PDA

View Full Version : They're baaack

steven c newman
09-16-2017, 9:15 PM
Stopped in at Aldi's Friday..
$6.99 + sales tax...

Haven't taken these out of the package, yet....

Bought a set about 2 years or so ago.....still going strong.
My current users. If I get a bit of time, I may tune the new ones up. Might even post a few pictures....

First set was well worth the money....this new set may be as well....we'll see....

Mark Gibney
09-16-2017, 11:52 PM
Ha! I was just in Aldi with my wife an hour ago, and I saw the chisels on sale. I said, honey, these are great - I got two sets last year, and the backs were flat on every one out of box. I turned one set into parers. And they hold their edge well.

She looked like she does just before she falls asleep.

Praki Prakash
09-17-2017, 1:14 AM
Ha! I was just in Aldi with my wife an hour ago, and I saw the chisels on sale. I said, honey, these are great - I got two sets last year, and the backs were flat on every one out of box. I turned one set into parers. And they hold their edge well.

She looked like she does just before she falls asleep.

Mark, your location says it's Los Angeles. Is there an Aldi store there? I would love to get a set or two but there is no store in NorCal.

Mark Gibney
09-17-2017, 10:36 AM
Praki, you're right there are Aldi stores all over SoCal, there is one in Hawthorne fairly close to me.

I'm pretty sure they'll be up near you soon. Is there one in Sebastopol already?

Simon MacGowen
09-17-2017, 11:04 AM
Thanks to Paul Sellers, people are selling them, say, on ebay, for $24 plus shipping.

Simon

Mike Brady
09-17-2017, 11:05 AM
Hey, they're ok.....just not quite as fabulous as everyone would have you believe. Paul Sellers should get a dollar for every set of these he has sold.

steven c newman
09-17-2017, 11:15 AM
Been using a set for 2+ years, now......no complaints.

Todd Stock
09-17-2017, 11:35 AM
A few of my students picked up sets, and I'll admit to squirreling away a couple of sets to stock additional benches. After clean-up, they are not bad at all - certainly on par for edge retention with many of the O1 chisels in the shop. In terms of closest match, the steel sharpens and retains an edge like some of the Marples Shamrock-marked firmers we have. That comparison does not hold for the handles, which are even worse than the horrible oval Two Cherries handles. Given the role these play in the shop (student tools and my site kit), they may get some work to strip the finish and a little reshaping, but the best fix would be re handling.

One of my student's in process shots of her 18mm getting cleaned up and trialed.

David Ragan
09-17-2017, 12:22 PM
I have often wondered, is there a way to improve the performance of more economical steel? Maybe heat treat and temper?

The things that matter are:
1) 'grain size'
2) hardness
3) edge retention
4) this terminology is likely not correct

Is the above true? Metallurgy is a fascinating topic-one on which I'm relatively ignorant on.

However, it would be cool to have a small forge, etc and get a swan from an ugly duckling.

steven c newman
09-17-2017, 12:34 PM
Hmmm, but....at $1.75 each for these chisels....is it worth all of that? Just tune them up, and use them.

Todd Stock
09-17-2017, 12:42 PM
Sort of like Rittenhouse 100 in a Manhattan...works surprisingly well, given the price, and there are other choices that will run you a lot more without being noticeably better. Bottoms up!

Frederick Skelly
09-17-2017, 12:43 PM
Metallurgy is a fascinating topic-one on which I'm relatively ignorant on.
However, it would be cool to have a small forge, etc.

+1. I think it would be neat to have a forge, and they can be affordable. Check this one out David: link (http://www.chileforge.com/forges_habanero_details.html)

David Ragan
09-17-2017, 1:12 PM
+1. I think it would be neat to have a forge, and they can be affordable. Check this one out David: link (http://www.chileforge.com/forges_habanero_details.html)

Dang, Frederick. Izzat affordable?

Aren't there some cheapo versions on YouTube? for the infrequent fool?

David Bassett
09-17-2017, 1:40 PM
... Aren't there some cheapo versions on YouTube? for the infrequent fool?

Don Weber describes a simple one-burner propane forge in the special features to his "Build a Viking Tool Chest" DVD, published by Pop Wood. One note on that, he says you can build it in $25-30 of parts, but that depends on your location and scrap pile. Clearly he had spare fire bricks to use, because they cost ~$90 new here in SF Bay Area. Also, his ACE Hardware has different stock than our local one. When I took ours his parts list, they got wide eyed and suggested a welding supply might have that stuff.

Several other designs, of different size and complexity, floating around. (I think someone has a smaller, single molding plane iron size, oven posted here. Maybe in Metal Working sub-forum?)

Frederick Skelly
09-17-2017, 1:55 PM
Aren't there some cheapo versions on YouTube? for the infrequent fool?

Sure there are. Depends on what you want to do. Me? I currently temper with a Map Gas torch and a coffee can full of lime (total cost $30). But if I ever decide to start banging hot steel on an anvil, and doin it regularly, that chilli forge is something worth saving a couple years for. :D :D :D

Patrick Chase
09-17-2017, 2:28 PM
Hey, they're ok.....just not quite as fabulous as everyone would have you believe. Paul Sellers should get a dollar for every set of these he has sold.

Remember that Paul was basically looking for something cheap-but-good-enough to hand out to all of the students who show up to his classes with crappily prepared chisels. That's a fairly low bar and not misleading IMO, though I think that some of his readers have subsequently "over interpreted" his writings.

Patrick Chase
09-17-2017, 2:38 PM
I have often wondered, is there a way to improve the performance of more economical steel? Maybe heat treat and temper?

The things that matter are:
1) 'grain size'
2) hardness
3) edge retention
4) this terminology is likely not correct

Grain size and hardness are low-level physical attributes, to which you can add several more, starting with composition (both initial and post-heat-treatment).

Edge retention is a high-level performance attribute, that depends on all of the physical attributes as well as the specific workload and edge geometry to be evaluated.

However, it would be cool to have a small forge, etc and get a swan from an ugly duckling.

At that point it would be better to start from raw steel of your choice rather than trying to "enhance" existing tools like the Aldis, as there's only so far you can go with cheap Cr-V alloys etc. That's particularly true if you want to benefit from modern tricks like PM.

David Bassett
09-17-2017, 2:50 PM
Apparently I was way behind on my browsing and in catching up, I notice Pop Wood posted this:

Don Weber describes a simple one-burner propane forge....

on their blog last week:

Backyard Propane Forge (https://www.popularwoodworking.com/projects/shop-projects/build-backyard-propane-forge)

(I notice the estimated cost has gone up a little though! :) )

Frederick Skelly
09-17-2017, 2:53 PM
Remember that Paul was basically looking for something cheap-but-good-enough to hand out to all of the students who show up to his classes with crappily prepared chisels. That's a fairly low bar and not misleading IMO, though I think that some of his readers have subsequently "over interpreted" his writings.

You're probably right Pat. But still, I'm quite happy with mine. They hold an edge well for the woods that I work and they were easy to tune and sharpen.

They aren't LV or LN or other high end brand. But honestly? I have tried and tried and tried to talk myself into a set of high end chisels and just cant get there. I know I'd like them - how could I not? But I just dont feel the need. What I have is well tuned and does everything I need. ("What I have" also includes a set of Marples blue handles (with the white ring) and Narex paring chisels.)

[But that $1000 Chili Habenero Gas Forge - ooooooh baby! :D]
Fred

Patrick Chase
09-17-2017, 3:14 PM
You're probably right Pat. But still, I'm quite happy with mine. They hold an edge well for the woods that I work and they were easy to tune and sharpen.

They aren't LV or LN or other high end brand. But honestly? I have tried and tried and tried to talk myself into a set of high end chisels and just cant get there. I know I'd like them - how could I not? But I just dont feel the need. What I have is well tuned and does everything I need. ("What I have" also includes a set of Marples blue handles (with the white ring) and Narex paring chisels.)

[But that $1000 Chili Habenero Gas Forge - ooooooh baby! :D]
Fred

I actually agree with you (though I do have some expensive chisels). With almost everything in life there is diminishing practical benefit for common usage (as opposed to Derek's freakish Oz woods) once you get beyond a certain point. For chisels that point is probably lower than a lot of us who do own expensive chisels would care to admit.

For gas forges on the other hand...

Andrew Pitonyak
09-17-2017, 3:35 PM
Thanks to Paul Sellers, people are selling them, say, on ebay, for $24 plus shipping.

As phineas and ferb would say "I know what we are going to do today" :D

I intended to buy a set, not that I need another set of chisels. I currently have a set or two of cheap stanleys that I keep around for the same reason that Paul Sellers did. Why sure neighbor, I do have a chisel that you can borrow.

steven c newman
09-17-2017, 3:51 PM
This is the set I have had since they first came out...2 years or so
has a few nicks, needs worked on....last 4 projects were a bit hard on them...
Might spend a little time next week. Between these and the new ones, might take an afternoon....something to do while the glue dries...

Patrick Chase
09-17-2017, 3:53 PM
As phineas and ferb would say "I know what we are going to do today" :D

I intended to buy a set, not that I need another set of chisels. I currently have a set or two of cheap stanleys that I keep around for the same reason that Paul Sellers did. Why sure neighbor, I do have a chisel that you can borrow.

I have some Borg Bucks and Stanleys for that (though the Aldis are cheaper and I'd grab a set if they were near me).

The last person to whom I lent a "throwaway set" came back a couple days later and asked something along the lines of "what are you doing with these things, surgery?". Most people just do not know what a sharp tool is, or what they're missing. In my experience that includes some people who've bought nicer chisels than Aldi/Buck/plastic-Stanley.

David Bassett
09-17-2017, 3:55 PM
To try and contribute to the original topic, (not that forges aren't cool! :) ), I book marked this blog post by Jim McConnell about tuning up the Aldi chisels:

https://thedailyskep.com/2016/06/07/they-are-cheap-for-a-reason/

It seems like a reasonable amount of work for a reasonably nice set of chisels on the cheap. (If only we had Aldi's locally....)

michael langman
09-17-2017, 9:49 PM
Steven, Thanks a million for the notice on the Aldi's chisels. I have been trying for the last 4 years to get a set at the Aldis in town, but they were always sold out.
Ran into town and finally got a set.
I have a set of the Stanley Fat Max chisels and they really seem to hold an edge. The Aldi chisels will make nice paring chisels if they're as good as everyone says.

Patrick Chase
09-17-2017, 11:58 PM
I have a set of the Stanley Fat Max chisels and they really seem to hold an edge. The Aldi chisels will make nice paring chisels if they're as good as everyone says.

The steel on the Fat Max chisels is OK. Not great, but OK.

Those mile-high side flats and monstrous handles, though... Any work for which you need a tang that runs all the way through the handle to a strike plate is more or less the opposite of fine woodworking.

Mike Baker 2
09-18-2017, 7:50 AM
I picked up two sets a couple of days ago. I've been waiting for them at my local Aldi's for at least 18 months. Have not had a chance to hone them up yet, but one in the package that I opened has quite a jagged edge. Will take some work to get that edge back to solid steel and straight.
Nothing I can't handle, as I pick up any old useable chisel I find at the flea markets, and do the work to put them back in order.

Mike Brady
09-18-2017, 10:29 AM
I agree Patrick. Hey, I bought these too, several years ago; thinking they must be something special since they were touted by Sellers. A guy just called me to let me know that "those fantastic German (sic) (they're totally Chinese) chisels are available at Aldi in town". I have used them enough to form an opinion; and its not a high one. I guess what bothers me most is ignorance of the attributes of what really good chisels can do in practiced hands. I understand that many woodworkers have little use for a proper chisel since they have an assortment of expensive machinery to perform tasks. If you are desiring to gain hand tool skills, then investing in chisels that take and hold an edge, have decent balance, properly shaped blades, and comfortable handles is essential. If you can't afford a set then get a couple of sizes to start with. You will use those chisels for many years after the Aldis have been given away or lent.

michael langman
09-18-2017, 10:54 AM
I hear what your saying Patrick. I got the Fat Max chisels as a do all chisel. They were much less in price then a good bench chisel. The handles on the Aldi chisels are quite large also. Not totally elated about buying the Aldi chisels, but for the time being they will fit in nicely with what I have to work with for now.
I have my eye on a set of the Iles or Pfeil bench chisels in the future.
I would love to set up, and start producing fine, hammer forged chisels in my shop, but at my age and circumstances physically, see it as being unrealistic.

Simon MacGowen
09-18-2017, 11:32 AM
One problem with cheap imported tools is their variations in quality. Are you guys buying the latest Aldi's chisels sure they are the same ones in terms of quality that Sellers had when he tested his?

Though they had the same brand name and sold by the same retailer, the tool maker could be a different factory in China or the QC process might have been different, or missing this time even if it was the same factory.

We might be talking about different chisels with the same name.

Frankly, a good, economical set of chisels for chopping can be had if you go with the Narex and sharpen them at 30 of 35 degrees.

Simon

Mike Brady
09-18-2017, 12:40 PM
Good point, Simon. Aldi's U.S. headquarters is less than a mile from my house. They source their merchandise just like any grocery store would, meaning they don't import from Germany. I believe it was Paul Sellers who originally was so high on these chisels and the early ones were made in Germany, which is part of the EU just the same as the UK is. I think the answer to your question would be for PS to evaluate the Aldi chisels we get here. Unfortunately, he has no business presence in the U.S. and no longer travels here. I do know that the Stanley utility knife that he touts as a marking knife is different from the one that Stanley sells here. The chisels are substantially the same; certainly in appearance; and the drawbacks of their suitability for hand tool users go beyond the quality of the steel. He does quite a bit of handle modification, if I remember correctly.

Regarding "loaner" tools: How come my neighbors want to borrow my best tools; not my worst? If I handed them my Aldi chisel, their answer would be "Really?":rolleyes:

Rush Paul
09-18-2017, 1:38 PM
These Aldi chisels were never made in Germany. They were always made in a China and imported/distributed by a German company whose information was printed on the bottom side of the chisels. Some years ago, Paul Sellers did get some of the US distributed Aldi chisels to compare and he said they were identical to the ones he's been using in his schools in the UK.

I've just finished flattening and sharpening two sets of the 2017 US Aldi chisels (one set for me and one for my son-in-law), and these new 2017 chisels are different. They no longer have the German importer/distributor's name on the back; they now say imported by Aldi US, and the machining seems to be a even bit less finished from what I can tell from pictures of the earlier chisels (I don't have any to compare). Two of the eight chisels have very deep "hollow" grinds across the backs (they are almost arched in profile), but they are all flattening and sharpening well. I haven't put them to any use to see how well they hold up. It will take some time to know that.

steven c newman
09-18-2017, 5:14 PM
I have a 2 year old set, and the latest set......might do a side by side thing....IF anyone would be interested....

Mike Baker 2
09-18-2017, 5:27 PM
I have a 2 year old set, and the latest set......might do a side by side thing....IF anyone would be interested....

I certainly would.

Rush Paul
09-18-2017, 5:35 PM
I would be interested, too!

steven c newman
09-18-2017, 7:03 PM
Ok, might get a bit wordy..here goes...
Took them out of the package, and tossed the plastic edge protectors....Set eacn size beside the older version
This was also in the package.....1 year warrantee....
Both have been honed to 2000 grit....the area I did not like?
The area I did not care for?
Almost like firmer chisels.....those edges will slice a finger....
Another difference between the old and new chisels..
Older chisel is the lower one. Note how much more blade I have to work with. Not sure IF this is for a finger grip....
Both sets, side by side. Already sharpened up to 2000 grit. Backs are all flat.

Blades on the new chisels have a clear coat....easy enough to wire wheel off.
Widths are the same. Handles feel the same. So far, so good. I was peeling a bit of curly maple of the panel laying there. Didn't seem to bother the edges of the new chisels...I was going across the grain, at a bevel. Panel will get a beveled edge there later, anyway.

Anyone want those plastic edge guards? before I throw them out?

Mike Baker 2
09-18-2017, 7:24 PM
Thanks. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the handles don't look like the same species of wood. Old ones are clearly ash, with a big, bold grain.

steven c newman
09-18-2017, 7:29 PM
New wood vs old, well used wood....same wood looks like.

Pat Barry
09-18-2017, 7:38 PM
The only Aldi near me is a grocery store!

Simon MacGowen
09-18-2017, 7:42 PM
The two batches of chisels look slightly different (may also be due to the angles of the shots) and from their looks, Aldi has likely got their latest chisels from a different factory. Small factories in China come and go quickly; it is also easy to find or be approached by another factory that can beat the first one in price. Chisels are low tech stuff to them.

Established importers usually have resident QC people in China to work for them to ensure the quality of their goods before they leave the factories. If Aldi has such arrangement in place, the quality of different batches of chisels can be better kept even if the manufacturer has changed.

Simon

Mike Brady
09-18-2017, 8:19 PM
Pat, the Aldi chisels are sold at Aldi grocery stores. That's all they have in the U.S.

steven c newman
09-18-2017, 8:20 PM
Just went back to the shop...and took a look at the grain....older chisels have a coarser look to the grain, fewer growth rings. New handles have a lot more growth rings, and has ray flecks.

Todd Stock
09-18-2017, 8:30 PM
Hmm...we've had three of the four sets out thus far, and with 8 tools tweaked, no clear coat on any of the blades, other than the usual rust preventative slime quickly removed with naphtha. Felt pretty much like the older Marples in terms of how the blade prepped, sharpened, and cut. Edge retention was what I expected - about what an older Marples bench chisel or old Blue Chips give you. I chopped out some pins in hard maple and QSWO...they dulled about as much as I'd expect. I have A2 for stupid-hard stuff and abrasives, but these will do a decent job in what most furniture-oriented folks will likely work in most of the time.

Prep takes less time than the 1970's Two Cherries I prefer for GP bench chisels. Grinding was even but very rough, but it can be cleaned up with some effort, and working the bevel edges and face makes things a little prettier. There is def some labor in getting the Aldi chisels tuned, and even more if modding the handles, but these are tools for people with far more time than money.

VPA and FSC cert on packaging and handles...I suspect Seller's confusion on the Made in Germany was likely some sort of inspection/cert statement on the packaging. While I am spring-loaded to doubt the recommendations of those that make their living selling books, video courses and time machines, Sellers appears to have called this one correctly.

Frederick Skelly
09-18-2017, 8:37 PM

+3. Please do.

Mike Baker 2
09-18-2017, 8:50 PM
Just went back to the shop...and took a look at the grain....older chisels have a coarser look to the grain, fewer growth rings. New handles have a lot more growth rings, and has ray flecks.

Possibly oak?

steven c newman
09-18-2017, 8:57 PM
Could be.....or maybe just better Ash?

Bob Leistner
09-18-2017, 9:00 PM
I think the latest edition Aldi chisel are a Euro Beech. I'm going to start with reshaping the handles and lowering the bevel to 20 degrees and see if they can't be a decent paring type chisel. I have another set of Aldi's that I rehandled with Red Elm. Don't really notice a difference from the many other makers I have collected over the years. Since the Aldi chisels work that well I have given the others a break and just wear out the Aldis : ) Maybe I got a good set or maybe I'm just too busy using to worry about whose name is on the tool.

Todd Stock
09-18-2017, 9:38 PM
Possibly oak?

The sets we've seen look more like Euro beech than oak, but judge for yourself.

Mike Baker 2
09-18-2017, 9:42 PM
The sets we've seen look more like Euro beech than oak, but judge for yourself.

That is what mine look like. Thanks for posting, Todd.

Mike Baker 2
09-18-2017, 9:46 PM
I think the latest edition Aldi chisel are a Euro Beech. I'm going to start with reshaping the handles and lowering the bevel to 20 degrees and see if they can't be a decent paring type chisel. I have another set of Aldi's that I rehandled with Red Elm. Don't really notice a difference from the many other makers I have collected over the years. Since the Aldi chisels work that well I have given the others a break and just wear out the Aldis : ) Maybe I got a good set or maybe I'm just too busy using to worry about whose name is on the tool.

Let us know how this turns out after you've used them a while. I bought two sets and am thinking of doing this with one, and going with 35 degrees for the other.

Bob Leistner
09-18-2017, 10:09 PM
I am pretty confident they will be just fine as parers.
My regular set is around 30 degrees. I hand sharpen and end up with a rounded bevel that seems to make it hold up better.
If I struggle with the chisel in a harder/softer wood I adjust the angle just a little. I like to build for friends and family and won't be mistaken for a Chippendale or Townsend anytime soon.
I have the two smallest chisels now reshaped to a hex and shellacked.
I'm not sure if I like how narrow they are but the beech is wonderful wood to work. Would like to try it in a bigger project of some sort.
They will see plenty of action and I'll let everyone know.

Patrick Chase
09-18-2017, 11:10 PM
I think the latest edition Aldi chisel are a Euro Beech. I'm going to start with reshaping the handles and lowering the bevel to 20 degrees and see if they can't be a decent paring type chisel.

I am pretty confident they will be just fine as parers.

I'm sure they'll be perfectly serviceable, but 20 deg may be a bit low for Chromium-Vanadium steel. Let us know how that works out, and specifically if you see chipping problems at very low angles.

Rush Paul
09-18-2017, 11:13 PM
Steven, thanks for posting the pictures and your comments on what you see between the different sets. That long neck between the ferrule and the blade was one difference that jumped out at me when I first saw them in the store. I then went to three other stores in my area to see if this was a unit-to-unit variation in machining or consistent across this production run - all were the same.

I do like the appearance and feel of the different wood they've used. Just have to see if it holds up as well as the ash. And, my short experience thus far is as you noted: "So far, so good."

Frederick Skelly
09-19-2017, 6:29 AM
I think the latest edition Aldi chisel are a Euro Beech. I'm going to start with reshaping the handles and lowering the bevel to 20 degrees and see if they can't be a decent paring type chisel.

I got a set about 18 mos ago and sharpened to 22*. Not quite as shallow as you're planning, but if mine are any indication, you should be just fine. Look forward to hearing how it goes.
Fred

Jared Hendrix
09-19-2017, 8:29 AM
I picked up a set last night here in the Dallas area. Overall they seem ok for good starter/beater set of chisels. IMO, the lands could be finer, but they'll serve me well as paring and chopping chisels. I have an issue with a couple of the ones in my set not being square at the end and the bevels are nowhere near parallel to each other, but in the end they'll serve their purpose for $6 chisels .

When flattening the backs, all of mine had a hollow on the back. After 30 seconds or so with 400 grit paper (this was the coarsest i had on hand) on each one i had a good 1/4 inch of flatness at the tip. I didn't have time to flatten and sharpen all the way though.

Patrick Chase
09-19-2017, 10:42 AM
When flattening the backs, all of mine had a hollow on the back. After 30 seconds or so with 400 grit paper (this was the coarsest i had on hand) on each one i had a good 1/4 inch of flatness at the tip. I didn't have time to flatten and sharpen all the way though.

FWIW when I encounter a chisel like that I only work the first ~2" of the back, and focus my pressure at the tip to avoid creating a step in the center of the back. The depth of an arc is proportional to its length squared, so by only flattening the first 2" you reduce the amount of work you need to do by ~9X (assuming the blade is 6" long).

Pat Barry
09-19-2017, 5:22 PM
Stopped by my local Aldi and.... they are sold out. Oh well, maybe next time. I do wonder if the El cheapo Menards chisels aren't the same thing.

Chris Hachet
09-20-2017, 8:38 AM
I need to pick some of these up.

Chris

steven c newman
09-20-2017, 9:48 AM
If Aldi's in your area have been sold out of these chisels....come on over...

Pat Barry
09-20-2017, 4:50 PM
OK. I found another Aldi's and the y had some left. First - the good news - they had 3 sets. Now the bad news - I bought 2 of them. LOL

First impression: Backs are not close to flat. I figured they wouldn't be perfect, but putting two back to back leaves a gap of 1/16 to 1/8 inches between them (concave warpage on the back of each chisel - the number I stated = eyeballed not measured; is the biggest gap between any two chisels and yes, they are all warped). This is much more of a banana than I expected. I wonder if I could straighten these suckers out in a vise with a bit of a pull or not. I can't see any use in trying to grind this out.

Thoughts anyone?

steven c newman
09-20-2017, 4:54 PM
Bad set. I haven't found that problem on either of the sets I have.
YMMV

Patrick Chase
09-20-2017, 5:55 PM
Bad set. I haven't found that problem on either of the sets I have.
368249YMMV

When we're seeing here is the finest machining and QA that $7 can buy.

They're probably machining these chisels before heat treatment (like Narex) as doing so is much cheaper than post-machining, but leads to greater dimensional variation due to warping during heat-treating. They're probably also machining very rapidly and therefore hot to keep their tool utilization up, which leads to further variation when the tool cools. Some sets will be greatly impacted (as were Pat's) while others may be fairly straight (Steven's). That's OK, though, because they're probably not doing any QA, so they won't suffer any yield loss as a result. Your mileage will indeed vary.

I have no doubt that these chisels will be perfectly serviceable for everybody who bought them, but you have to be cognizant of what you are (and aren't) paying for. At less than $2 each they're cheap even compared to other pre-machined chisels (Narex etc) so you're getting a bargain regardless.

Simon MacGowen
09-20-2017, 6:44 PM
OK. I found another Aldi's and the y had some left. First - the good news - they had 3 sets. Now the bad news - I bought 2 of them. LOL

First impression: Backs are not close to flat. I figured they wouldn't be perfect, but putting two back to back leaves a gap of 1/16 to 1/8 inches between them (concave warpage on the back of each chisel - the number I stated = eyeballed not measured; is the biggest gap between any two chisels and yes, they are all warped). This is much more of a banana than I expected. I wonder if I could straighten these suckers out in a vise with a bit of a pull or not. I can't see any use in trying to grind this out.

Thoughts anyone?

Perhaps the worst that are beyond repair for use as chisels can be ground into scrapers, the way Bill Carter does?

Simon

Pat Barry
09-20-2017, 8:09 PM
The four from the one package are definitely warped - someone had commented earlier that they weren't warped - it was the grinding. They are concave on the back and convex on the front (bevel side). I can squeeze the two smaller ones together with my fingers and close up the gap between them so they aren't overly stiff. I am hopeful that they can be straightened up a wee bit though. Maybe have time Saturday to try that - if so I'll report back. Also will open the second package and check those 4 out.

Bob Leistner
09-20-2017, 8:39 PM
There's a warranty sheet in the package. Let's see what their customer service is like : ) I somehow doubt Mr. Lee is worrying......

Patrick Chase
09-20-2017, 9:57 PM
The four from the one package are definitely warped - someone had commented earlier that they weren't warped - it was the grinding. They are concave on the back and convex on the front (bevel side).

If they're that far out then it's more likely the fact that grinding was done before hardening/tempering than the grinding itself.

It's sort of a package deal, though, as the reason to grind before HT is because it saves a lot of machine time and money. Grinding in the annealed state is faster both because the metal is softer and because you don't have to worry about detempering, so you can run really hot, though that creates even *more* deformation. It's a vicious cycle :-).

Mike Brady
09-21-2017, 10:19 AM
They're $1.75 chisels!

Pat Barry
09-21-2017, 11:05 AM
They're $1.75 chisels!
They look like chisels. The handles look sturdy. I hope they work reasonably well and don't end up as paint can openers.

steven c newman
09-21-2017, 1:26 PM
It is not like these are $80 a piece chisels.....

I have been using the first set AS paring chisels....the 8mm for the few mortises that are that size. I can trim tenons simply by "driving" the chisel with my chin, while watching as I go. Peels end grain shoulders quite nicely that way.

Unlike Sellers, I use a flat bevel on mine. His is a more rounded shape....

IF someone want "perfect" chisels right out of the package....sorry, but that kind of chisel does not come in a blister pack. They are what they are....just decent, work-a-day bench chisels. Don't like the handles??? Make yours to suit YOU. These seem to fit my hands just fine. Would love to see Mr. Lee come out with a set at this price point.....doubt if he can...

bridger berdel
09-21-2017, 3:54 PM
It is not like these are $80 a piece chisels.....

I have been using the first set AS paring chisels....the 8mm for the few mortises that are that size. I can trim tenons simply by "driving" the chisel with my chin, while watching as I go. Peels end grain shoulders quite nicely that way.

Unlike Sellers, I use a flat bevel on mine. His is a more rounded shape....

IF someone want "perfect" chisels right out of the package....sorry, but that kind of chisel does not come in a blister pack. They are what they are....just decent, work-a-day bench chisels. Don't like the handles??? Make yours to suit YOU. These seem to fit my hands just fine. Would love to see Mr. Lee come out with a set at this price point.....doubt if he can...

Oooh, the gauntlet is thrown.
So what'll it be, Rob? Pigstickers at 20 paces?

Simon MacGowen
09-21-2017, 4:05 PM

They wouldn't be under the Veritas brand or made in this part of the world, would they?! Haha.

Simon

steven c newman
09-21-2017, 8:26 PM

Only in your mind, my young padewan, only in your mind...

The force is strong, with this one....:eek:

Gene Davis
09-26-2017, 2:05 PM
Just bought the last set at the local store (far NW Chicagoland) and hope for the best. $7.53 for package of four.

steven c newman
09-26-2017, 2:59 PM
Must be one whale of a sales tax up that way.....

Was beginning to wonder if anyone has used these chisels yet....

Patrick Chase
09-26-2017, 5:43 PM
Must be one whale of a sales tax up that way.....

Was beginning to wonder if anyone has used these chisels yet....

Let's be honest with ourselves: We GAS-afflicted hoarders do not accumulate knick-nacks like these because we have any real intention to *use* them.

"They're for when my buddies visit, so they don't hose my good chisels. Yeah, that's the ticket!"

Jim Koepke
09-26-2017, 7:45 PM
Let's be honest with ourselves: We GAS-inflicted hoarders do not accumulate knick-nacks like these because we have any real intention to *use* them.

"They're for when my buddies visit, so they don't hose my good chisels. Yeah, that's the ticket!"

You mean gas is caused by hoarding and not beans?

One of my drawers is full of user chisels for when someone other than me is going to use one of my chisels. Sometimes they even get taken out and used to make sure they are ready.

jtk

Patrick Chase
09-26-2017, 7:57 PM
You mean gas is caused by hoarding and not beans?

One of my drawers is full of user chisels for when someone other than me is going to use one of my chisels. Sometimes they even get taken out and used to make sure they are ready.

jtk

I fixed the original post (inflicted/afflicted).

Same here w.r.t. the drawer. Sometimes I give a set away to make room for more :-)

steven c newman
09-26-2017, 8:04 PM
Soooo...either of you two have never even tried these chisels......I take it? Amazing.......

Almost like a movie critic going to review a new movie, stays long enough to watch the Pink Panther cartoon, then leaves, only to pan the movie....

Patrick Chase
09-26-2017, 9:26 PM
Soooo...either of you two have never even tried these chisels......I take it? Amazing.......

Almost like a movie critic going to review a new movie, stays long enough to watch the Pink Panther cartoon, then leaves, only to pan the movie....

Err, it was a joke. I compulsively try things, even when I know that I have no intention of using them for Real Work (tm). I suspect Jim does too. I haven't tried the Aldis because there aren't any up this way, but I've tried many many cheap chisels.

Pat Barry
09-26-2017, 9:46 PM
I've tried one of the four in the set. As you recall, I noted earlier that they were pretty badly warped. I compared them to my Narex set and those Narex were very flat in comparison (as purchased). The Aldi was put in a vise and I was able to bend it back towards straight. After a few attempts I got to what I thought was close enough and then proceeded to do a quick sharpening with sandpaper. It was very easy to put an edge on, albeit I didn't go for a high quality edge. Overall, I felt the chisel was pretty soft. I planned to take them up to my cabin to keep up there for odd jobs so I wouldn't have to bring better quality ones up there. I don't feel they were a bad value for $6.99 though but they aren't worth much effort either. I have a second set that I bought at the same time that I planned to give to my son but not anymore. It was a bad idea to buy two sets.

steven c newman
09-26-2017, 9:58 PM
That is very strange, indeed...as I have been using one set since they first came out. I am now also using the latest set....both will be my "Go-to" sets from now on. Maybe you SHOULD go buy them $80 chisels then....

Jim Koepke
09-27-2017, 1:20 PM

How do you come to the conclusion that my remarks are a put down of these chisels?

From what has been said by those who have bought them they are not on par with my everyday user chisels.

The only reason I haven't bought a set is there aren't any in my area to buy.

Like Patrick, sometimes it is difficult to pass up a tool for such a tempting price. I did buy a set of 3 Stanley chisels:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?238778-Stanley-Chisel-Set

The cheap Stanley set are actually decent chisels. My regular users already have multiple chisels in the same sizes. The are also set up for different tasks at the bench. One of my accumulations of bevel edge chisels have minuscule lands for reaching into corners. Another group of bevel edge chisels is set up more for light chopping work. They have more of a land on the sides. This set also has some length to them for getting the waste out of dados and such. There is another set of short chisels that are very handy. Then there are a bunch of square sided chisels for the heavy lifting. After that everything else is relegated to the drawer of extras. There are actually some very good chisels in there. The better behaved ones often get a chance to come out and play with the others.

A set of Harbor Freight Windsor branded chisels almost got a ride home with me. The set in the store had what seemed to me to be defects in manufacture that changed my mind.

jtk

steven c newman
09-27-2017, 3:45 PM
Whatever.....

Thinking of grinding the sides of some of these chisels to be closer to "Imperial" sizes.....That would result in the 8mm being slimmed down to 1/4"......and may even transform it into a mortise style..OR...a Firmer stile of chisel. Current 1/4" Mortise chisel is by New Haven Edge Tool Co. others are either Butchers, or OLD Buck Brothers.....Firmer chisels I have are by Witherby.....

Rush Paul
09-27-2017, 4:42 PM
So many folks keep referring to these Aldi chisels as their "beater" chisels and yet Paul Sellers states multiple places that these chisels, when properly fettled, can do anything he demands of a chisel. Here is Sellers using his Aldi chisels in a recent picture he posted on Instagram. These are the chisels on which he modified the handles for aesthetics, not added functionality.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BZggdH2gJzs/?taken-by=paul.a.j.sellers

Mike Brady
09-27-2017, 7:40 PM
Paul Sellers always takes "the road less traveled". Not conforming with the crowd is part of his appeal and it brings him followers. None of this makes those chisels better made. They probably are better than many other cheap chisels, but if he thinks that "fettling" can make them hold an edge better or perform like premium chisels, he's just wrong.

steven c newman
09-27-2017, 8:09 PM
Says the voice that hasn't tried those chisels.......

They seemed to have held up very well in MY shop.....but..if buying overpriced tools makes you happy.........

Rush Paul
09-27-2017, 8:31 PM
Paul Sellers always takes "the road less traveled". Not conforming with the crowd is part of his appeal and it brings him followers. None of this makes those chisels better made. They probably are better than many other cheap chisels, but if he thinks that "fettling" can make them hold an edge better or perform like premium chisels, he's just wrong.
I have a different perspective. Paul Sellers is working very hard to de-mystify woodworking and take it back from something only "elites" can afford to do. His focus is to demonstrate that one can do outstanding woodworking without having to buy $30-80 chisels and $250 planes. His goal is to make this an affordable avocation for almost anyone to pursue, anywhere in the world. This informs his focus on acquiring good quality used tools that can be put back into service and on finding less expensive but still highly workable tools being made new, like these Aldi chisels. He's used them in his schools for the past half dozen years, so he's certainly had a lot of experience with them. He's never claimed these exceed other chisels; he's only stating that "these can be highly effective."

As to edge holding, Sellers has stated several times that these chisels take and hold an edge as well as any of the vintage high carbon chisels he's used and preferred over the years (Marples, etc). He still prefers the feel in his hands of his vintage boxwood handled chisels and of his Ashley Isles chisels. But, he demonstrates with the Aldi chisels to make the point that one can still get excellent quality results. His message is "these chisels can give me everything I demand of a chisel". And the quality of work he holds himself accountable to achieve sets a pretty high standard for any of us.

No offense intended to your assertion that some premium chisels may perform better; they may likely do so. And the harder steels used in some of these newer premium chisels may well hold an edge longer than the softer high carbon steel used in the Aldi and vintage chisels. Premium chisels certainly will be finished to a much higher standard from the factory. The Aldi are rough as rough can be straight out of the package and require some sweat equity investment to bring them to a working standard.

Rush Paul
09-27-2017, 8:32 PM
They seemed to have held up very well in MY shop...
And in mine, too.

Patrick Chase
09-27-2017, 9:43 PM
I have a different perspective. Paul Sellers is working very hard to de-mystify woodworking and take it back from something only "elites" can afford to do. His focus is to demonstrate that one can do outstanding woodworking without having to buy $30-80 chisels...

Why must there always be a false dichotomy between these and "$30-80" chisels?

Like most widely made tools chisels are priced along a continuum (with very nice options around $10-15), and subject to two truths:

1. In general you get what you pay for. Quality steel costs money. Quality processing and grinding costs money. QA costs money. There is no Santa Claus, no matter what some "Lifestyle Woodworker" may claim (and btw i've seen him post plenty of things that are just flat out false in the "earth is flat" sense of the word). You can certainly buy overpriced tools, but true quality in a newly manufactured tool does not come free.

2. There are diminishing returns. A certain amount of money buys you good steel and reasonable processing. Paying more than that delivers increasingly vanishing functional benefit. IMO for new chisels that breakpoint is somewhere around $10-15 each. Below that you're cutting bone, as Pat discovered. Above that you're paying for refinement (which costs significant money to provide, but provides relatively little functional benefit), consistency, and maybe exotic steel. Others will of course have different notions of "flesh" vs "bone" and different standards.

FWIW if I were trying to acquire chisels for less than $10 each or so then I would turn to the used market. I think that it's undervalued in the sense that you can get tools there for far less than the manufacturing cost to produce new ones of equivalent quality.

steven c newman
09-27-2017, 11:13 PM
While looking in the mirror...suppose you go and ask Mr. Sellers these questions? Everything else you just posted is the same old BS.......

I buy tools to USE, not to brag about how much they set me back, or to simply display in a cabinet....mine get used, and used hard.....those that can't take that kind of work get tossed...

Now, you are back on the ignore list.....go away...

Todd Stock
09-27-2017, 11:35 PM
I know the packaging says CrV, but these feel like standard high carbon steel. Not sure there's much difference I'm seeing between a old, abused Marples firmer and an Aldi...about the same price, likely about equal work in restoring them, so mainly the butt ugly handle part makes a difference for some folks. That said, one of the students said he really liked the Aldi handles. No accounting for taste.

Edge retention seems about the same as my older stuff and better than my Ashley Iles roundbacks, although I'd have to whack away at the Aldis for a couple decades to see if there are some subtle differences that only show up with AARP cards. Two of the four sets have been put into service, and a third prepped and stored... no differences between those we are using.

Rush Paul
09-27-2017, 11:41 PM
Why must there always be a false dichotomy between these and "$30-80" chisels?...
Patrick, I don't disagree with your points. But you insist on completely ignoring what I've tried to say. If one IS looking for an inexpensive set of chisels that actually perform quite well provided one is willing to invest some time in setting them up, the Aldi chisels have a good track record. They provide an affordable point of entry: they are serviceable and can meet most woodworking requirements when properly flattened and sharpened. This is pretty amazing for an $8 set of chisels sold by a grocery store. We should celebrate rather than denigrate the broader access to woodworking these encourage, particularly among those who may wish to engage in woodworking but have limited funds to invest. Be happy.

Jim Koepke
09-27-2017, 11:54 PM
Whatever.....

Thinking of grinding the sides of some of these chisels to be closer to "Imperial" sizes.....That would result in the 8mm being slimmed down to 1/4"......and may even transform it into a mortise style..OR...a Firmer stile of chisel. Current 1/4" Mortise chisel is by New Haven Edge Tool Co. others are either Butchers, or OLD Buck Brothers.....Firmer chisels I have are by Witherby.....

8mm is for all intents and purposes the same as 5/16". For a 1" piece that has been smoothed down to 7/8-15/16" that is a great size for a mortise chisel. One of my pig stickers is a 5/16".

Many of my 1/4" chisels cost less than the Aldi chisels. My plan was to acquire enough 1/4" chisels to have extras to turn into a pair of skew chisels.

SWMBO beckons...

jtk

steven c newman
09-29-2017, 1:13 AM
They at least work as paring chisels...
In Maple....

Jim Koepke
09-29-2017, 2:30 AM
They at least work as paring chisels...

They surely are capable of many tasks.

Do you grind a new bevel for your paring chisels? If so, what slope do you like for paring?

I like mine in the 20º area.

Have you ground any into skew chisels? My 1/4" & 1/2" skews come in handy.

jtk

Patrick Chase
09-29-2017, 9:41 AM
I know the packaging says CrV, but these feel like standard high carbon steel. Not sure there's much difference I'm seeing between a old, abused Marples firmer and an Aldi...about the same price, likely about equal work in restoring them, so mainly the butt ugly handle part makes a difference for some folks. That said, one of the students said he really liked the Aldi handles. No accounting for taste.

CrV is a blanket term for AISI/SAE 6000-series steels. Some of those have pretty low alloy content to the point where they might feel like HCS for most purposes.

James Pallas
09-29-2017, 10:18 AM
I bought a set a few years back for 4.99. I sharpened them up. Backs were fairly flat, no big problem. They work OK. Have not used them for any heavy chopping. My problem is they are metric. I have put them in the metric tools box. I don't have a problem with working in metric but when I do I use it throughout. I tend to use my chisels as gauge blocks so having metric or imperial mixed messes me up a bit. I definitely try to keep things separated.
Jim

Jim Koepke
09-30-2017, 2:02 AM
I bought a set a few years back for 4.99. I sharpened them up. Backs were fairly flat, no big problem. They work OK. Have not used them for any heavy chopping. My problem is they are metric. I have put them in the metric tools box. I don't have a problem with working in metric but when I do I use it throughout. I tend to use my chisels as gauge blocks so having metric or imperial mixed messes me up a bit. I definitely try to keep things separated.
Jim

If you work with any plywood for drawer bottoms or other construction a set of metric chisels may be good to have. There doesn't seem to be any 1/4" plywood anymore, it is 6mm.

One frustrating aspect of metric for me is chisel makers do not always agree if 3/4" is 18, 19 or 20mm.

jtk

James Pallas
09-30-2017, 9:51 AM
If you work with any plywood for drawer bottoms or other construction a set of metric chisels may be good to have. There doesn't seem to be any 1/4" plywood anymore, it is 6mm.

One frustrating aspect of metric for me is chisel makers do not always agree if 3/4" is 18, 19 or 20mm.

jtk
You are exactly right about that Jim. There are those cases where they are useful. To me it's like wrenches also I don't like the mental anguish of having to think through that "is it 5/16 or 7/16 that is close to 8mm or is it 9mm". :)
Jim

Jim Koepke
09-30-2017, 1:08 PM
You are exactly right about that Jim. There are those cases where they are useful. To me it's like wrenches also I don't like the mental anguish of having to think through that "is it 5/16 or 7/16 that is close to 8mm or is it 9mm". :)
Jim

The way to remember is to think of the 5s: 5/64, 5/32, 5/16, 5/8" correspond to 2, 4, 8 & 16mm. 1-1/4" (5/4) corresponds to 32mm. If you get into such things 2-1/2" converts to 63.5mm. Most likely a 64mm wrench wouldn't

7/16" corresponds to 11mm.

Here is a list I made years ago:

Metric to Sae wrench sizes. 6.5mm is common in many wrench sets.

A 't' next to the wrench size indicates this wrench will be tight on its corresponding size nut, i.e. a 14mm wrench is snug on a 9/16 nut.

Millimeters = Inch
6 = N/A
6.5 = 1/4t
7 = N/A
8 = 5/16
9 = 11/32t
10 = N/A
11t = 7/16
12 = N/A
13 = 1/2t
14t = 9/16
15 = 19/32 (not common)
16 = 5/8
17 = N/A
18 = N/A
19 = 3/4 (This is such a perfect match, it is used internationally for automobile wheel nuts)
20 = N/A
21 = N/A
22t = 7/8

32 = 1-1/4 If memory serves me well, this is the size of the hub nut on the rear axle of Volks Wagons before '68 or so.

That has 7 metric sizes throughout the range not covered by an SAE wrench set.
3/16 would be tight on a 5mm, neither size is included with most sets.
Three common SAE sizes, 3/8, 11/16 and 15/16 are not covered by the metric sizes.

Make copies and change the format if it helps. My automotive wrenches include SAE, Metric and Whitworth with a few other weirdos thrown in.

jtk

James Pallas
09-30-2017, 8:01 PM
Thank you for posting the chart Jim. What I do now is get out the tools I think I'll use. If metric whether mechanical or woodworking I get out those tools. For woodworking I have metric squares chisels rules drill bits and just try to stay with that throughout the project. Somethings readily crossover some just don't.
Jim

Jim Koepke
09-30-2017, 8:41 PM
Thank you for posting the chart Jim. What I do now is get out the tools I think I'll use. If metric whether mechanical or woodworking I get out those tools.

You are welcome, it gets posted here and other places about once a year.

My current vehicles, mostly older, have had a mix of both SAE and metric sized nuts and bolts. It wasn't too long ago they were either metric or SAE.

Do some car makers still mix parts or have American car makers gone full metric?

Today one of my tasks was to cut a slot in a drawer side for the piece across the bottom. My Stanley #45 was set up with a 6mm blade from a set made for the Record #405.

jtk