PDA

View Full Version : Can't get separation between wet and dry bulbs...

Nate Maslowski
09-20-2017, 4:30 PM
We have a nyle L53, without the auto vents and spray.
I'm drying about 500bf of black walnut. It's been running for about 19 days, and making good progress, but the wet and dry bulbs remain 2-3 degrees apart.
I have the controls set to 140 dry and 105 wet, but currently they're at 143 dry and 141.4 wet.
I have five probes at different points in the stack. They're reading from 6.9 to 14.6. From my limited understanding, the wet should be dropping by the compressor running, especially considering the boards are getting pretty dry.

Any thoughts/ideas on why I can't get separation?

Thanks!!

Danny Hamsley
09-21-2017, 8:18 AM
Yes Sir. I know what has happened. Your compressor has tripped. It has a high temp trip switch that will shut down the compressor if you exceed 135 degrees. That is not in the manual. Here is what to do. Take off the side panel on the compressor side and you will see all the wiring and the compressor. There is a little red button that you will see on of the lines. Push that red button. It will re-set the compressor.

The reason that the two temps are so close is that there is no drying taking place because the compressor is not running because it has tripped from too high temp and the high humidity in the kiln is making the wet bulb read almost as high as the dry bulb.

Once you re-set the compressor and the dry bulb temp in the kiln falls below 125 degrees, set the dry bulb at 125 degrees and the wet bulb at 75 degrees and re-start the unit. Once you turn the compressor button on, hang out at the controller for 5 minutes. There is a 5 minute delay in the time between when you turn on the compressor and when the compressor actually comes on. That is not in the manual either. You will hear a sharp "click" when the compressor comes on and then you will know that your compressor is running and you should start getting water pretty soon after that. After you turn the compressor button on, it takes 4 - 5 minutes for the compressor to actually come on.

So, I never run my L53 over 125 degrees on the dry bulb unless the compressor is off and I and running the dry bulb temp to 150 degrees for 24 hours to sterilize the wood. Anytime you exceed 130 to 135 degrees on the dry bulb temp, never have the compressor on and running or you will trip it. When I hit 125 degrees, I open the intake and outtake vents to keep the temp below 125 degrees because I do not want to go over 130 degrees and trip the compressor.