PDA

View Full Version : Help Identifying Cutter set for Tongue and Groove

Jared Howkins
09-27-2017, 1:13 AM
I was taking a closer look at the joinery on a shaker cabinet door made by Huntwood. I noticed that they used an uncommon profile and I'm having trouble finding a tongue and groove set that matches it. Does anyone know who makes this cutter profile?

(I've already figured out how to get the same result with multiple bits, but it's tedious and most likely not how this was made.)

The stock is 3/4in. The groove is 1/4in. The big difference from commonly found bits is that the groove is rounded and all the corners have been eased. See attached photo.

Wayne Lomman
09-27-2017, 7:28 AM
Get a set made if you can't find it. It's not a common profile that I am aware of. Cheers

Rod Sheridan
09-27-2017, 8:01 AM
It wouldn't cost much to have a set of knives ground to those profiles.............Rod.

Jared Howkins
09-27-2017, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the quick reply Rod. Judging by your response, you have some experience in this area. Do you have any suggestions for where I could get a set of knives made? I'm in Calgary, AB but I suppose I could order them from anywhere.

Lee Schierer
09-27-2017, 10:52 AM
Have you tried contacting Huntwood to see if they can identify the source of the cutters?

J.R. Rutter
09-27-2017, 1:00 PM
Huntwood had them made to their spec. by whoever supplies their tooling. The rounded corners are production friendly, and that's about the only good thing to say about them. IME, big companies like this maintain unique profiles so that new doors/cabinets need to be sourced from them.

When I am asked to match a profile, I quote $500 and have a set of knives and backers made for my Great Lakes universal heads. They will work off a drawing or wood sample and it takes 10 days or so to get the new knives. I'm sure that there are cheaper options, that's just the drop-in solution for my system with common minor diameters.

I've gotten corrugated steel cope-stick pattern knives made by CGG Schmidt for one of their shaper heads and they do good work.

roger wiegand
09-27-2017, 1:08 PM
If you have something like an Amana insert head you can buy blank cutters for about $15 a set and grind your own.

Rod Sheridan
09-27-2017, 1:18 PM
I would try Allblades in Calgary.........

http://www.allblades.ca/

Regards, Rod.

Warren Lake
09-27-2017, 11:11 PM
if the stock is 3/4 then the tongue is not 1/4 you can see that even from the photo. Its a short tongue as well best ive seen in production door companies is 9/16 long and usually not centered because of the profile. I think it looks crappy. The old guy told me they designed their own hardware and had it patented so other companies could not copy some of their pieces talking yesterday he said he ordered half a million square feet of teak veneer at one point and there would be spies at furniture shows. At that level people are looking to protect themselves I think that was before China got heavy into it as well.