PDA

View Full Version : Non-woven abrasives

Richard Dooling
09-26-2017, 11:19 AM
Is there much of a difference in brands of non-woven abrasives like the Scotch-Brite pads and sheets?

I had some unknown brand of the maroon color that left a light smudges on maple. Should I not use this material on unfinished wood?

Thanks

Bill Adamsen
09-26-2017, 12:46 PM
Not sure how the competitive products compare to Scotch-Brite, but Scotch-Brite itself has a remarkable range of products most of which are abrasive and at least one of which (the non-commercial (https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/All-3M-Products/Consumer/Cleaning-and-Protecting/Sponges-Brushes-Scouring-Pads/?N=5002385+8709316+8710905+8711017+8740612+3294857 497&rt=r3)) is not. I've never seen a comprehensive "compare" matrix ... but 3-m does have a sample pack in the commercial line that contains one each of their seven pads. (https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/Scotch-Brite-Hand-Pad-Trial-Pack-961S?N=5002385+8709320+3293083764&rt=rud)

7447 PRO – (gray) Very fine grade aluminum oxide abrasive cleans, finishes, grains, denibs, and defuzzes
7448 – (maroon) Very fine silicon carbide
7445 – (white) Very fine Nepheline Syenite
7440 – (tan) medium Aluminum Oxide
8447 – (maroon) very fine Aluminum xide
7446 – (gray) medium Silicon Carbide
6448 – (dark gray) ultra fine Silicon Carbide

Wayne Lomman
09-27-2017, 7:43 AM
I don't recommend these for raw timber. They don't cut so much as burnish in my opinion. They are useful sometimes for sanding between coats when polishing complex profiles such as turnery and carving but that is about all. Silicon carbide paper is best. You keep it until it is floppy and soft. Cheers

Bill Adamsen
09-27-2017, 1:52 PM
Good point Wayne ... I didn't read that far. I use on paint or varnish but rarely - more likely I'd use an abrasive system and H&L or stickit on either of those surfaces. The place I use pads the most is plastic (boats) and metal. And it is really more for cleaning prep and in the shop especially tool surface maintenance.

Richard Dooling
09-28-2017, 10:39 AM
Thanks very much for your replies!

Bill thanks for the links and the grade comparison.

I have been using the gray, maroon, and white on raw wood on the lathe at low speed. I like that the pads conform to curves. They definitely remove wood but the idea that they may be burnishing may explain some odd finishing defects I've noticed. Also, I may have run some of these at higher speed than I should have.

Wayne - not sure why they would burnish more than cut since they have embedded grit? I need to look at other flexible media. Maybe I'll try the cloth backed abrasives.

I'll post this question in the turners forum also.

Again, thanks

Wayne Lomman
09-30-2017, 6:20 AM
Richard, they burnish as soon as the plastic fibre is in contact with the job. The abrasive grains don't last too long. I know plenty of guys who swear by them but they are not the best way for me. Cheers

Richard Dooling
10-02-2017, 2:07 PM
Richard, they burnish as soon as the plastic fibre is in contact with the job. The abrasive grains don't last too long. I know plenty of guys who swear by them but they are not the best way for me. Cheers

Well I can see where pressing a bunch of plastic fibers against a spinning bowl would burnish the wood! I didn't realize the abrasive particles were lost so fast.

Thanks