PDA

View Full Version : More Coasters

Lee DeRaud
10-31-2005, 11:14 AM
Couple new designs, walnut/cherry/maple/canary as before. The "square" one needs some design tweaks: tolerance stacking in the small pieces opened up some of the joints, plus the glue-up is a royal pain. The round ones are so simple, I'm not sure the word "design" really applies:p. But at least I was able to find some self-stick cork for the backs...HD sells it as shelf/drawer liner.

Bernie Weishapl
10-31-2005, 4:21 PM
Those are just to cool Lee. Very nice work.

Vaughn McMillan
10-31-2005, 4:28 PM
Wow Lee, those look great. I particularly like the square ones.

- Vaughn

Brent Brod
10-31-2005, 6:02 PM
Lee,

Try cutting a square out of something larger that you can use while assembling. I encountered a similar issue gluing up a multi part item, but if it's inside a corral it goes a lot easier.

Great idea for coasters, by the way.

-Brent

John Hart
10-31-2005, 6:24 PM
WOW!!! Those are beautiful Lee! Sell me some!;)

Frank Foley
10-31-2005, 6:48 PM
Very nice Lee, very nice indeed.:)

Frank

John Cavanaugh
10-31-2005, 7:20 PM
Those look really nice, Im gonna have to add this to my todo list. To bad that list is now spilling onto about page 20. :cool:

So how did you make those?? Was each one a separate glue up of all the individual pieces, or did you laminate the woods together as a block then run them thru the bandsaw??

--
John Cavanaugh

Lee DeRaud
10-31-2005, 7:22 PM
Try cutting a square out of something larger that you can use while assembling. I encountered a similar issue gluing up a multi part item, but if it's inside a corral it goes a lot easier.Actually, I did that...considering how fussy it was anyway, I don't even want to think about how hard it would be "loose".:eek:

Lee DeRaud
10-31-2005, 7:35 PM
TSo how did you make those?? Was each one a separate glue up of all the individual pieces, or did you laminate the woods together as a block then run them thru the bandsaw??Process goes roughly like this:
1. The pieces are cut from 1/8" stock.
2. Each one is assembled face-up inside a hole in a piece of 1/4" MDF and taped together. (Note that there are a whole bunch of wrong ways to lay out the square pattern. DAMHIKT.:p)
3. Glue pre-fabbed blank to the backer (1/8" MDF).
4. Remove tape and sand/scrape face-side smooth.
5. Template-rout edge to final dimension and contour.
6. Finish, SealACell/ArmRCoat/lacquer/whatever. I made a "bed-of-nails" rack (screws through a chunk of 1/4" MDF) to hold them for finishing.
7. Apply cork to back.

Would not want to do this without the laser: it would be bad enough to cut the actual pieces by hand, but there are also all the router templates and assembly jigs.:eek:

Dick Parr
10-31-2005, 7:53 PM
Those are great looking Lee, wonderful job.

Shari Loveless
10-31-2005, 8:05 PM
Lee,
Your coasters are quite beautiful. I especially like the square ones. You might want to consider doing quilt block patterns in these. I'm sure there is a market.
Shari

Lee DeRaud
10-31-2005, 8:15 PM
You might want to consider doing quilt block patterns in these.Watch this space.:D
I'm sure there is a market.I wouldn't be surprised, but right now I'm just trying to put a dent in my Christmas list.:eek:

Jamie Buxton
10-31-2005, 8:33 PM
Lee, have you looked into "double-bevel marquetry"? I've done a little of it, and it seems like it would be a fine technique to build those coasters with. A cool thing about it is that you cut both sides of a seam simultaneously, so if your cut wanders a bit, it wanders in both materials so that there is no gap between the pieces. And the double-bevel part of the technique assures that there is no visible kerf line -- yeah, magic!

Corey Hallagan
10-31-2005, 11:28 PM
Very cool Lee! Those lasers are amazing!

Corey

Lee DeRaud
10-31-2005, 11:51 PM
Lee, have you looked into "double-bevel marquetry"? I've done a little of it, and it seems like it would be a fine technique to build those coasters with. A cool thing about it is that you cut both sides of a seam simultaneously, so if your cut wanders a bit, it wanders in both materials so that there is no gap between the pieces. And the double-bevel part of the technique assures that there is no visible kerf line -- yeah, magic!I've done some of that with the scrollsaw. Thing about the coasters is, the cutting of the actual face stock is the easiest/quickest part, even without the laser. (Although I'll admit cutting perfect circles on a scrollsaw is way beyond my skill level.:eek: )

Lee DeRaud
11-03-2005, 3:03 PM
You might want to consider doing quilt block patterns in these.Ok, on second thought, maybe that wasn't such a good idea: 82 pieces times 4 coasters equals close to half an hour each just to layout for the glue-up. Don't think I'll be making any more of these...I think I understand now how John Hart felt about his poplar vase.:eek:

(For those who missed that reference, it's at http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25731 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25731))

John Hart
11-03-2005, 3:11 PM
...Don't think I'll be making any more of these...I think I understand now how John Hart felt about his poplar vase....

Ahhhh. It feels so good to be understood!!:)