PDA

View Full Version : New Sharpening Bench

ken hatch
09-28-2017, 9:45 AM
A bittersweet moment in the shop. Yesterday for the first time since I first started working wood my small bench is no longer in the shop. I'm not sure what will be done with it, could be a table for MsBubba's studio, or maybe convert it into another bar counter for the back garden, even put out front for a new life with someone else. Whatever it has been replaced with the traveling work bench sans leg vise.

The sharpening bench ne travel bench has a little more real estate to work with with about the same footprint, It should be a slight improvement....Just enough for a post but not much more :).

BTW, I've converted all my stones to using water with a touch of soap as a lubricant. With the exception of the "India" stones they all seem happy. This way I can grab any stone and use it without worrying about oil contamination of my JNATs or man made water stones.

I will start a new travel bench build soon.

ken

Daniel O'Connell
09-28-2017, 5:16 PM
I am just finishing up a sharpening bench myself, although its no where near as nicely done as yours.

Stew Denton
09-28-2017, 8:01 PM
Hi Ken,

Nice to see your travel bench has a new life!

Stew

ken hatch
09-28-2017, 10:25 PM
I am just finishing up a sharpening bench myself, although its no where near as nicely done as yours.

Daniel,

The important thing is you have an area for sharpening. If you do not then sharpening will be put off and tools allowed to pile up and sharpening becomes a chore instead of part of your work flow. Good on you for making a sharpening bench.

ken

ken hatch
09-28-2017, 10:29 PM
Hi Ken,

Nice to see your travel bench has a new life!

Stew

Stew,

Yep, it was too nice to just throw in the burn pile but not my best work. This is a good place for it. I will start a new travel bench build after my back is fixed in Oct.

ken

Daniel O'Connell
09-29-2017, 12:30 AM
Daniel,

The important thing is you have an area for sharpening. If you do not then sharpening will be put off and tools allowed to pile up and sharpening becomes a chore instead of part of your work flow. Good on you for making a sharpening bench.

ken

Yeah, I noticed that when I realized my stones were spread across several different surfaces and that I kept trying to use the same 3/4 chisel for everything.

Thanks for the encouragement!