Jacob John
09-23-2017, 12:50 PM
Interesting.

https://makezine.com/2017/09/23/dremel-announces-40-watt-laser-cutter/

40 Watt Laser
12″x20″ Bed Size

Rich Harman
09-23-2017, 5:55 PM
I wonder if that is a rebranded laser or Dremel's own design? Dremel also came out with a 3d printer, which turned out to be a rebranded, watered down Flashforge Dreamer.

Bert Kemp
09-23-2017, 7:46 PM
Yes yes you can preorder soon hurry send in your money and they will deliver one sometime:eek:
looka a lot like a muse or GF sorta

Cam Mayor
09-24-2017, 9:46 AM
This may be the home laser many have been waiting for. By totally enclosing it they have made it more user friendly and they put enough safety systems in place that it should last a few years. Dremel has the experience to push this through and a name at risk if they don't deliver. I would expect it to retail around $5000.

Kev Williams
09-24-2017, 11:41 AM
Hate to break it to y'all...368455368456

Rich Harman
09-24-2017, 2:44 PM
Hate to break it to y'all...368455368456

Yup, just what I suspected.

Rich Harman
09-24-2017, 2:45 PM
This may be the home laser many have been waiting for. By totally enclosing it they have made it more user friendly and they put enough safety systems in place that it should last a few years....

Is that sarcasm? I honestly can't tell.

Michael Henriksen
09-24-2017, 3:50 PM
Dremel - manufacturers of overpriced crap tools.

Matt McCoy
09-24-2017, 5:26 PM

Small rotary tools are quite handy, in my opinion, and fill a niche.

John Lifer
09-24-2017, 6:59 PM
I would really hesitate to buy something from a company that doesn't even use lasers in their current manufacturing process. (well maybe something is laser marked) It does look like a clone doesn't it?

John Lifer
09-24-2017, 8:20 PM
Supposedly uls parts......

Bert Kemp
09-25-2017, 12:35 AM
Seriously ?? I've had a dremel for like ever and use it a lot, great tool to have.:)

Rich Harman
09-25-2017, 1:11 AM
Seriously ?? I've had a dremel for like ever and use it a lot, great tool to have.:)

Some of the more recent rotary tools have left a great deal to be desired. I have one that is at least two decades old, maybe three and still works great. Then I've seen a couple of the newer rechargeables (broken) that looked like something you would get from Harbor Freight. I have a lithium one that is a few years old and it still works well.

But rebranding something is a cheesy move IMO.

Rich Harman
09-25-2017, 1:28 AM
Supposedly uls parts......

It sure looks like it is a rebranded Muse, which is made by Full Spectrum Laser (FSL), which does not have the best of reputations.

Michael Henriksen
09-25-2017, 6:39 AM
I don't know about their older stuf but a lot of the current stuff it not great quality. I have on of the rechargable rotary tools and it's cheap plastic tat but with a Dremel pricetag.

Bert Kemp
09-25-2017, 6:10 PM
Mine probably 25 years old and still works great, now I said that it will probably die next time I use It :rolleyes::eek:

Steve Morris
09-26-2017, 5:31 AM
Nothing worng with rebranding the Muse, probably means there will be support outside the USA via Dremel.

Mike Null
09-26-2017, 7:27 AM
First, there is absolutely nothing wrong with rebranding, commonly called private labeling. It's an old and common practice and usually done quite responsibly. In the low volume world of laser manufacturing it may be the only way to enter the business and make use of a brand name or marketing expertise.

Second, I have never found Dremel tools to be "crap". They are what I would call hobbyist tools. Mine have always functioned as designed and I use my old corded unit quite often. They have been a reliable and economical version of some quite expensive tools sometimes selling at 10 times the price.

Kev Williams
09-26-2017, 12:04 PM
Dremel is to me like Black and Decker- they make good stuff and some not so good stuff. I have a Dremel multi-tool kit that's the bomb, works great- I also have a tiny dremel rotary tool that will barely sand fingernails. I have some OLD B&D tools that won't die, I have a battery powered kit that works great- I also had a B&D undercounter coffee maker that would've burned our boat down if we'd left the boat for 2 minutes to walk the dog, and then there's that handheld battery powered cheese grater with no useful purpose other than as a gag gift...

Rebranding? one word: Kenmore :)

Dishwashers: Whirlpool, Bosch, Samsung
Cooking: Frigidaire, LG
Washers Dryers: Whirlpool, LG
Refrigerators: Electrolux, Frigidaire, Whirlpool, LG
Vacuums: Panasonic, TTI, Eureka, PhoneMate, Cleva
Room AC: Frigidaire, LG

I don't think Kenmore ever manufactured anything... Which back on topic, I have to ask: Does Full Spectrum actually mfr the Muse?

Jerome Stanek
09-27-2017, 5:17 PM
Dremel is to me like Black and Decker- they make good stuff and some not so good stuff. I have a Dremel multi-tool kit that's the bomb, works great- I also have a tiny dremel rotary tool that will barely sand fingernails. I have some OLD B&D tools that won't die, I have a battery powered kit that works great- I also had a B&D undercounter coffee maker that would've burned our boat down if we'd left the boat for 2 minutes to walk the dog, and then there's that handheld battery powered cheese grater with no useful purpose other than as a gag gift...

Rebranding? one word: Kenmore :)

Dishwashers: Whirlpool, Bosch, Samsung
Cooking: Frigidaire, LG
Washers Dryers: Whirlpool, LG
Refrigerators: Electrolux, Frigidaire, Whirlpool, LG
Vacuums: Panasonic, TTI, Eureka, PhoneMate, Cleva
Room AC: Frigidaire, LG

I don't think Kenmore ever manufactured anything... Which back on topic, I have to ask: Does Full Spectrum actually mfr the Muse?

Kenmore actually owned Whirlpool back in the 70's I don't know if they ever sold it.

Bert Kemp
09-27-2017, 8:45 PM
the muse is assembled here thats all

Jacob John
09-27-2017, 11:59 PM
I don't mind rebranding, as long as the support is worth the added cost of the machine.

Mike Null
09-28-2017, 7:27 AM
Having retired from the appliance industry I have a fairly good knowledge of private labeling for both Sears and Montgomery Ward. I called on both and marketed private label products in all appliance categories. (we sold Sears over a billion dollars worth of appliances annually)

For what it's worth, we also sold to and bought from, most of the other appliance manufacturers private label products.

Sears never owned Whirlpool. But they were and maybe, still are, their dominant customer.

Bert McMahan
09-28-2017, 11:17 AM
From their facebook page:

"We are proud to be a partner of Dremel. They are working in conjunction with Full Spectrum Laser to create a truly perfect pairing of Dremel's 85 years of making user friendly tools and FSL's 10 years of laser engineering!

we're actually not licensing this to Dremel, Dremel has teamed with us to create a truly remarkable machine. This has a few major differences to Muse, including cooling, user interface, and software... They are also UL compliant! For more info be sure to check out their website dremel.com

That box essentially takes the place of the chiller and air compressor. We will be offering a similar product very soon."

Take that for what you will, sounds like there will be SOME differences. Probably just skins in the software and maybe some pre-installed shapes or something. I doubt they'd rewrite the motion control software in any way. Who knows, maybe they'll try to compete with the Glowforge by adding the amazing "ultra slow engraving" mode ;)

Scott Shepherd
09-28-2017, 12:37 PM
Who knows, maybe they'll try to compete with the Glowforge by adding the amazing "ultra slow engraving" mode ;)

That made me chuckle. I was reading some posts on their forum and someone was engraving a 9" tall by 18" long piece and it took 3 hours :)

Bert Kemp
09-28-2017, 12:43 PM
If it has anything to do with FSL its a good Idea to stay away.

Kev Williams
09-28-2017, 12:46 PM
What made ME chuckle was "...and they're also UL compliant!"

well THAT'S a relief !!