PDA

View Full Version : Beaded face frame notching jig.

Jared Sankovich
09-19-2017, 5:17 PM
I threw this together aboutique 6 months ago out of some scraps I had laying around. It's loosely based off a YouTube video I found. It uses the kreg bits, and the face frame width is sized to the width of a single cut. It takes about 10 to 15 seconds to insert the peice, tap the wedges to secure it and make the cut. Once the stop had been set.

George Bokros
09-19-2017, 6:45 PM
Very nice. I see the notching for the mid rails but do not see any notching for the top or bottom rails. How did you miter the beads on the top and bottom rails and stiles to get them to meet? Seems like cutting the miter of those beads with the miter saw is a little tedious.

I would like to see more of the details on the build of the jig also.

Can you provide a link to the YouTube video?

Jared Sankovich
09-19-2017, 7:51 PM
Very nice. I see the notching for the mid rails but do not see any notching for the top or bottom rails. How did you miter the beads on the top and bottom rails and stiles to get them to meet? Seems like cutting the miter of those beads with the miter saw is a little tedious.

I would like to see more of the details on the build of the jig also.

Can you provide a link to the YouTube video?

The top and bottom rails are done in the same fashion with only a change in the stop location. If it's a taller top rail, say 3" for crown instalation I just make the first cut @ 3" and make 1 or two more cuts to take the remaining waste away.

metering the ends/beads are done the same, just with a stop set to just clipped the corners off.

Notching for a 3" top rail, notice the stile is pulled back from the initally cut.

Stop location for end miters:

Here Is the video it's based off of, it shows the methods for making the notching and miter cuts with different spacers. Apparently I should have watched it again before I made my version as his repeatable stops are better that the clamp I've been using.

https://youtu.be/reXh_d9YE5s

George Bokros
09-19-2017, 10:16 PM
WOW!! Thanks Jared that is awesome.

Lee Schierer
09-19-2017, 10:23 PM
Neat looking jig. Can you provide more detail on the construction of the jig? What bit is being used?

Jared Sankovich
09-19-2017, 11:28 PM
Neat looking jig. Can you provide more detail on the construction of the jig? What bit is being used?

Sure, the bits are from kreg, for their notching system.

Construction is rather simple, I might have 30 minutes in it. Its basically a box with top that overhangs the front and a gap slightly larger that the largest bit. Then two stops on either side that capture the router plate from moving side to side.

The clamp is just a diagonally cut section of construction lumber.

It's all just screwed together.

Jim Becker
09-20-2017, 10:39 AM
Very nice! I was just thinking about something like this the other day when I spied the Kreg version in the Lee Valley catalog...it got the brain cells working since I really love the beaded look and historically have been putting it on the doors, rather than the frames.

Jared Sankovich
09-20-2017, 4:43 PM
It's quick to throw together, and straightforward to use.

The only thing I'd like to change is to add a couple of pneumatic clamps to speed things up.

Jim Becker
09-20-2017, 7:47 PM
It's quick to throw together, and straightforward to use.

The only thing I'd like to change is to add a couple of pneumatic clamps to speed things up.
Yea, I could see that as being a real boon for anyone who is doing a lot of this work. That's where pneumatic clamping really excels and it's like having extra hands when you use a foot switch, etc.