PDA

View Full Version : Lacquer question

Dick Holt
09-25-2017, 5:59 PM
Is it okay to spray solvent base lacquer over acrylic latex paint? If not, what could I use to help protect the paint finish?
Thanks for your help.
Dick

Dennis Peacock
09-25-2017, 7:56 PM
I would use a clear acrylic paint. I use it from time to time on a guitar headstock to protect the logo on the neck.

John TenEyck
09-25-2017, 8:36 PM
WB acrylic clear coats would be my choice.

John

Jim Becker
09-25-2017, 9:00 PM
The solvent in solvent-based lacquer may very well damage the underlying paint. (and unless you're setup with proper non-explosive ventilation, etc., you don't want to be spraying solvent-based lacquer, either) A water borne product is a better choice for your application, but keep in mind that many "acrylic latex paints" are quite soft and putting a harder finish over them isn't necessarily protective. The harder finish can "crunch" and become unsightly. It's better to use a 100% acrylic paint product or a tint friendly waterborne finish for your color that's compatible with a protective clear finish on top. They also don't tend to be "blocking"...that "sticky" thing that happens when you put things on top of the paint, such as on a shelf. For example, for a white "out of the can" finish, Target Coatings EM6500 sprays beautifully and is 100% compatible with their EM6000 as well as most other EM-xxxx finishes they sell. General Finishes has some similar "family" benefits in the same way.

Wayne Lomman
09-26-2017, 4:39 AM
No, don't put lacquer over acrylic latex. Use a paint of the required durability and forget the clear coat. Cheers

Dick Holt
09-28-2017, 12:13 PM
Thank you very much for all the help.

Dick