PDA

View Full Version : Laser puts a bevel on engraving

Ernest Martin
09-14-2017, 11:49 AM
Good day everybody, I just recently setup my Bodor BCL1309X and it looks like it will do what I need it to. It uses RDWorks V8
There are some things that I need to figure out yet.
One when I engrave something such as text it puts kinda like a bevel on the edge rather than making a sharp corner, the focus seems to be right on and when I cut something out it cuts straight down so I presume that it is something in the software.
Any help or input would be appreciated. I have searched on the forum and google, but couldn't find anything which it's possible I just wasn't searching for the right thing.

Robert Bonenfant
09-14-2017, 12:25 PM
If you can post a picture that would be helpful. Check to make sure your alignment is correct and your mirrors and lens are clean. If your not in the correct focus then you will also get undesirable results. Make sure to check your lens if its dirty or has condensation on it, it will create bad results. I would check over your machine and the power settings your using and move on from there.

Ernest Martin
09-14-2017, 1:39 PM
I should double check that they put the correct lens in for the focus, my mirrors and lens are clean,
I did include a picture not sure if it has enough detail

Doug Fisher
09-14-2017, 2:00 PM
Do you have ramp effect checked? If so, uncheck it and see if that helps.

Ernest Martin
09-14-2017, 2:13 PM
The ramp effect is not set. I tried different focal lengths thinking I might have the wrong lenses but that didn't make a difference

Tony Lenkic
09-14-2017, 2:57 PM
Any chance there is a "STAMP" setting in software?
You would get that effect with western machines using stamp function.

Ernest Martin
09-14-2017, 7:00 PM
I have not been able to find any stamp setting our Epilog has that feature, so I don't know if this one has something or not

Brian Leavitt
09-15-2017, 11:04 AM
I don't know what speed you're using now, but if you slow it way down does it still do it?

Kev Williams
09-15-2017, 6:28 PM
Might be a simple focus issue--? In looking at the small lettering, at the deepest point the lettering is at its widest, and gets narrower at the surface. If the lens is too close the beam will be more in focus at the bottom of the burn. I'm thinking as a quik-n-easy test, just increase the focus distance in 1mm increments and see if the burn gets better or worse. If WORSE, then try decreasing the distance..

Another thought, is the beam hitting the cone? Easy test, just take the cone off and try again...

Ernest Martin
09-15-2017, 6:54 PM
I'll try the different focus tonight, I'm thinking it's probably one of those simple things, where I'll feel stupid then.

I tried running it real slow but that didn't seem to make a difference

AL Ursich
09-17-2017, 2:24 PM
A Ramp Test where you draw a bunch of short lines or a sentence of text and place a piece of engraving plastic in the machine with one end lifted off the bed. This makes a ramp that you can adjust the focus to the center of the ramp then laser. You then can see the difference in the laser effect as the machine goes in and out of focus.

+ 2 on does the software default to stamp mode since you were doing a stamp in the sample. Does the laser mode have a "draft" mode where it makes little pyramids out of text with wide base and narrow tops? My hobby grade CarveWright CNC has this option.