PDA

View Full Version : Painting cabinet doors over existing finish.

Robert Engel
09-18-2017, 4:04 PM
The doors have polyacrylic coating.

The client wants white cabs and would like to use existing doors/drawers.

I'm thinking a scuff and oil based primer but I don't know how I will get it all sanded, like ogee on the raised panel doors.

What do you all think?

Sorry I meant WB primer.

Doug Hepler
09-18-2017, 7:17 PM
Robert,

People say that dewaxed shellac sticks to everything and everything sticks to dewaxed shellac. This has proven true in my experience, although I have not recoated "everything." Zinsser makes this claim for their BIN shellac based primer. I think that a scuff sanding, as you said, and a careful wipe with TSP or ammonia solution may give you a satisfactory substrate for the re-coat with BIN primer. I did this with some 10-15 year old kitchen cabinets and it was fine. I used Impervo white enamel. After 5 years there were a few small chips where I suppose I missed with the sandpaper. Otherwise, adhesion was excellent.

Doug

mike waters
09-19-2017, 1:12 PM
80 grit sand
100 grit sand
stix primer
benjamin moore Satin Impervo
VOC of 375 though.

That stuff is the best. no brush marks. it becomes apart of the wood.

Jerry Olexa
09-20-2017, 11:22 AM
Agree with Doug,,Shellac is a simple, easy to apply, proven sealer with good adhesion..

Robert Engel
09-20-2017, 1:31 PM
Thx, yes I'm going with BIN shellac based primer.

I've resigned myself to the sanding the ogees on the rails and stiles will be a bit of a pain.

John TenEyck
09-20-2017, 3:34 PM
TSP or liquid sandpaper are your best friends for getting into the details, but I would do everything with it. Then BIN, then paint. I only spray WB, and I've used BM's Advance with great results when I need a durable paint. It's available in BM's full color palette. It takes a long time to dry and cure, but it sprays like a dream and is really durable after it finally cures.

I haven't used it yet but PPG's Breakthrough is supposed to be very good for this type of application. They claim you don't even need to use a primer first, though I would. Anyway, here's some info. on it: https://www.ppgpaints.com/products/breakthrough-50-interiorexterior-waterborne

John