PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to trim down already attach stiles? W/o removing?

mike waters
09-26-2017, 6:55 PM
Is there a way to trim down already attach stiles?
Our face frame stiles are huge and I would like to trim them down so we have more options for hinges.
I was thinking of using a router, but I would be concerned about digging into the top rail.
I cannot remove them because the granite ontop is attached to the top rail and the stile/rail joint is tenon/mortise in.

thank you

Michael Pyron
09-26-2017, 7:01 PM
router with a pattern bit using a straight piece of 1/2" as a guide...either tack it on with brads or figure if you can clamp it if possible...just be very careful when you come close to the rails...had to do this more than a few times in the last few years...you will need to deal with the fact that, IMHO, if you are removing more than 1/8" of material (width not thickness) with a flush cut bit you are stupid...

Jerry Miner
09-26-2017, 7:09 PM
Router with a guide, stopping short of the rails, then chisel the corners

mike waters
09-26-2017, 9:13 PM
router with a pattern bit using a straight piece of 1/2" as a guide...either tack it on with brads or figure if you can clamp it if possible...just be very careful when you come close to the rails...had to do this more than a few times in the last few years...you will need to deal with the fact that, IMHO, if you are removing more than 1/8" of material (width not thickness) with a flush cut bit you are stupid...

good idea with the guide

John TenEyck
09-27-2017, 6:44 PM
Route the stiles between the rails and leave the last inch near the rails using a template. Or just route where the hinges need to go. I've done both.

John