PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy foot pedal control ?

Tom Jones III
10-31-2005, 11:27 AM
I would like to buy LOML a foot pedal to control her scroll saw. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find one. Does anyone have a good source?

A second question, she has speed control on a dial on the front of the scroll saw, would it be better to give her a foot pedal for speed control, or just on/off with the foot pedal?

FWIW, it is a Dremel scroll saw. I assume it has a little universal motor. http://www.dremel.com/productdisplay/tool_template2.asp?SKU=1800&Color=99CCFF

Tim Sproul
10-31-2005, 11:59 AM
Lee Valley sells 2 types. One is a momentary and the other a typical on/off switch. The momentary is 'on' while you press and immediately turns 'off' when you release the switch. The on/off turns on with one press. You have to release your foot and press again to turn off. They're not too pricey and the one I got works well. Woodcraft also carries one or both of those switches if you have one local and want it today.

Martin Shupe
10-31-2005, 12:08 PM
I have the On/Off version from Rockler. When I bought it, I didn't realize there were two types. I don't like it.

At Kelly Mehler's School, he has the routers hooked up to a "on when you press and hold it" foot control. I like this much better. If LV has them, I need to get one to replace the one I don't like.

Dan Stuewe
10-31-2005, 12:22 PM
My wife bought me one from Sears a few years ago. I started using it with my scroll saw, but now it is used for the drill press.

I could be wrong, but I doubt there is something for speed control using a foot pedal.

Lee DeRaud
10-31-2005, 12:37 PM
I could be wrong, but I doubt there is something for speed control using a foot pedal.Don't know how much current they can handle, but just about every sewing machine on the planet has a foot-pedal speed control.

james matthews
10-31-2005, 12:54 PM
you can also get them at Eagle America they are $29.95

Dan Stuewe
10-31-2005, 2:22 PM
Don't know how much current they can handle, but just about every sewing machine on the planet has a foot-pedal speed control.

:o :o :o

Can I blame Monday Morning?

Lee DeRaud
10-31-2005, 3:08 PM
:o :o :o

Can I blame Monday Morning?No problem, just trying to get people to think outside the box.:D

It seems to be something I run into a lot, though: people see a widget designed for a particular function and permanently associate it only with that function. And the people selling the stuff aren't much better: wish I had a dollar for every time a vendor said something like, "You're going to use that to do what?!?":cool: (Or conversely, the number of times I've said, "Hey, cool! I could probably use that stuff to (insert off-the-wall idea here)! Uh, what is it really?")

Allen Bookout
10-31-2005, 7:52 PM
MLCS also has both types of foot switch.

www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/footswtc.html (http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/footswtc.html)

Bob Yedinak
11-02-2005, 2:37 PM
I have two pedals from old sewing machines, use one on my scroll saw and the other on the drill press-they work very well (picked them up a a garage sale for one buck!!!

Charlie Plesums
11-02-2005, 4:11 PM
I have two pedals from old sewing machines, use one on my scroll saw and the other on the drill press-they work very well (picked them up a a garage sale for one buck!!!
Do they provide speed control as well as stop/start? My wife's current sewing machine has a pedal that has a very light cord and plug - obviously is only a control voltage, not the motor power.

Incidentally, Grainger has a foot switch with cord for about $20. Search for Grainger part number 2A191 at www.grainger.com (http://www.grainger.com) or stop by your local outlet (usually in the part of town where all the repairmen get their parts).

Bob Yedinak
11-04-2005, 1:52 PM
Do they provide speed control as well as stop/start? My wife's current sewing machine has a pedal that has a very light cord and plug - obviously is only a control voltage, not the motor power.

Incidentally, Grainger has a foot switch with cord for about $20. Search for Grainger part number 2A191 at www.grainger.com (http://www.grainger.com) or stop by your local outlet (usually in the part of town where all the repairmen get their parts).

Charlie-I am using the pedals from the sewing machines on my Dewalt scroll saw and variable speed drill press, both of which have the speed control on the mchines--the foot pedal turns the machines on and off and the machine control the speed they are set for (am I clear??)
Bob