PDA

View Full Version : Turning tool storage

Joe Melton
10-31-2005, 3:30 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a thread on this subject; a picture Dick Pharr posted of his lathe spurred this. I just started turning on a large lathe, and don't yet have a place to put the lathe tools within reach. Do people want to share their methods?
Joe

Jeremiah Jordan
10-31-2005, 4:27 PM
This might not be the best method, but I have a small Delta Midi-Lathe and I just keep my tools right underneath it. How about building a shelf right underneath your lathe mounting into the legs? Then maybe some magnetic strips to help keep the tools where they belong. Just a few ideas.

Jeremiah

Chris Barton
10-31-2005, 4:33 PM
Here is a picture of my storage cart that has wheels and can be easily moved. The cart is made of melamine coated particle board with a peg board back and some storage shelves.

Dennis Daudelin
10-31-2005, 4:34 PM
I just moved into a new home this summer. I've been getting my shop back togehter and built this tool storage last week. I mounted it to the wall right behind my lathe. It does get chips on it but since I have an air hose just to the right of it, it's not a big deal to blow it off. I plan to put a plexiglass cover over the part of the shelf that holds my torn sheets of sandpaper supply. Also, the clothes pins are used to hold half used sandpaper. Each one is labeled with it's grit, just like the storage shelf above. The butter containers have screws for faceplates (#12 and #14 of various lengths).

Dennis

http://www.daudelin.net/assets/tool_holder.jpg

Doug Jones
10-31-2005, 6:18 PM
Not nearly as impressive as Dennis's but this is what I use.

Mark Cothren
10-31-2005, 6:58 PM
Heck, I thought that was what the cage/guard is for on my lathe...:eek: :D :cool:

Bill Stevener
10-31-2005, 7:25 PM
Hi Joe,
Great thread to start. Should bring forth some interesting ideas.

Dennis, Welcome to the best, and nicest bunch of turning folks on the net. Your tool, display rack looks great, the folks hear love photos, don't be afraid to post what you create with all of those tools.;)

This is what I put together some time ago. I can place it on my right or left side. Holds all the tools I will use for the project at hand. Tools not in use remain in the draws. No sense in cleaning what I am not using at the time. This tool caddy also goes well with my treadle lathe at demonstrations, and display exhibits.

Hope this helps some, it's real handy.

Work safe and have fun, Bill.>>>>>>>>>>:)

Rob Bourgeois
10-31-2005, 7:54 PM
I use those foam lined fishing pole holders. The previous home owner left them and I didnt have enough fishing poles to fill all of of them...so I remounted them on the by the tail end of the lathe. Works good.

Steve Clardy
10-31-2005, 8:04 PM
I just moved into a new home this summer. I've been getting my shop back togehter and built this tool storage last week. I mounted it to the wall right behind my lathe. It does get chips on it but since I have an air hose just to the right of it, it's not a big deal to blow it off. I plan to put a plexiglass cover over the part of the shelf that holds my torn sheets of sandpaper supply. Also, the clothes pins are used to hold half used sandpaper. Each one is labeled with it's grit, just like the storage shelf above. The butter containers have screws for faceplates (#12 and #14 of various lengths).

Dennis

http://www.daudelin.net/assets/tool_holder.jpg

Very nice and organized Dennis!! Looks lie you got it all in order.

I've been wanting to do about the same for my small lathe, but have it traded for a 8' Vega, so guess I will wait till I get the Vega in place.

Jim Becker
10-31-2005, 10:06 PM
I have a rack on the wall for "cold storage" behind the lathe, but generally use my Festool MFT, which is close to the Stubby, to hold the three Ellsworth gouges I generally am using at any one point in time while turning. I don't think there is any one "perfect" method/place to keep turning tools, especially while you are using them. But I do have one rule...they are never where you have to reach over the lathe to get them, whether it's "on" or "off"...

Andy Hoyt
10-31-2005, 11:02 PM
Very nice indeed! Puts my arrangement to shame.

John Hart
11-01-2005, 12:09 AM
I tend to use the "pile" method. It's quite disorganized and only for those with a certain taste in fine piles. I shant be showing any pictures....I hope you understand.:D

Doug Jones
11-01-2005, 1:11 AM
Heck, I thought that was what the cage/guard is for on my lathe...:eek: :D :cool:
Careful Mark, that could be considered border line bragging.:) ;) ;) :)

keith zimmerman
11-04-2005, 4:12 PM
Here's a link to the quick, simple rack I built for my tools. It sits on a grinder stand just to the right of my lathe.

It is at http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=20563

keith

Steve Clardy
11-04-2005, 4:17 PM
I tend to use the "pile" method. It's quite disorganized and only for those with a certain taste in fine piles. I shant be showing any pictures....I hope you understand.:D

Lol. Sounds like some of my piles.
I need to put signs on my piles. Do not disturb. As if you move it, I can't find it. :eek: :D

I think I could take a month off from shop work, and just work on the shop, and not get everything done I need to, or want to.:rolleyes:

Michael Stafford
11-04-2005, 4:43 PM
I was going to include a picture of the bucket I use to store my turning tools in but I decided that ya'll wouldn't be impressed so I will just have to build something fancy-shmancy to store my tools in and go back to sitting on the bucket.....:p ;)

I happen to like people who have organized shops....it reinforces my feelings of inadequacy.....:o

Carole Valentine
11-04-2005, 6:01 PM

Thanks, John! I needed that after seeing all these meticulous tool storage deals obviously created by anal-retentive turners.:D Bet my pile is bigger than yours!:p

Chip Sutherland
11-04-2005, 9:14 PM
I subscribe to the pile method, too. But I really hate myself when, in my haste, I reach for the right tool only to dislodge another which inevitably will end up on the floor. Murphy's law guarantee's:
1) the handle won't hit the concrete first, sparing my tool edge
2) the tool will always miss my floor mat.

DOH! I guess that's why I have a grinder and some spare time. :rolleyes:

Dick Parr
11-04-2005, 11:35 PM
Here is my set-up for the DVR. The drawer holds my calipers and live center attachments along with allen wrench's, set screws, diamond stones and anything else I can jam in their.:eek:

One suggestion, on the back wall you can see a magnetic bar/tool holder to the right of the wooden tool holder. I am no longer using this to hold any turning tools, only my depth drill and a couple small things.

After using this magnetic bar for over 6 months, it has magnetized the tools that were hanging on it and in turn the tools do not slide over the tool rest with ease like they did before they got magnetized.:o They like to stick or jump while moving them from side to side.:mad:

I need to find me a de-magnitizer now:D ;)

Ed Lang
11-05-2005, 5:39 AM
Nothing fancy here just this.

http://kc4ylx.smugmug.com/photos/33998807-M.jpg

Jim Young
11-07-2005, 12:18 PM
After several years of looking for where I put that other gouge, I finally decided to build a permanent place.

http://marsh-monster.com/forum/wiki/uploads/SimolisPage/jy_lathetoolholder3.jpg

Here are some more pics.
http://marsh-monster.com/forum/wiki/pmwiki.php/Shop/Lathe