PDA

View Full Version : Here's Your Sign, AGAIN!

Keel McDonald
10-31-2005, 9:02 AM
I was working away out in my shop this past weekend eager to put a technique to use that I recently read about on SMC. I was building and assembling some drawers for a desk I'm working on. I used pocket holes to join the pieces together. I couldn't believe how easy it was. In fact, I was thinking that very thing as I drove in the last screw. I thought that it seemed almost TOO EASY. Well it was. As I began inspecting my new creation, I realized it wouldn't hold much without a drawer BOTTOM! :mad: YIKES!!! Oh well, it was an easy fix. Any other screw ups out there this morning?

Karl Laustrup
10-31-2005, 9:45 AM
You are a brave man Keel.

While I haven't done that particular thing [yet] I've pulled some boners in my day.

Congratulations on fessing up. Maybe I'll gain the courage to do the same next time. :o

Karl

Scott Parks
10-31-2005, 10:15 AM
Yup, I did a booboo this weekend...

I had a cabinet carcase for the shop clamped together with my Bessey's. I toe nailed through the shelves with 1 3/8" 18g brads. Apparently I had the nailer angled just a little too much because to my surprise, when I tried to take the clamp off.... :mad: You guessed it... The nails blew out the side, and nailed my Bessey to the carcase.... :mad: I couldn't beleive what I had just done! :o So for the rest, I paid a bit more attention to what I was doing.... :o

I'm almost too emabarrased to fess up on that one...

Jim Becker
10-31-2005, 10:21 AM
Look at the bright side...it wasn't glued dovetails which are nearly impossible to take apart once the glue starts to cure! ;)

Steve Clardy
10-31-2005, 1:29 PM
How about finding out that you have your raised panel in backwards in a door after pulling the clamps off.

Steve Schoene
10-31-2005, 2:43 PM
I've discovered an upside down pedestal in the bird cage of a tilt top table. I discovered this as I was planing off the excess from the wedge I had glued the night before to secure the pedestal.

Andy Hoyt
10-31-2005, 3:18 PM
We once lived in a house for six years happy with the wallpaper the previous owner had installed before our then eight year old daughter noticed that it was installed upside down in the LR and DR.

Sam Chambers
10-31-2005, 3:41 PM
Well, the list is long. On my latest project, I went to great pains to cut the drawer fronts for a jewlery box from a single width of the same board, so it'd look nice. I accidentally cut the grooves for the drawer bottoms on the wrong side of the boards, so now my grain match...well, didn't.

I searched through my pile of scraps for a piece that looked similar, painstakingly cut, glued, planed and scraped it until it fit the erroneous slot nicely.

But wait, it gets worse!

On one of the drawers, I apparently did such a good job that I cut the second slot in exactly the same place! So, I wrote all over the piece in chalk to make sure it didn't happen for a third time, and it worked.

This is one of the funny little stories I'll tell my stepdaughter (for whom the box was made) one day, after she decides I'm not an idiot. (Don't want to encourage that particular misconception right now.)

I've come to the opinion that the difference between a novice and an expert is not the lack of mistakes, but their skill at fixing them!

Keel McDonald
11-01-2005, 7:15 AM
Well, the list is long. On my latest project, I went to great pains to cut the drawer fronts for a jewlery box from a single width of the same board, so it'd look nice. I accidentally cut the grooves for the drawer bottoms on the wrong side of the boards, so now my grain match...well, didn't.

I searched through my pile of scraps for a piece that looked similar, painstakingly cut, glued, planed and scraped it until it fit the erroneous slot nicely.

But wait, it gets worse!

On one of the drawers, I apparently did such a good job that I cut the second slot in exactly the same place! So, I wrote all over the piece in chalk to make sure it didn't happen for a third time, and it worked.

This is one of the funny little stories I'll tell my stepdaughter (for whom the box was made) one day, after she decides I'm not an idiot. (Don't want to encourage that particular misconception right now.)

I've come to the opinion that the difference between a novice and an expert is not the lack of mistakes, but their skill at fixing them!

Sam,

Check out this former thread with similar results.
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=19684

CPeter James
11-01-2005, 9:19 AM
Actually, you can take dovetails apart, even after the glue has dried if you use Titebond II. I made a some drawers and they were 1/2" too wide for the opening. I used my heat gun and a Bessey on the inside pushing and the heat released the glue and they came apart with no damage. I cut off, the half inch, recut the dovetail and put them back togehter.

CPeter

Andy Hoyt
11-01-2005, 9:23 AM
Check this link to see a doozy that I made just seconds ago.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25781

Jason Morgan
11-01-2005, 7:16 PM
I have a pretty good one that happened to me last week. I am making a set of bunk beds. The beds went together fine and I am now making the ladder. After laying out and machining all of the pieces for the ladder, I realize I had two matching sides to my ladder...exactly identical...

Ill try again as soon as the stink wears off from this one...