PDA

View Full Version : Kanefusa saw blades

Andrew J. Coholic
09-28-2017, 9:43 PM
We are predominantly a woodworking shop, using solid wood and veneers. For the past several years, I have been using (on my 10' Griggio slider and 14" Omga RAS) Kanefusa 14" combination, ripping & ATB blades. I also have many good industrial blades from makers like NapGladu, Royce/Ayr, FS tool, etc. They all cut well but something about the Kanefusa blades just is like magic. The cut quality, feel when cutting etc is amazing.

I've been doing more melamine cutting (mainly for modern Euro style cabinetry or just melamine boxes instead of lacquered veneers) the past few years, and again, I have been using several good industrial blades and split scoring saw. I wanted to get my hands on a Kanefusa TCG and scorer to try but put it off for the past year. Today I finally took the time to get a set I ordered on the saw and give it a go.

Wow, it did not disappoint! The cut and finish on melamine was just incredible. There is something special about these blades it seems. Anyone else using Kanefusa have the same results VS other companies?

Phillip Mitchell
09-28-2017, 9:54 PM
Where are you buying them?

peter gagliardi
09-29-2017, 6:41 AM
I bought several from Quinn's saw service in St.Louis , MO.
Blades are as you describe, very excellent. They cut with very little pushing force needed. Unfortunately, they do not seem to have a well known presence, and therefore, you might have to order and wait for them to come from Japan.
I could easily get rid of all my other blades, and just run these.
Their catalog is quite extensive though.

By the way, Quinn's is far and away the best sharpening service I have used in 25 or so years of business.

richard poitras
09-29-2017, 7:33 AM
How are the prices compared to other brands?

peter gagliardi
09-29-2017, 8:08 AM
Prices for me were well in line with other quality brands I have bought for professional blades.
You can definitely find cheaper blades if you look, and that is your main focus.
For me, I can't find any reason to look at another brand after using these.

One other thing I forgot to mention, is how incredibly quiet they are while cutting. This is directly related to cut quality.

David Zaret
09-29-2017, 8:15 AM
just curious, how do you feel they compare to Tenyru? i've been running tenyru blades on my slider, and so far i'm pretty happy. i have some kanefusa tersa knives for the j/p, clearly well made, but never considered the table saw blades... any experience in that comparison?

thanks for sharing your experience.

peter gagliardi
09-29-2017, 8:30 AM
For me, I have only used the Tenryu blades in a skilsaw, or a chopsaw, so not a direct comparison. My recent Tenryu blade experiences are that they are above middle of the road, but not the best I have used.
Matsushita, if you can find them for the smaller machines like above, are the best I have used in them.

David Zaret
09-29-2017, 8:32 AM
i'm running a 350mm blade for the slider. i'll look into kanefusa. thanks again peter.

James Zhu
09-29-2017, 11:12 AM
We are predominantly a woodworking shop, using solid wood and veneers. For the past several years, I have been using (on my 10' Griggio slider and 14" Omga RAS) Kanefusa 14" combination, ripping & ATB blades. I also have many good industrial blades from makers like NapGladu, Royce/Ayr, FS tool, etc. They all cut well but something about the Kanefusa blades just is like magic. The cut quality, feel when cutting etc is amazing.

I've been doing more melamine cutting (mainly for modern Euro style cabinetry or just melamine boxes instead of lacquered veneers) the past few years, and again, I have been using several good industrial blades and split scoring saw. I wanted to get my hands on a Kanefusa TCG and scorer to try but put it off for the past year. Today I finally took the time to get a set I ordered on the saw and give it a go.

Wow, it did not disappoint! The cut and finish on melamine was just incredible. There is something special about these blades it seems. Anyone else using Kanefusa have the same results VS other companies?

Where do you buy the Kanefusa blade in Canada?

Joe Calhoon
09-29-2017, 11:13 AM
We got a Kanafusa combination blade through Peter and liked it so much I bought 2 more from Quinn. We cut mainly solid wood on our slider and this is the perfect blade for this. I will echo they are good on the sharpening. We had a good local sharpener and when they sold the business it went downhill so it was good timing to find Quinn.

I would like to get a fine crosscut blade for solid wood. Peter, did you end up getting anything for this purpose?

glenn bradley
09-29-2017, 11:17 AM
It is a wonderful thing when you find that blade (or blades) that seem to take a leap up from the pack. When we find the one that works better for us (this varies with what you do, of course) it is good to shout it out so that others can benefit from our experience. Thanks for sharing the brand. I was not aware of them.

Andy Giddings
09-29-2017, 12:59 PM
Where do you buy the Kanefusa blade in Canada?

AK Hurst has some for sale and they also ship to the US

James Zhu
09-29-2017, 1:59 PM
AK Hurst has some for sale and they also ship to the US

Thanks Andy.

I find Kanefusa fine crosscut blade and glue joint rip blade on their website, not combination blade though.

https://shop.akhurst.com/canada/kan27-11-8x072txd-01-g.html
https://shop.akhurst.com/canada/kan27-12-0x050txa20-01-g.html

Andy Giddings
09-29-2017, 4:10 PM
Thanks Andy.

I find Kanefusa fine crosscut blade and glue joint rip blade on their website, not combination blade though.

https://shop.akhurst.com/canada/kan27-11-8x072txd-01-g.html
https://shop.akhurst.com/canada/kan27-12-0x050txa20-01-g.html

You might need to call them, James. Agree that their website selection for Kanefusa is small

Andrew J. Coholic
09-29-2017, 7:55 PM
Where are you buying them?

Nap Gladu and also through Akhurst Machinery

Andrew J. Coholic
09-29-2017, 7:58 PM
Prices for me were well in line with other quality brands I have bought for professional blades.
You can definitely find cheaper blades if you look, and that is your main focus.
For me, I can't find any reason to look at another brand after using these.

One other thing I forgot to mention, is how incredibly quiet they are while cutting. This is directly related to cut quality.

First think I noticed years ago when we started using them was the reduced noise.

This is scoring and main blade set is whisper quiet. I can even hear the scorer

Andrew J. Coholic
09-29-2017, 8:04 PM
I just ordered 4 more blades today. I have a lot of blades for a small shop but am always looking for something better. I think the Kanefusa will be very hard to beat based on my experience.

peter gagliardi
09-29-2017, 9:46 PM
We got a Kanafusa combination blade through Peter and liked it so much I bought 2 more from Quinn. We cut mainly solid wood on our slider and this is the perfect blade for this. I will echo they are good on the sharpening. We had a good local sharpener and when they sold the business it went downhill so it was good timing to find Quinn.

I would like to get a fine crosscut blade for solid wood. Peter, did you end up getting anything for this purpose?
Joe, I did. I will have to look, but I think it is the 3.2 mm x 350mm x 100 or 120 tooth blade. Cuts are glass smooth.

Martin Wasner
09-29-2017, 9:56 PM
I just ordered 4 more blades today. I have a lot of blades for a small shop but am always looking for something better. I think the Kanefusa will be very hard to beat based on my experience.

Have one in your OMGA chop box? Is it quiet? All three of mine SCREAM!

Andrew J. Coholic
09-29-2017, 10:10 PM
Have one in your OMGA chop box? Is it quiet? All three of mine SCREAM!

Not yet. Ive tried 3 or 4 blades and IIRC a Forrest is in there now. A bit fine for what we do, I should have a combination blade or an ATB with fewer teeth.

Darcy Warner
09-29-2017, 11:29 PM
I have switched to Everlast blades. Can't get my hands on Golden Eagle anymore.

Warren Lake
09-30-2017, 12:00 AM
since sharpening is a big deal the question will be if you buy them who is going to do it., I did call Akhurst bought a power feed from them a million years ago. Do sell them didnt ask prices but did ask about sharpening and the guy I talked to had no idea. guys that do that are all different, last stuff sent in first time to a reputable name some of the blades are sharpened way different than ever in the past they work well though. Never hear of Everlast blades maybe on the band of some underwear which might put some pressure on whoever is wearing them

Joe Calhoon
09-30-2017, 11:32 AM
Joe, I did. I will have to look, but I think it is the 3.2 mm x 350mm x 100 or 120 tooth blade. Cuts are glass smooth.
Thanks Peter,
I think I will order a couple of those for special projects.
The blade you sourced for me originally is called the Hi- Max and a bit of a mystery as I cannot find it on the US website. I just got 2 more of these from Quinn. They had to be ordered from Japan and took about 6 weeks. It might be considered a rip blade but is now our go to blade in the slider for solid wood. Rips and crosscuts are effortless and quiet. Most of our crosscuts for door and window parts on the slider usually get further machining on the tenoner or shaper or are not seen for panels and the like. But it is not a bad crosscut for that type blade. I even cut up a sheet of maple ply and it was not bad.

Andrew J. Coholic
09-30-2017, 1:26 PM
since sharpening is a big deal the question will be if you buy them who is going to do it., I did call Akhurst bought a power feed from them a million years ago. Do sell them didnt ask prices but did ask about sharpening and the guy I talked to had no idea. guys that do that are all different, last stuff sent in first time to a reputable name some of the blades are sharpened way different than ever in the past they work well though. Never hear of Everlast blades maybe on the band of some underwear which might put some pressure on whoever is wearing them

I've had excellent sharpening service with all
my blades, including the Kanefusa, with either BC Saw ( which is now Nap Gladu) or Royce Ayr who I usually use nowadays.

Nap Gladu can order wherever they don't stock. When I was speaking to the sales guy this week and mentioned this about Kanefusa, he said a lot of their customers are saying the same thing. They love them if you are not unwilling to wait a few weeks to source them out.

Darcy Warner
09-30-2017, 1:36 PM
Most people don't realize the amount of blade/cutting tool manufacturers that are out there. Everlast is basically an industrial blade only, only available through tooling and sharpening shops. Same with golden eagle, which I miss.
Everything I have sent out with an Everlast blade on it, I will get a call from my customer wanting to know where to get more of them.

peter gagliardi
09-30-2017, 4:10 PM
Everlast are good blades, made in Florida I believe, or used to be.
I have several, but they are not in the same class in my opinion as the Kanefusa.
Joe, yes, mine is a Hi max as well. My fine tooth unit is 120 tooth.

Darcy Warner
09-30-2017, 4:27 PM
I have seen new blades from somewhere that had ceramic teeth instead of carbide, also diamond as well.

Everlast was recently bought out and the new owners moved the plant to KS, from FL in effort to reduce shipping times.

David Zaret
09-30-2017, 9:04 PM
i talked to quinn, they suggested the 70-tooth 27-14.0X070TXBC-01, at $159. none in stock, so 3 month lead time, and have to buy in pairs. plus, they would have to bore the 30mm/2x10mm pinholes themselves. seems like a big lift for a saw blade.

i'm not convinced the extra cost and wait time is worth it.... kind of a big investment just to check and see how they perform relative to the Tenyrus.

peter, do you have any guidance as to which of the kanefusa blades you are using as a "combo" (or are you using a combo at all)?

thanks,

--- dz

peter gagliardi
09-30-2017, 9:26 PM
Dave, I have the same one Joe pictured, maybe you can make out the info on it?

David Zaret
09-30-2017, 10:00 PM
got it - thanks.

John Adank
12-06-2017, 6:52 AM
I’m considering purchasing the following Kanefusa saw blades below. If you’re interested in splitting the order with me on the exact blades below minus the scoring blade, contact me at Lseap107@gmail.com. Kanefusa requires that you order a minimum of two of the same blades per order. I would get one of the glue line rip blades and plywood blades and you wou.d get the other. The blades would be a 300mm blade and bored to 30mm with the two pin holes to fit a Felder saw. Just thought I would post this option as it’s quite expensive to purchase on my own and maybe we could help each other out. Thanks, john

ANEFUSA 27-11.8X036TXSF 300mm DIA x 3.4mm KERF x 30mm BORE 2/9/46.4 PHS SF TYPE GLUE LINE RIPSAW BLADE. $194.00 each

KANEFUSA 27-03.9X036T 100mm DIA x 3.2mm KERF x 20mm BORE x 36 TEETH BOARD PRO PANEL SCORING SAW BLADE. $125.00 each

KANEFUSA 27-11.8X096TXBC S-BP2 300mm DIA x 3.2mm KERF x 30mm BORE 2/9/46.4 PHS x 96 TEETH BC-TYPE BOARD PRO PANEL SIZING SAW BLADE. $254.00 each