PDA

View Full Version : newly refinished floors are crackling now

mike waters
09-27-2017, 8:38 PM
Hi,

Our floors made absolutely zero noise for 20 years. Literally, none. Trujoists and 3/4" ply, dehumidifier, etc. No noise. none.

We had our floors refinished and now they are crackling with some popping. Sort of sounds like crunching.
Like if you put sand on the floor, then a piece of wood and step on it, sound.

The guy who refinished them said, "give it thirty days and walk on it a bit"

It has been 60 days.

Any ideas on what caused this? Any ideas for fixing?

thank you all

Andrew J. Coholic
09-27-2017, 8:53 PM
Sure. When you finish or refinish floors that are already laid, the finish gets down in the tongue and groove and effectively acts like a glue. When you walk on it, the stress breaks the bonded pieces of flooring free and you hear a crack. Should go away in time, but you need to walk on it and possibly let it go through one season to cycle.

Prefinished flooring doesn't do this as the boards don't get stuck to one another.

mike waters
09-27-2017, 8:55 PM
Sure. When you finish or refinish floors that are already laid, the finish gets down in the tongue and groove and effectively acts like a glue. When you walk on it, the stress breaks the bonded pieces of flooring free and you hear a crack. Should go away in time, but you need to walk on it and possibly let it go through one season to cycle.

Prefinished flooring doesn't do this as the boards don't get stuck to one another.
Thank you
The floors were finished before and the finish was sanded off and then Rubio Monocoat was applied
Even with a monocoat finish this procedure happens (that you wrote above)?

Andrew J. Coholic
09-27-2017, 9:06 PM
Not familiar with that finish. But it would happen with any hardening finish.

mike waters
09-27-2017, 9:13 PM
Not familiar with that finish. But it would happen with any hardening finish.

well, at least I have hope now :) thank you!

Now... let's say 18 months goes by and it is still happening.. then what? (Trying to prepare worse case scenario)

David T gray
09-27-2017, 9:22 PM
well, at least I have hope now :) thank you!

Now... let's say 18 months goes by and it is still happening.. then what? (Trying to prepare worse case scenario)

burn the house down its a lost cause :)

mike waters
09-27-2017, 9:26 PM
burn the house down its a lost cause :)

ahaahaha

thanks for the laugh haha.

Marc Jeske
09-27-2017, 11:13 PM
Neighborhood Dance Party. Marc

roger wiegand
09-28-2017, 8:45 AM
earplugs?

Ours did that after I put them down, they don't now. I didn't notice when it stopped-- it was four years ago that I laid and finished the floors. Now we just have the squeaks and moans typical to an older house.