PDA

View Full Version : Score !? SCAM !!

Kev Williams
09-24-2017, 4:47 PM
For kicks I got on Ebay last night and typed in "used laser engravers" - I was checking in regards to the ongoing thread about getting a $500 machine, I was wondering if anyone was selling any sort of decent USED glass laser cheap.

First thing that popped up was an Epilog for $1000, seemed to have a few nefarious details, such as: bought from the original person who bought it new 1 year ago, then later states is a 1998 machine...

Skipping down a bit I came to an ad for a "Universal C-200 New Hermes Optima Laser Engraver". Price? One bid at $19-something. The one pic is of a very clean actual ULS-Optima, a virtual twin to my old 1997 Optima, the one I bought in 2002 that my BIL still runs several hours every night engraving wood boxes. So I had to check further. Seller has been round 17 years, has a recent 100% feedback, I check the feedback, all okay-- full ebay protections in place, check description, "... fully operational and functions as intended."

Price? Buy it now, $1000, free shipping.

Just to see, I went thru the motions. Got an official (looking) ebay email spelling out all the particulars, very detailed.

Now I'll explain how I figured out this was a scam. I'm sure many or most of you know some or all of this, but I did learn a few things...

To good to be true was the first giveaway :)

Next was the Moneygram request...

In the email was a "live chat" link. Hovering over (NOT clicking on) the link brought up the usual gobbledygook web address, and the only ref to Ebay within the address was:
e-b-a-y ... wrong...

Next I went into the source code of the email, and thank goodness for authentication protocols, here's a snippet-

Finally, I went to Ebay and- no where no how does or has this 'auction' ever existed on Ebay... the transaction number is bogus, it's not in my 'buying' items, not in my 'recently viewed' items... THIS is what I didn't think to check last night, to check my recent and buying items. However, the auction WAS there, and they may have actually showed up in my recently viewed at the time- not sure.. Pretty good trick just sneaking the ad in like that. So why don't thieves put that knowledge to some ethical use?? :mad:

What I didn't do was give out any sensitive personal info, just my name and address, which is all over the internet anyway. I did call my bank, they said I'm fine.

What a world.

Steve Morris
09-24-2017, 6:13 PM
Its not unusual for accounts to get hijacked and fake sales put on, saw several last year when buying a motorhome, contacted proper ebay account owner on ome of them and they knew nothing about it.
One of the reasons ebay have got really touchy about off-site sales.

Brian Lamb
09-24-2017, 7:26 PM
Is that the one that was in Tucson AZ? I saw that a week or two ago and figured it was a scammed account.

Robert Willing
09-24-2017, 8:21 PM
I had the same problem with Craigslist just before Christmas. I notified the State Police in MI. End of problem. They even sent me 3000.00 to send on to transportation associate some other state. Their check was from a company in CA with a no longer exist in CA.

Bill Stearns
09-25-2017, 12:49 PM
Kev -
Think it’s terrific of you to remind us all to be leery whenever dealing on-line. World’s full of crooked people out there, for sure. - ‘n seems they’re gettin’ more technically savvy all the time.
Good that you’ve shared “red flags” to look for. - knowledge would seem our best line of defense!

Side-Bar: My dad is 99 years old, resides in an assisted living villa in Florida; has his own room, his own computer. I’m forever reminding him not to reply to unsolicited e-mails; never to open unsure attachments! But, fact is, he came from a different ‘n more trusting era - even turned his computer’s hard-drive (remotely) over to a solicitor, ‘while back! Sent us scrambling to ensure that his banking hadn’t been effected! - fortunately, it hadn’t! A “pox” on all those, out there, who try to scam us! - BILL

Bill George
09-30-2017, 3:34 PM
Kev -
Think it’s terrific of you to remind us all to be leery whenever dealing on-line. World’s full of crooked people out there, for sure. - ‘n seems they’re gettin’ more technically savvy all the time.
Good that you’ve shared “red flags” to look for. - knowledge would seem our best line of defense!

Side-Bar: My dad is 99 years old, resides in an assisted living villa in Florida; has his own room, his own computer. I’m forever reminding him not to reply to unsolicited e-mails; never to open unsure attachments! But, fact is, he came from a different ‘n more trusting era - even turned his computer’s hard-drive (remotely) over to a solicitor, ‘while back! Sent us scrambling to ensure that his banking hadn’t been effected! - fortunately, it hadn’t! A “pox” on all those, out there, who try to scam us! - BILL

Buy him Norton's and make him use the "Safe Search" it will help keep him safe.