PDA

View Full Version : Bad Ballast on some T-8 lighting

Frank Foley
10-31-2005, 9:12 AM
For those who are not members of the Woodnet board I posted this there and figured I would post it here as well.
I installed new T-8 lighting in my shop just about a year ago. Three months ago one of the ballast went bad, I didn't think to much about it and bought a new ballast. This past week I was in the shop and another ballast burned out. This time I was in the shop to see it BLOW. I seen the light flicker and then I seen some fire shoot out from the end. I called Lithonia lighting (I got these from Home Depot) to see what was going on (two lights burning out ballasts in less than a year). They had me contact Sylvania who makes the ballast. Long story short Sylvania has a recall on some of their ballast, they are sending me replacements for all my lights. Also due to the fire hazard Sylvania said to change the ballast as soon as they came in and not wait till they blow (no brainer there). One last thing, Sylvania said the warranty on the ballast is 5 years.
Contact number for Syvania is 888-674-4001. They will need the model number off the ballast and there is a number they will need on the end of the ballast where your power leads go in (I'm guessing it is a lot number). Hope this helps. I found Sylvania very helpful.

Frank

Jim O'Dell
10-31-2005, 9:42 AM
Thanks Frank. I just bought 4 of these, 2-8', 2-4' on Saturday. I'll call to make sure if these have the new ballasts already or not before I install them. Jim.

Dave Ray
10-31-2005, 3:07 PM
Frank, thanks from this quarter also. I have eight new T-8's ready to hang.

Dave