for it as well. I'm going to buy another router soon, and I'll get a base for it as well. When I bought my router fence from him, he gave he some lessons in it's use. It was a pleasure to watch him work - very methodical and efficient.

If you think it would help, you might try exercising the mechanism for a few minutes and then waxing the posts.

- Andy

Dave Richards
11-02-2005, 6:58 AM
Frank, I've had my DW621 for several years as well. The holes in the base casting were all tapped. I'd bet your router just got a base that somehow bypassed the stage at which those holes get tapped. I imagine if you called DeWalt or sent them an e-mail, they'd be interested and would at least send you a new base.

I found them very helpful when I asked for dimensioned drawings of the bases for the 621 and 625. They sent them in the mail to me. The drawings only showed locations and no call outs for tapping.

Frank Hagan
11-02-2005, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the responses!

My only concern was that perhaps there's something else amiss with the router that I am not catching. It was easy enough to get a 6mm tap and tap the holes, and the Pat Warner base fits perfectly. And everything else seems to be OK.

The plunge mechanism seems stiff to me, but I tried a few others at Home Depot, and they were also stiff ... never having a plunge router before, I think I'm just unfamiliar with how they usually feel. I still want to "eyeball" another DW621, but Home Depot didn't have one. I'll try the local Lowes to see if they carry them.

Dave Richards
11-02-2005, 1:00 PM
Good idea to look at a few others to get a comparison. You might see if a local Sears has one in stock. Our Sears store usually has a display unit although I've never seen any new in the box units there. (Loads of Craftsman branded ones, though.)

When you compare, make a note of the serial numbers and countries of origin. Might be educational.