PDA

View Full Version : MOPA owners.

Neville Stewart
09-18-2017, 10:36 PM
Could you name some surprising things youve managed to achieve intentionally or accidentally running a mopa vs non mopa fiber laser and on what materials. Could you speak to the capability & versatility of pulse width and higher frequency range? TIA Neville

Jacob John
09-19-2017, 7:16 PM
I guess there are no MOPA owners here. :D

Neville Stewart
09-19-2017, 8:05 PM
Guess youre right : ()

John Lifer
09-19-2017, 8:09 PM
There probably are NO MOPA AND NonMOPA owners.

I have a low end MOPA, but nothing to compare it to.......
Can't answer your question......
But as to surprise, about the only thing, has been the JDS leatherette material. It lasers GREAT with the MOPA fiber, way better than a CO2

Neville Stewart
09-19-2017, 9:06 PM
well thats good to know TY

Jacob John
10-10-2017, 6:30 PM
Are we sure you can't mark color with Q-Switched? I have someone insisting they can get consistent red, white, and blue with a Q. I was sent a few pics and it's absolutely impressive what he's showing me. I thought it was nigh impossible to get these colors with Q.

Gary Hair
10-11-2017, 12:08 PM
Are we sure you can't mark color with Q-Switched? I have someone insisting they can get consistent red, white, and blue with a Q. I was sent a few pics and it's absolutely impressive what he's showing me. I thought it was nigh impossible to get these colors with Q.

Impossible? No. Impractical? Yes.

Kev Williams
10-11-2017, 2:00 PM
"white"?

There's not many MOPA's around that will do white. Most MOPA's won't even produce a good blue...
this is SPI's MOPA offering...
Tykma's MOPA test plate- neither of these show a good blue...

The only white example I've seen, and best blue, is a Trotec piece... but guess what 'best' will cost ya? ;)

Can a regular fiber do colors? Here's what mine did! Even a reasonably decent blue!

But, this is the same plate looking straight-on... where'd the colors go?

My plate proves that yes, you can get colors with a non-MOPA, and to show it off as a hologram, it's pretty dandy :D
--but as "color engraving" goes-- it's pretty lame. ;)

Jacob John
10-11-2017, 5:12 PM
Here's the claim. These were done with a Q and can be done with apparent consistency.

Kev Williams
10-12-2017, 3:02 AM
I've been researching this, but with my limited understanding of laser-speak I'm still not entirely clear, BUT- best I can tell, and I may be wrong, the Chinese 'non-MOPA' fibers we're all familiar with are not Q-switched lasers. Couple of reasons, for one, in the EZcad paramaters menu, the only reference to Q-switching is given to, and only useable by, YAG lasers. The other reason is the limited frequency range our lasers have, which on my machine is supposedly 20kz to 200kz, however, in testing finicky materials like copper, once I'm below 30kz or above 90kz, virtually nothing different happens. Getting the colors requires a much greater range of frequencies-- as I understand it...

So a very possible reason he may getting nice colors, is he's likely using an "actual" Q-switched machine, and we're not... ?

Neville Stewart
10-12-2017, 8:40 AM
I think you are right Kev. I had an issue recently and in talking to XT laser I noticed that their setting was IPG which gave the Raycus 5-200 kHz or similar. I said isn't this just a 20-80 and he said it didn't matter. So while it worked fine, it didn't seem to act any differently than my other laser that was set to 20-80. I reset that one to IPG and it worked in either mode. That's why I think you are on the money there.

I've been researching this, but with my limited understanding of laser-speak I'm still not entirely clear, BUT- best I can tell, and I may be wrong, the Chinese 'non-MOPA' fibers we're all familiar with are not Q-switched lasers. Couple of reasons, for one, in the EZcad paramaters menu, the only reference to Q-switching is given to, and only useable by, YAG lasers. The other reason is the limited frequency range our lasers have, which on my machine is supposedly 20kz to 200kz, however, in testing finicky materials like copper, once I'm below 30kz or above 90kz, virtually nothing different happens. Getting the colors requires a much greater range of frequencies-- as I understand it...

So a very possible reason he may getting nice colors, is he's likely using an "actual" Q-switched machine, and we're not... ?