PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
10-31-2005, 10:58 AM
Well, another weekend has come and gone. No real shop time this weekend as I was working on building repairs and maintenance at a local "mission" this Saturday. Sunday was church and getting things together for building this hearth since the new woodstove will be installed this Friday.

Don't ya just "love" learning new skillsets under pressure?

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Don Baer
10-31-2005, 11:14 AM
I cleaned the shop on saturday and made a table top extension for my TS that will become my router table.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-31-2005, 11:16 AM
Saturday, I recovered from my late night return from Milwaukee.

Sunday....watched a little football and resumed finishing wallboard on ceiling in my shop.

Kurt Aebi
10-31-2005, 11:17 AM
Replaced the brake pads and rotors on my Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab. I'm glad that the passenger side fron was the last one to change as it was "The Golden Wheel" and had No Problems at all with it - everything lined up the first try. Did I ever tell ya - I Hate Brake Jobs! (I hate paying the high labor charge teh garages charge even more!!).
Got the brake job done and was feeling rather good with my self when I decided to test the Emergency Brake and I hear a loud "twang" and the pedal just went zoom to the flor! Well next w/e I'll be replacing the brake cable and setting up the emergency brakes! (Did I mention - I Hate Brake Jobs!!! )

Sunday after church , I helped my FIL's neighbor with moving into their "Vacation" house which has now become their primary residence since they have sold their city house in Poughkeepsie, NY. He has a lot of old "Neandor" ww'ing tools and he said he'd show me how to use and care for them in exchange for a few lessons with the new power equipment. This is th egentleman that gave me the old Sears/Dunlap woodlathe that was his father's.

He is a Digital Photographer and is setting up a studio above his garage and said that I could display some turnings, pens and other small ww'ing projects there for his customers to see. He is also going to be teaching a digital photography class at teh local Tech Center that I most likely will take.

Have a great & safe week!

Ray Arnold
10-31-2005, 11:31 AM
Got all the rail & styles made and all the raised panels complete for phase two of my kitchen project, I will be doing some assembly and sanding during the week (after work) and next weekend should be ready to start installing them , I will try and post some picks this week, thats it for now.

Jim O'Dell
10-31-2005, 11:31 AM
Well, I worked a half day Sat, then spent some time shipping for lights and accessories for the shop. Couldn't find anything better than HD T8 fixtures. I'm trying to build some reflectors between the ceiling joists to put the lights up int since I have a low ceiling 7' 7". I've built some wood brace/forms, and thought I'd use some valley flashing to be the reflector...WAY TOO FLIMSEY!!! Now I need to find something else that will work. So another delay.
But at least we're finally getting a little much need rain this morning. Have a good week everyone. Jim.

Jim Fancher
10-31-2005, 11:32 AM
I grouted some tile (still not finished) and laid around sick most of the weekend. At least I got something done. I thought the weekend would be a total loss.

Oh, I got out "Jim's Christmas Wishbook" (Festool catalog) and daydreamed for awhile.

Frank Pellow
10-31-2005, 11:35 AM
Another weekend came and went with no yime in the shop. Our time was spent at several social events and when, not at one them, with our grandchildren.

The accomplishment of the weekend was that my grandson Ethan finally learned how to operate the pedals of the car that I made a year and a half ago. A couple of pictures are attached. The lady in the second picture is my wife, Margaret.

Tyler Howell
10-31-2005, 11:45 AM
Finally, Some Wood chips.
First time in months. It was only to install a cylinder dead bolt in my mother's home, but still the smell of 150 year old doug fir. I was so move I went down in the shop and started moving stuff around. Hopefully the spirit will continue.
Have a great week.;)

Andrew Ault
10-31-2005, 11:59 AM
I went to visit my grandfather for his 96th birthday. I went with my mother, father and sister. We haven't traveled as our family for decades. My sister and I left our spouses at home. We all live in San Diego and my grandfather lives in the Central Valley here in California and the drive up was the same drive we all made together for years. My sister and I (jokingly) again begged my parents to stop at Magic Mountain and like every time since it was built, they said "no". :) Actually, I was driving, so I guess I said "no" this time.

My grandfather and his wife are doing really well and looked great. They live together in a house and do everything themselves. They both still drive and grandpa still tinkers and plays his fiddle. He plays pool with his buddies most days.

He has really mellowed in the last few years. He says that age is taking it's toll. He no longer crushes my hand like he did when I was a kid. :)

I've made a list of things they need at their house for my next visit. Things are in pretty good repair, but there is always something, of course. They lived through the depression, so they don't like to spend money. My dad, uncle and I are going to get an estimate on something that needs attention.

We feel so fortunate that they are doing well. Just amazing.

Late Sunday afternoon I was able to get work done around the house and make progress on a dovetail jig I'm making.

John Hart
10-31-2005, 12:24 PM
Spent all day saturday in front of the Lathe....Great feeling. Sunday...more lathe time...moved a Black Cherry tree from my neighbors yard to my yard (In chunks of course) Spent Sunday evening Weaving with the girls.

Very nice weekend. I think I need more of those!!;)

Frank Pellow
10-31-2005, 12:27 PM
Andrew, I very much enjoyed hearing about your trip to visit your grandfather. 96 and apparenetly continuing to live a full life, great! My wish is that he may continue to do so for a long time to come!

Keel McDonald
10-31-2005, 12:30 PM
I spent all day Saturday, and most of the day Sunday, working on a reception desk. It is one of three I need to get finished in the next 30 days. Wish me luck!

Matt Meiser
10-31-2005, 12:36 PM
Saturday we finished up the trim work and cleaned up from our window replacement job. My wife is happy because she can finally get her car in the garage. Later in the day we visited Harbor Freight so I could pick up a couple pairs of dial calipers. I'm going to mount them on my planer and maybe my drum sander to create a non-digital Wixey-type readout. Sunday we spent time at my parents. My dad made me an extension for the tensioning crank on my bandsaw and then came over to my house to install it. Sunday evening I finished up some cutting boards I'm going to try to sell.

JayStPeter
10-31-2005, 12:47 PM
Saturday I spent time with the boys carving pumpkins and decorating for haloween.
Sunday I got a half day of shop time. Things are progressing well with the kids beds. I dry fitted the first headboard and made a bunch of other progress. Just 3 more large panel glueups and it'll be getting close. Unfortunately, the wood is still rough and my planer is too. I'll tear into it one night this week and try to diagnose the problem (I suspect something either loose or broken in the outfeed roller).

Jay

Mark Cothren
10-31-2005, 12:58 PM
Did a little turnin' this weekend. Helped put on a "festival" for the kids at church Saturday. I was in charge of building/watching the fire for roasting marshmallows (real tough job ;) ).

Was flippin' channels and saw a Friday the 13th movie on and this woman was doin' battle with the bad guy - she was flingin' this chainsaw around tryin' to saw him up. They were in a shed/barn. He had a machete for his weapon. Anyway, some gas got spilled out and a fire erupted! And it was at this time that I got the full effect of the scary movie! I yelled at the TV - "AAAHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhh! There's a handplane on that shelf back there about to burn!"

I'm not kiddin' either. There it was - right there on the shelf. Flames lickin' it all over. I had to change the channel...

My wife looked at me like a calf starin' at a new gate... I don't EVEN want to know what she was thinkin'....:cool:

Scott Coffelt
10-31-2005, 1:04 PM
We had the big Olathe showdown in high school football this weekend and my nephew plays. Battle of undefeated 6A's. Unfortunately, they got out coached and lost. Hopefully they can meet again in the district semi's.

Saturday my son had his last flag football game. School spookfest that evening.

Sunday in between family activities, I was able to get into the shop and tear down a kitchen cabinet I had made and begin converting it to a new bathroom vanity cabinet.

Caught a little football, golf and NASCAR on the telly. And stayed up way too late watching the game last night.

John Hart
10-31-2005, 1:08 PM
My wife looked at me like a calf starin' at a new gate... .

So THAT's what that look is!!!!! I've been wondering, and I get it a lot!:rolleyes:

Michael Gabbay
10-31-2005, 1:17 PM
Plumbing and tiling. Plumbing and tiling. Plumbing and tiling! It just won't stop!!! :mad:

The bathroom remodel continues. I got 99% of the tiling done. I need to order some more baseboard tiles and seal the wall and floor tiles. I wanted to get some real shop time in but everything else was too busy.

Steve Clardy
10-31-2005, 1:24 PM
Put a new treated floor in my 16' trailer. Had two patches on it, and about fell through it in another spot when delivering cabs week before last.

Had a family gathering here for my wifes family, kind of a late memorial to Her father.

Andrew Ault
10-31-2005, 1:33 PM
Andrew, I very much enjoyed hearing about your trip to visit your grandfather. 96 and apparenetly continuing to live a full life, great! My wish is that he may continue to do so for a long time to come!

Thanks, Frank. He's a good guy and worked hard as an oil roughneck and made sure his kids had a better life. I loved when he took me out to the oilfields when I was a kid and showed me how things worked.

- Andy

Vaughn McMillan
10-31-2005, 1:36 PM
Saturday was spent resting a bit from a long week at work, but I got another couple cutting boards finished, with two more soaking in mineral oil to be finished tonight or tomorrow. Also did some shrub trimming and other general yard work.

I also got a "final" coat of finish on a box I've been working on, only to decide I still don't like the lines of the box, so it'll be going back into cosmetic surgery soon. I had another box about 98% done (just needed to install the bottom) when a chunk of juniper fell off a high shelf in the garage onto the top of my box, leaving a nasty gouge on the edge of the top. Grafting new wood wasn't really workable, so I'm in the process of building it back up with stainable epoxy putty. I had a lot of emotional investment in this particular box, so the top wasn't the only thing that was crushed. I'll post pics once the repair in complete.

Sunday LOML and I went to a "retirement brunch" for one of her co-workers at the Ritz-Carlton in Pasadena. Suffice to say, it sure wasn't your average Denny's or I-HOP, and we had a great meal and a nice time visiting with folks. After brunch, LOML says "Since we're already in Pasadena, do you need anything from Rockler?" (Have I mentioned that I love this girl?) Picked up a few odds and ends, and a couple nice pieces of wood for future box projects I have in mind.

- Vaughn

Andy Hoyt
10-31-2005, 1:37 PM
Been raining like mad up here for the past week and since our house and barn sit on ledge we have sump pumps underneath both. The one under the barn failed Friday night and by the time I discovered this Saturday morning we had two feet of standing water down there. Shot off to Agway, got a new pump and set it up. Once I could see the bottom of the pit I knew I'd have to redig the hole asap.

Try re-digging a sump pump pit when it's still receiving tons of water!

And that's why I didn't do a darn thing on Sunday.

Paul Canaris
10-31-2005, 1:51 PM
Recupperating from a business trip...airlines are a pain....
Spent most of the weekend finishing my JWW style vacuum veneer press. I used a Gast I purchased off e-$*y (7 CFM); but all other parts are from JWW. I am very happy with the results. I tested the reservoirs to determine that they were air tight; 23 inches of mercury with no drop over a two hour period.:p <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I am now in the process of making the bags; one will be approximately 48" square and the other will be 72" by 27".
Watched all of Steven Kings, "Rose Red"; 6 hours of butt blistering TV.:D :D

Dennis Peacock
10-31-2005, 2:02 PM
Put a new treated floor in my 16' trailer. Had two patches on it, and about fell through it in another spot when delivering cabs week before last.

Hey Clardy,

You can put a new treated floor in my trailer if ya need another one to do. Mine's got some holes in it big enough to park a trailer in. :eek: :p :rolleyes:

Timo Christ
10-31-2005, 2:30 PM
I got some quality shop time this weekend, the LOML was out ;) ..
Worked on bandsaw setup some more, got the laser mounted. I hope it will help with with dovetails and other freehand cuts on the BS.
Also spent alot of time doing shop remodeling, moved a table around, re-organized lots of stuff and put some new shelves up. There is still alot of mess in the bench room. The ww machine shop is almost useable again.. stand by for the shop tour, hopefully next weekend :)
Also made plans and more plans, for improved dust collection (hacking the new esta collector..) and a router table addition to my small table saw.

Timo

Fred Dorn
10-31-2005, 3:33 PM
No shop time this weekend. Worked all day Saturday and spent Sunday at a surprise 80th birthday party for my father.

Dan Gill
10-31-2005, 5:21 PM
I finally got around to making the moldings for the hanging bookshelf I'm doing for some neighbors.

The first picture shows one of the units with a couple of shelves in place. It's basic face-frame cabinetry. There are two units this size and one that's taller and narrower, but deeper in the center. It will hang on french cleats.

The second picture is of the moldings I made for the top. They are a close match for the molding on a armoire style computer desk they already have. I couldn't find the moldings, so I made them as close as I could. The bottom is made with a series of saw kerfs on a jig like a box joint jig. (Remind me never to do that again - mind numbingly boring.) The top is two stacked pieces, one with a stepped roundover on the bottom of it and another with just a 1/4 in roundouver.

It will be stained as soon as they pick out the stain. They're trying to match the existing piece and having a difficult time. I'm colorblind, so I insisted they would pick the stain from the beginning. If I picked it, there's no way it would match.

Jim Becker
10-31-2005, 6:47 PM
I did get some shop time this weekend cutting and finishing some components for the final, final bit of cabinetry left over from my 2003 kitchen renovation...yea, I know...'bout time. This is for the cubby between the fridge and the wall and will be a place for the girls to hang their coats and hats, etc. I will post pictures later in the week. I also hung a blind in the MBR to replace an old shade, made and installed some small auxilliary shelves in the bathroom cabinet for more efficient storage of "stuff". Otherwise, a little last minute travel shopping, getting the wood I cut and split last weekend stacked in the rack on our patio and a few other odds and ends.

Fred Voorhees
10-31-2005, 7:01 PM
Firmed up the plans on this coming weekends salmon fishing expedition to Oswego,NY over the weekend. Most of the day Saturday was spent in the shop getting started on the fabbing up of a cabinet that will contain the new Widdy dart board for the bar room. Treated the better half to breakfast on Sunday morn at the local Perkins and then did just a tad more work on the cabinet before the guys came over to watch the days NASCAR event on the telly in the bar room and enjoy some games of pool.

Steve Clardy
10-31-2005, 7:08 PM
Hey Clardy,

You can put a new treated floor in my trailer if ya need another one to do. Mine's got some holes in it big enough to park a trailer in. :eek: :p :rolleyes:

Bring er on up Buddy. We are open!!!;)

Anytime Dennis. You need to get out of Arkieland for a bit.:D

Rick de Roque
10-31-2005, 7:50 PM
Finally got to finish this small chest of drawers/filing cabinet. It's for the computer room and the printer will sit on top with the drawers for paper etc. It's made of solid cherry and I made my first sliding DT's. It was a simple project but will fit with the desk and TV cabinet I built. Used as the finish was #1 shelac followed by BLO and 3 coats of waterlox buffed out with 0000 steel wool.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/rd4212/woodworking%20stuff/smallchestofdrawers.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/rd4212/woodworking%20stuff/1stslidingDT.jpg

thanks,
rick

Tom Hamilton
10-31-2005, 8:32 PM
After a little yard work and a couple of rides on the new Cruisers, (bikes with pedals not HOGS) I started a new project for the grand daughters.

Lowe's recently mailed plans for a storage locker to corral kids balls, skates, backpacks etc.

Our daughter asked if I could make three for her three girls. You can imagine the collection of stuff floating in the current in their house.

So after a check with the Cut List software I discovered that the plans required three sheets of goods to make on locker, plus material for face frames and hardward. Great plans for a seller of plywood etc, but not so good for me.

After consultation with the "client" we resized to get three lockers out of four sheets of MDF. I made a sample our of ply and got approval last night to proceed with the project.

So, off we go! Progress pics as they are available. ;)