PDA

View Full Version : Who wants to fit a Sawstop cabinet Saw into their small shop?

Bill Dindner
09-15-2017, 2:48 PM
I've been using a folding Jobsite Saw from Sawstop for the last two years. For what it is it's quite good, but I've always wanted a real cabinet Saw from Sawstop.

My shop is a detached single car garage 9 1/2 x 20. I don't have the width to have the full Saw and still be able to walk through the shop. Decided that I rarely use the full rip width, plus I have a Tracksaw for sheet goods and really wide tips.

Used the tracksaw to cut 12 inches off the MDF insert, and drilled and countersunk two new mounting screws. I tried to use a hacksaw to cut off the metal bars that extended past the Saw. That wasn't really working, so I used an angle grinder with a cut off wheel, Grinder wheel and flap sander to trim it to size and smooth it off.

I now now have about 25 inches of rip capacity, and that really plenty. Plus I have the great T glide fence.

Anyone else try this?

Matt Day
09-15-2017, 3:03 PM
Nice setup and I bet it will work great for your space. Cutting down fences is a popular way to make things fit better.

Victor Robinson
09-15-2017, 4:23 PM
Nice job. My shop is getting constricted since part of the garage is being taken for additional interior square footage. I may have to do something similar to my 36" PCS but hoping not to - will come down to how much space I want on either side of the saw to move around freely.

Jim Becker
09-15-2017, 4:27 PM
Honestly, I think it's a rare circumstance that most woodworkers need large rip capacities to the right of the blade on their table saws and that's become even more the norm with the proliferation of track saws of various flavors that let folks cut down sheet goods without having to have a gorilla or two to help lift and move the sheets. I did similar with my slider to get more actual shop space so I could use the tool more effectively. Good job on this tool modification!

Raymond Fries
09-15-2017, 4:28 PM
Very creative! Nice work. Looks like it will do a fine job for you.

Peter Aeschliman
09-15-2017, 6:16 PM
I bought the SS with the long rails. Total waste of space. I've cut the rails down twice now, and currently have about 30" of rip capacity. I don't think I've ever ripped more than 24" (for base cabinets). Anything bigger than that is usually for rough construction work (subfloor, etc), which doesn't require furniture-accurate cuts... and I just use my track saw since cutting sheets that big on the table saw is really not much fun.

Anyway, good on you. I think you made a good choice, and given that you have a track saw, I'll be surprised if you miss the rip capacity you gave up.

John Petsche
10-26-2017, 9:04 PM
Nice idea, and great saw!

Osvaldo Cristo
10-26-2017, 9:34 PM
I have a smaller shop with 104 square feet. Our two car garage is at the side and can be used for temporary work.

My Makita contractor saw gives me 25" rip capacity and I use my skillsaw to break panels. I use a conventional 7 1/4" saw and a heavy duty aluminium profiled bar I purchased almost 30 years ago as a guide for the saw.

It has worked well for me for 25+ years!

Larry Frank
10-27-2017, 7:26 AM
The industrial base is a huge help with the saw to move it around.

Rod Sheridan
10-27-2017, 7:33 AM
Nice modification.

I cut my General 650 to have a rip capacity of 32 inches from 50 inches.

It made a huge difference in shop space.............Regards, Rod.

Derek Cohen
10-27-2017, 8:14 AM
Bill, you did what I would have done if I had purchased a SS.

I considered the the 36" with the upgraded fence. I also wanted the sliding attachment. To add the latter, and bring it closer to the blade, the fence would have needed to be cut away on the left of the blade (as well as to the right, if I wanted to shorten it there). All that made me pause and re-consider the whole deal.

My options were the SS or a Hammer K3. In the end I went for the latter. One of the features of the latter I sought was its compactness. I was not prepared to cut down the SS. Glad it worked out for you.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Frank Pratt
10-27-2017, 10:05 AM
I went from a Jet contractor saw with a 52" Biesmeyer to a SawStop with 36" T-glide. Fits much better in the shop & I've wished I had that extra 16" exactly zero times. During the 15 years or so I had the 52" fence I only used the extra width a few times. Doing a 52" rip on a 4' wide sheet of ply gets a little dicey anyway.

Bill, I see you've got the ICS mobile base, which I have as well. It's a thing of beauty isn't it?

Eric Van Cronk
10-27-2017, 11:20 AM
Nice setup.

Just curius if the MFT lines up height wise as an outfeed table or was the MFT modified. Tempted to pick one up to use as an outfeed table/ TS setup.

Bill Dindner
10-27-2017, 12:02 PM
Nice setup and I bet it will work great for your space. Cutting down fences is a popular way to make things fit better.

Thanks, news to me, I didn't find much when I googled doing this modification to this saw.

Nice job. My shop is getting constricted since part of the garage is being taken for additional interior square footage. I may have to do something similar to my 36" PCS but hoping not to - will come down to how much space I want on either side of the saw to move around freely.

Honestly, I can probably go even smaller, go for it. walk around space and overall shop comfort is more important than rip capacity.

Honestly, I think it's a rare circumstance that most woodworkers need large rip capacities to the right of the blade on their table saws and that's become even more the norm with the proliferation of track saws of various flavors that let folks cut down sheet goods without having to have a gorilla or two to help lift and move the sheets. I did similar with my slider to get more actual shop space so I could use the tool more effectively. Good job on this tool modification!

Thanks, those sliders are real cool, I have never used one, so I didn't even really consider them.

Very creative! Nice work. Looks like it will do a fine job for you.

Thanks so much

I bought the SS with the long rails. Total waste of space. I've cut the rails down twice now, and currently have about 30" of rip capacity. I don't think I've ever ripped more than 24" (for base cabinets). Anything bigger than that is usually for rough construction work (subfloor, etc), which doesn't require furniture-accurate cuts... and I just use my track saw since cutting sheets that big on the table saw is really not much fun.

Anyway, good on you. I think you made a good choice, and given that you have a track saw, I'll be surprised if you miss the rip capacity you gave up.

Thanks, so much my only regret is not cutting it down a bit more

Nice idea, and great saw!

Thanks so much

I have a smaller shop with 104 square feet. Our two car garage is at the side and can be used for temporary work.

My Makita contractor saw gives me 25" rip capacity and I use my skillsaw to break panels. I use a conventional 7 1/4" saw and a heavy duty aluminium profiled bar I purchased almost 30 years ago as a guide for the saw.

It has worked well for me for 25+ years!

I hope I get that much use out of my saw

The industrial base is a huge help with the saw to move it around.

It's fantastic, so happy I got it

Nice modification.

I cut my General 650 to have a rip capacity of 32 inches from 50 inches.

It made a huge difference in shop space.............Regards, Rod.

Great mod,

Bill, you did what I would have done if I had purchased a SS.

I considered the the 36" with the upgraded fence. I also wanted the sliding attachment. To add the latter, and bring it closer to the blade, the fence would have needed to be cut away on the left of the blade (as well as to the right, if I wanted to shorten it there). All that made me pause and re-consider the whole deal.

My options were the SS or a Hammer K3. In the end I went for the latter. One of the features of the latter I sought was its compactness. I was not prepared to cut down the SS. Glad it worked out for you.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks, the K3 is a nice looking machine, I have always been intrigued with sliders, but iv'e never used one, so I don't feel comfortable buying it.

I went from a Jet contractor saw with a 52" Biesmeyer to a SawStop with 36" T-glide. Fits much better in the shop & I've wished I had that extra 16" exactly zero times. During the 15 years or so I had the 52" fence I only used the extra width a few times. Doing a 52" rip on a 4' wide sheet of ply gets a little dicey anyway.

Bill, I see you've got the ICS mobile base, which I have as well. It's a thing of beauty isn't it?

The ICS base is amazing, by far the best mobile base.

Nice setup.

Just curius if the MFT lines up height wise as an outfeed table or was the MFT modified. Tempted to pick one up to use as an outfeed table/ TS setup.

I have the Industrial mobile base from SawStop, I layered plywood onto it so it's just above the MFT so I can use the MFT as an outfeed table. Without the Mobile base and plywood, the MFT is taller than the Sawstop PCS

Simon MacGowen
10-27-2017, 8:50 PM
If 25" rip is all you need, your modification made sense.

The modification, unless it could be reversed, naturally would affect its resale value, which probably wasn't a factor of consideration for you.

Simon

Greg Parrish
10-28-2017, 9:49 AM
I have my PM66 set up with the 52" fence rails but I also have the shorter 36" (or whatever it is). I've thought about a reconfigure many times as my space dwindles. Haven't gotten there yet but may one day consider it as I rarely use my full capacity.

Bill Dindner
10-28-2017, 7:36 PM
If 25" rip is all you need, your modification made sense.

The modification, unless it could be reversed, naturally would affect its resale value, which probably wasn't a factor of consideration for you.

Simon

I called up Sawstop before making the modifications, it would cost around $350 to replace the parts that I cut down if I ever regret doing it.

Im sure I would take a hit reselling the Saw, but I’m sure there’s still quite a bit of value, and I’m not planning on selling this Saw anytime soon.

I have my PM66 set up with the 52" fence rails but I also have the shorter 36" (or whatever it is). I've thought about a reconfigure many times as my space dwindles. Haven't gotten there yet but may one day consider it as I rarely use my full capacity.

go for it!

Nick Decker
10-28-2017, 8:07 PM
You might take a re-sell hit, might not. I'm guessing there are more than a few of us who'd like to put a cabinet saw in limited space.