PDA

View Full Version : Maple Inventory, next project?

steven c newman
09-13-2017, 9:09 PM
Ok, have a bit of both Curly Maple and plain old Maple left over. Need to find some ideas to use them up...
Have this panel. This is how it came home..3 board glue up, 15" wide x 31" long.....top?

There is a pile in the shop..
Mostly Maple. Walnut is down to small bits and pieces (trim?) the rest is Pine and Poplar
Maple seems to be in this size..
1 x 6 and 1 x8 around 2' long or so. Nice stack..
There is ONE board that seems to say "Drawer Front"
Wild grain. There is also what remains of another wide plank
Yep, that split finally came apart. There are 5/4" thick.....stiles for ...?

The Poplar can be sides for small drawers. Pine can be for frames inside a case. Or just more jigs.

may just sleep on this a while...I think I need a day off, after that Walnut & Cherry Box project....Single Brain Cell Sketch Up is "Off-line" right now.

Stay tuned....may come up with something to cobble together...:rolleyes:

steven c newman
09-14-2017, 11:52 AM
Thinking of ripping that thick slab into stiles.....should be able to get four out of it? Maybe sit that glued up panel on top? Maybe a drawer under it? Or...small Blanket Chest atthe foot of a bed? One that seems to think it is a drawer front..can be made into a fancy end panel ? Bread board ends on the lid? Add a few trim pieces of what is left of the Walnut?

Will see when I get back to the shop. Hmmmm, Frame &Panel case? Breadboards? One or two panels across the front and backs...? Maybe a small "keepsafe" box, just under the lid?

This might take a while....hope it doesn't get too boring.....

steven c newman
09-14-2017, 7:57 PM
IF nothing gets in the way tomorrow...like the Boss having other plans for me..:rolleyes:, I MIGHT meander down and get a start on this Maple project. Maybe see how I am fixed for building the frames..to hold a few panels. Might try a few "new" things out...we'll see. Don't have a way to do video in the shop.....unless someone shows up to do that...shop is open just about every afternoon...

steven c newman
09-14-2017, 9:09 PM
Set the resaw jig to 1-3/4" away from the blade. Ran the 5/4 slab through, and a couple other boards. Need to size them for length, next. Then I can figure out the sizes needed for the raised panels...May have to do a few panel glue ups...Sticking with a single panel on the ends, and two ( maybe..) panels for the front, and for the rear. May work on the frames a while, tomorrow..

steven c newman
09-15-2017, 3:05 PM
Hand plane WORK ( and I am soaked..) today. All frame parts for the front and back frames have been jointed, and the faces smoothed. ( pictures later this evening)

May need a stick or three more, to finish the build. Back is now stiffened up. Need to find a bit of Lunch...

Had to rip a thin slice off of one board..so it would match the ones it will connect to...counting width of the cut....1/8" total removed....then planed flat.

steven c newman
09-15-2017, 6:19 PM
Shop Cat kicked me out of my chair!
So, I guess I should do a little work in the shop?
Resaw jig set to 1-3/4"from the blade. Shoplight to help me SEE the lines.
Results. Needed to clean the bench off, and build a jig....of some sort
These needed the edges jointed....tried the 5-1/2 Stanley...
But it was a tad too "tippy"....went with a Millers Falls No. 14 Jack instead.
these also had a bit of stain on them...readjusted the jig, and removed the red stuff..
Needed smoothed anyway....there were a few long rails to plane down....wavy saw cuts and such...
Rails are almost 30" long, so a longer plane was used.
Out of room for pictures....BRB

steven c newman
09-15-2017, 6:24 PM
That long jointer plane?
Ohio Tool Co. No. 0-7.....I also tried a "different" jointer plane..
A No. 81.....Did ok on the Maple..
So..now all I need to make are a few raised panel blanks. Parts for the front and back frames are ready to be grooved, and mortise and tenoned. End frames may get cobble after that.

Now, IF I can just get my chair back....

Matt Lau
09-15-2017, 8:06 PM
really nice looking wood.

David Eisenhauer
09-16-2017, 2:48 PM
Said it before - you are a dynamo Steven C, but that was one serious looking cat and I would not challenge it for the chair. Surely there are other chairs you can use.

steven c newman
09-16-2017, 6:01 PM
He merely wants a lap to snooze the afternoon away on...

Yard sales this morning...spent $10..
Pair of pipe clamps. Came in handy, too
Picked these up at Aldi's last night....will get them tuned up, later..
Glue up for either the front or back panel..
And the other panel. Only had 5 pipe clamps on hand, until the two from the yard sale arrived..
Cut out the foot profiles. Will see how the side ones turn out, later.
Center divider, and a top and bottom rail. Awaiting to see how the panels turn out, before any grooves get made.
Used this old Bailey No.7c today....back is getting stiff. Will call it a day..

steven c newman
09-17-2017, 11:13 AM
May need to go and get a stick or two of Maple....need a bit of 1 x 4 stock. Maybe build a webframe to support the bottom panel. I suppose Pine will do for that.

Maple Chest this time around....made one in Walnut a few years ago....as a tool chest! Has since been recycled into a "Winter Clothes" storage...
Used to hit my shins all the time...
At one time, it was cleaned up...
Just a tool chest, back then. Light coloured panels are Sycamore.

Andrew Pitonyak
09-17-2017, 3:43 PM
Looks nice..... Guess I waited too long to tell you what you need to build for me :eek:

steven c newman
09-17-2017, 4:07 PM
Did you ever use a plane so much...that you had to set it aside, just for it to cool down? I had to keep changing planes today, to allow them to cool down...

And, this was the second such pile, today....
Had a few grooves to mill..got half of them done..
Removed the clamps off of one panel..laid out some lines...
Wound up with two panels for the front...
Made a jig to hold a panel ...
And started to raise a panel....finally got one panel done
That I could fine tune the fit into the stiles and rails.

Maybe tomorrow, I can get #2 panel raised? Then figure out the length of the top and bottom rails. Right now? George Killian has a bottle calling me name...
Stay tuned...

steven c newman
09-17-2017, 8:03 PM
Planes used..
Stanley No.4c, Type 20, Stanley No. 4 , type 9, Stanley No.60-1/2, Cordovan.
Curly Maple Raised Panel. One done, three to go......

Stew Denton
09-17-2017, 10:14 PM
Hi Steven,

Christopher Schwarz has warned us, I think it was him anyway, and I think it was in the Anarchists tool chest, that perfectly good tool cabinets can become blanket chests (or as was a recent case on this forum a toy box) if we aren't careful....I think it often has to do with the lady of the house. (As I pointed out however, we grandpas are pretty easy marks for toy boxes for grandchildren.....shoot, it was what we had planned all along anyway......)

Anyway, I thought is was a pretty darned good tool chest.....it didn't show up in you on line tour of your shop, so I guess I should have known.

Stew

steven c newman
09-18-2017, 8:03 PM
There was also one made from Oak..
Which has since been replaced by a 5 drawer chest of drawers...
This being a Monday, shop was closed....I stopped at menard's on the way back from the Doctor's office, and bought a 1 x 4 x 8' stick of Maple.....that turned out to be Birdseye Maple...letting that $14 piece of lumber sit awhile. I worked on some chisels, and got a block plane sharpened up..
In order to give the Stanley 60-1/2 a break. Other plane is a Millers Falls No.56B. Twins?

Chisels were tuned up..
Old and new ones. Maybe Tuesday, I can get back to woodworking....

Stewie Simpson
09-18-2017, 9:52 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=368139&d=1505779352&thumb=1 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=368139&d=1505779352)

Steven; being old school, I guessing you didn't waste your time flattening the full length of back on those chisels.

Stewie;

steven c newman
09-18-2017, 9:55 PM
Nope.....only halfway,,,,

steven c newman
09-19-2017, 10:58 AM
OK, got the chisels all put away...need to get back to raising panels....have one done, need 5 more made up. Might meander down to the shop, after Lunch.

May get to use a couple "new" chisels....tenon work, and a bit of mortise work....we'll see...

steven c newman
09-19-2017, 5:53 PM
Was NOT a "nice day" in the shop....walked down the steps to find..
That this morning's little rain storm left a calling card....
Raised panel #2....at least it was fitting at this end..
Something wasn't coming out right, on the first dry fit...set the length of the rails....NEW rails, I had cut the others wrong....may have another use for those...
Mitre Box to do a bit of tenon work....
Bandsaw to complete the cuts. Got out the Stanley 45..
And was feeling kind of groovy....
Started to chop a few mortises...and a dry fit..
But, things weren't fitting just right......had to go back, and resize the panels...and re-do the bevels.....seems they were out of square....grrrrr

Finally got the parts to go together close to what I was looking for... called it a day. Needs two more mortises chopped, and then some glue. Maybe tomorrow? Need to size the next two panels to match these two. might help, at least to get the front and back to match each other...

Just one of "them days", you'll have those...on the bigger jobs.

Stay tuned..

steven c newman
09-20-2017, 11:17 AM
Well, after lunch today, I might mosey down the stairs to the shop....mortises to chop, a couple panels to get marked out for size. Maybe spread some glue around...might need a few extra hands for that. Maybe make a few panel blanks for the ends? We'll see....Lunch comes first, though.

steven c newman
09-20-2017, 4:35 PM
3 hours of shoptime, before the back started hurting....Got a little bit done, though...
Chopped a couple mortises. And spread some glue around. Had to use a "cheater" on the clamps, to pull things tight.
Pinned all the joints, from the "inside"
And set this mess aside, with another glue up..
Then made a matching glue up...
Used the end vise for several tasks. It held the bottom piece while I jointed the edge. Once I had a decent match to the top piece, I spread some glue, and started applying clamps. Vise also held the cauls in place until I could get a clamp on them, like having an extra set of hands..
Set up the Stanley #45 to plough a groove, used the fence adjuster to center the cutter..
Set up a jig, and made a couple grooves...
Center stile for the back frame. I had used the panels from the front frame to size the two for the back...
But there was a problem...one part was thicker....makes it rough to raise a panel...we have ways..
Stanley No. 5c, with a cambered iron. Took all the high spots down. Got both of these panels flattened. Back was acting up...cleaned the place up, and staggered back upstairs.
Need to haula 1 x 4 x 8' plank to the shop, and cut a few parts out of it. Maybe later? Or, tomorrow?

ALL the clamps are busy, right now. Not much else to do, for a while....
Stay tuned....

steven c newman
09-21-2017, 2:03 PM
Maybe later today, when I get back home, I can move some lumber around. Have to reset a jig, so I can raise a couple more panels. Where the ends join the front and back assemblies, I will be using a Tongue & Groove joint. Might set things a tad deeper, this time around. Have to work out the feet details on the end assemblies, too.

steven c newman
09-22-2017, 7:04 PM
I need to take the camera back to the shop.....however....two more panels have been raised. A new center stile milled. Top and bottom rails have been milled. Still need to cut the tenons, and chop a few mortises.....Leg cramps put a stop to any more work, today.....I am soaked. Even with a fan on high 2' behind me.

When the legs settle down, I might try to take a few pictures.

steven c newman
09-22-2017, 7:52 PM
OK, sucking down a couple Gatorades....got a few pictures..
Raised two panels, for the back of the chest....
This is the "new" wider center stile, already marked up for tenons..tomorrow..
Stiles for the ends of the rails, curly stuff..
Two rails out of Birdseye Maple....have these also marked up for tenons...
Got the shoulder plane out, and ready to work on the tenons..

I think that will do for one afternoon? Rails needed ripped from a 1 x 4, the new center stile needed a bit trimmed off of a 1 x 4. Used a few planes to raise the panels....and the Stanley #45 to plough a few grooves..had to get out a new candle for the grooves.....helps the planes slide better.

Stay tuned...

Mike Baker 2
09-22-2017, 8:20 PM
Wish I had a Menard's around here. Bought a 1x4x10' piece of maple from Home Depot. Cost $30.
Everything is looking good.
And you do know that cat owns you, and everything else, not the other way around, don't you?

steven c newman
09-23-2017, 2:04 PM
He does his thing,I do mine....
Tenons were milled today...
The wider ones were cleaned up with a shoulder plane...
Got out a jig to chop a few mortises with....
This is for the wide tenon....got those two chopped..
Test fitted the two panels...
Set this aside, and reset the jig, since the stiles were thicker...
And chopped four more motises...was finally able to spread some glue around..
Decided this could sit here the rest of the day. Maybe I can figure out how the end panels will go...later,

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
09-23-2017, 8:51 PM
Went to the shop, to check on the glue up.....was NOT happy with it. Wound up taking one stile off, pulling the panel out. Framing square showed one edge way out. 1/8" to 1/4" was cut off, bevel was redone. Re-installed everything....and no gaps!..
Only needed a pair of clamps, this time around. Since one of the end panels only had a single clamp left on it, might as well place it on the bench

Same framing square. edges were not square to the ends, and not parallel to each other. Marked new lines, bandsaw to remove the "bad" spots..
Jig and planes. #5c to hog the waste off of the bevel. #4c to cut the bevel itself. #4 smooth to fine tune the bevel, until a slip fit..
Then flip the panel over, and plane a back bevel..
Until the test piece sits perfectly. Rotate the panel, and work on the other end. End grain gets done first...
Get this one close to fit, then do the back bevel. About that time, I decided to stop for the night.
Stay tuned...

steven c newman
09-24-2017, 11:05 AM
While NOT happy about the re-do.....I am happy to show when I do mess up...and HOW I fix it. Shows what happens when I get to rushing things.....better to slow down a bit.

maybe after Lunch, I can see about the end panels, and the frames they will sit in. Stay tuned...

steven c newman
09-24-2017, 3:29 PM
Roh-Kay, now....Got the end panel all nicely raised. Got end panel #2 out of the clamps, and trimmed to match #1
And then started to lay out parts for the frames for both ends. Need them to match each other.
Had four stile blanks.....found a straight edge on each, imagine that. Marked for length, mitre box to trim. Bandsaw to rip for width. Then traced the foot outline from the existing ones.
Bandsaw to cut the detail. Will later sand the feet. I needed to plane this all to match.
Then laid the raised panel to where it will go...
Mainly to figure out the width of the rails....already knew the length..
Turned out the old center rail was close....gave it a tad wider. Mitre Box to cut four blanks..
Then set up the bandsaw to rip for width..

Which means I needed a jig ( or two) to plough a groove....
Vise to tighten the jig.
Out of picture space, again....stay tuned, BRB...

steven c newman
09-24-2017, 3:44 PM
Ok, now?
Had to get out a "new" candle, wore the old out. After each groove was ploughed, decided to try something...different.
I ran the 60-1/2 along, to do a slight bevel, on both corners of the groove, Seems to help the raised panel sit in the groove better..
Got four rails done, now the fun part..
Had to make sure the outside part of the jig cleared the bottom of the fence on the Stanley #45, yet still helped to hold the stile in place. Marks from that screw will not be seen. Then a few swipes with the block plane, again. Finally got all 8 parts grooved
Was I done for the day? Nope, decided to try some tenons..
Laid out for a tenon, Mitre saw to cut the shoulder cuts..
Bandsaw to make the cheek cuts.....
Reset the mortise jig....and then called it an afternoon....lunchtime! Might meander back to the shop, later....and chop a few mortises...would like to get at least one end panel glued up
May have to work on a Monday, otherwise..:eek:....stay tuned

Tony Shea
09-24-2017, 9:40 PM
One small bit of advise, I highly recommend getting all your parts of a frame and panel glue up completely finish planed perfectly smooth and at the very least put a few coats of finish on the panel. This helps with seeing unfinished parts expose themselves with seasonal movements of the panel. It also can help keep any glue from bonding to the panel during glue-up, which is detrimental as it will potentially crack from having nowhere to move to. Don't ask how I know these things, I have learned the hard way.

One last piece of advise... When planing your curly maple I would set your chipbreaker as close to the edge as you can get it to prevent the tear-out.

steven c newman
09-24-2017, 11:10 PM
All my smoother type of planes, have the CB 1 mm back from the edge...always have.

Mortises have been chopped. Tenons were judged to be too long, shortened by 1/8" seemed to work just fine. End panel is now sitting in the clamps for the night...

Finish will be two coats of Amber Shellac....then a top coat. Same schedule as the chest of drawers project.

steven c newman
09-25-2017, 10:06 AM
Pictures? Well, being a Monday.....not much will get done..
Have since removed the clamps....and remade a jig..
Test drive to make sure it works. Paul Sellers loves his No. 4 planes...
The two Stanleys I have been using.....I do have "back-ups" available
Just in case....

Pat Barry
09-25-2017, 12:58 PM
Have since removed the clamps....and remade a jig..
Test drive to make sure it works. Paul Sellers loves his No. 4 planes...
What is this jig used for steven?

Pat Barry
09-25-2017, 1:16 PM
One more question: You make a bevel all the way along each edge to make your raised panel, but you don't plane in a 'flat section' to engage the groove. This seems to be a potential problem. Either the panel is going to swell and the leverage is going to crack your frames or the panels are going to shrink and become very loose. How do you plan the seasonal movement into these panels and grooves? Are you OK with them being loose?

steven c newman
09-25-2017, 1:20 PM
Haven't had a problems.....in over 30 years...

Pat Barry
09-25-2017, 2:04 PM
Haven't had a problems.....in over 30 years...
So, do you go for a fit that is snug to begin with or a bit loose?

steven c newman
09-25-2017, 3:31 PM
Remember, I work IN a cellar, where the Laundry Room is......I build snug as I can......then let things shrink IF they want...
Made over twenty years ago, was made from the floor boards of a One Room School House that was being torn down. Still going strong.

Pat Barry
09-25-2017, 5:37 PM
Remember, I work IN a cellar, where the Laundry Room is......I build snug as I can......then let things shrink IF they want...
Made over twenty years ago, was made from the floor boards of a One Room School House that was being torn down. Still going strong.
The panels on your new (20 yr old) example look different regarding the panel fit to the groove. Of course I can't see the detail very clearly.

Regardless, do you find the panels fit much differently between July and January?

steven c newman
09-25-2017, 6:16 PM
Nope. Panels were done with a Tablesaw, back then.....out in a drafty, old Pole Barn. Like using handplanes better.

Been using a blockplane to ease the edges of the grooves...
Something like this.....allows the panel to settle into the bottom of the grooves better...
Doesn't take all that long to do, either. Would be nice if there was a cutter that could do the groove and bevel the corners all at once...Maybe Derek could "design" one?

steven c newman
09-26-2017, 11:08 AM
I suppose, today being Tuesday...I should go to the shop.....maybe after lunch? Have one more raised panel to do, and a few tenons and mortises to cobble up.

Debate is now on how to join the corners.....T&G again.....or, drill a bunch of counter-bored holes, and use screws and glue, then cut a bunch of Walnut plugs....we'll see.

Stay tuned...you too, Pat.

Pat Barry
09-26-2017, 11:20 AM
I suppose, today being Tuesday...I should go to the shop.....maybe after lunch? Have one more raised panel to do, and a few tenons and mortises to cobble up.

Debate is now on how to join the corners.....T&G again.....or, drill a bunch of counter-bored holes, and use screws and glue, then cut a bunch of Walnut plugs....we'll see.

Stay tuned...you too, Pat.
Hey, I'm always tuned in :)

steven c newman
09-26-2017, 3:10 PM
Well, and wee bit of work did get done , , today.....Sitting here, enjoying an "Orchard's Edge Knotty Pear" to cool down...might take two..
Stanley No. 4c, type 20, set coarse. to hog off to a line..
Get to about here...and the Type 9 No. 4 can take over...
Bout the same all the way around. Here a back bevel is being made..
Test fitted....
Panel's "field" was smooth planed....then the tenons were milled, and the mortises chopped......about time to spread some glue?
4 clamps......
Sooo, done for the day @ 2:30 in the afternoon? We'll see. Depends on how I will join the corners.....may have to set up that plough plane, again....

About time for a second brown bottle?

steven c newman
09-26-2017, 7:43 PM
Got all four sides arranged for a dry fit of sorts..
Normal luck...end panel in the back is backwards....no biggie....will rotate it back around.
IF anyone wants the sizes, let me know....
Need to set these up for a little T&G action...I use that to help align the parts during glue-ups. Will need to reset the Plough Plane to do Match work..

steven c newman
09-27-2017, 3:39 PM
Work too long on this, yesterday....kind of tired today...COPD has a way of doing that...

Will try the T&G joints on the corners.....more to align them then anything else. May do a how-to on setting up the Match cutter?

Will see IF I get motivated to return to the shop....Once I get this case/box glued up and squared......I can get other things done to it....Maybe by the weekend...

steven c newman
09-27-2017, 8:01 PM
Like that other thread here...Woodworker's Block......COPD has put a stop to my going up and down those stairs to the shop, at least for today......had to go and just lay down for a while.

Maybe tomorrow, eh? See the Lung Doctor on the 17th of Oct. to see what he says...can't even mow the yard......

steven c newman
09-28-2017, 3:59 PM
Well, after a day of being lazy...today starts out dealing with a very sick little pup.....now have meds going in for her....so far, so good...

As for me...Decided to get a plane set up, and try a bit of work....
End Panels: Now I know why that shelf sticks out so far....Edges of the panels needed a little work, though..
We have ways...
Millers Falls #14....just a jack plane. Was going to use this cutter..
#6, 3/16" Match cutter.....was a bit too narrow....I set up the #5 cutter instead..
A 1/4" match cutter. Once I figured out which way the grain was going..
And added a bit of wax....things when fairly nice. I wanted to use stopped grooves, so, I cut the tongues back a bit..
Saw cut and the a chisel to remove a bit. But how to cut a stopped groove?

Stay tuned, to find out.....

steven c newman
09-28-2017, 4:09 PM
Ok...After a Mountain Dew Break...and digging out a few items....
I managed to get this contraption set up...Front/ Back panel was clamped flat to the bench. I marked the start and stop lines, and made a cut..
Not too shabby? Ok, turn the panel around, and set up for the next groove.....got about an inch along...
Hate when that happens...dug out a second ( and third/fourth) bit, reset the machine..
Finished the cut. Test fits as I went..
Finally got all the grooves milled. Time to spread the Elmer's around....
7 clamps....diagonal one to pull things into square. Will let this mess sit a while...for some reason, I am a bit worn out...

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
09-29-2017, 12:20 AM
Snuck back to the shop...( forgot the camera..) and got the clamps off...

When I pulled the glue up into square...I went a hair beyond square. That way, when the clamp came off, the case would spring back a bit, and wind up dead-on square.

Lots of glue squeeze outs to scrape off.....No.4 plane leveled the area, anyway, so the glue got removed as well.

Need to decide what to do next on this thing....bottom needs cleats to sit on. There may be a small box added, so it's lid will stand up and support the main lid while it is open. Then again...I need to make the lid, too. LOTS of scraping and sanding to do. Maybe a week until the shellac hits the Maple?

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
09-29-2017, 5:10 PM
tried to work in the shop today....trying to take my mind off of losing a friend.....Little Miss was barely 3 months old.....apparently she got into something in the backyard she shouldn't have, and got very sick.....we were going to take her to the vet this afternoon....she passed away this morning.....

Tried to do a bit on the feet of the chest..
mallet and chisel to blend the two pieces into a rounded shape. Maybe some sanding later..
Ripped some Maple 1 xs into 1 x1s....to make a frame to hold the bottom...glue and nails to install....nail set to set the nail heads...
Center one was toe-nailed in place, witha bit of glue added.....
Marked this 1/4" plywood panel to fit in to the bottom of the case.
Laid the Maple panel on top of the case to see what needed done..
Little too long, may skip the breadboard ends.....need to buy a 1 x4 maple, and glue it to the lid....

Was having "issues" with the screws to install the bottom panel.....just wasn't in the mood to carry on anymore, today......lost interest,really....

Maybe I'll get this done......just not in a very good mood today....

steven c newman
09-29-2017, 10:09 PM
Went to Menards tonight, and picked up a 1 x 4 x 8' Hard Maple plank.....and a package of sandpaper sheets Spent less than $20. Board was S2S....$11.95, sandpaper package was $5.

letting the plank sit in the house until tomorrow....and will try to cut off a chunk to glue to the top....might even have enough for a breadboard edge?

Still not in a good mood...we'll see how this goes....

Cut a 31" section off the plank....turned out the board was surfaced three sides. Used the one jointed edge, and clamps and glue...attached the new to the existing blank. Blank had a slight cup to it....hoping a breadboard edge will help flatten things out. Letting the glue-up sit overnight....

Sand-pack was 25 sheets, 3 different grits. Might just have a use for them...

steven c newman
09-30-2017, 4:02 PM
Sand-pack..
$5? Might get some use out of these?
Glue up from last night...
With cauls.....This afternoon, I started to trim it to size..
Wasn't in the mood to mess around...test fit..
A bit wide? We can fix that..
BTW, that straight edge is called a Tinner's Rule.
Set up another nasty tool..
Has a B&D router underneath, BTW. Set the fence to make this type of cut...
A Maple blank was made by ripping the 1 x 4 right down the center....
Once both blanks were done, switched the bit to another router...
Messy, loud, disturbers of the Peace & Quiet.....anyway, needed a sliding dovetail slot milled...
Stay tuned for part 2...

steven c newman
09-30-2017, 4:07 PM
Ah yes, a sliding dovetail slot..
First try...nope. Second attempt, really. First one was too far to one edge, off-centered....comes from getting in a hurry. Second and third tries were much better..

Will have to trim the ends, to match the lid..
Haven't decided whether to do a squared off cut, or a radius cut.
Battery in the camera was needing re-charged....time to stop for the day.

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
09-30-2017, 11:07 PM
Got bored, went back to the shop.....and worked on the lid for a while..
Used a pint can of varnish to mark the radius......bandsaw to cut. Sander to remove saw marks.
Needed flattening, some edges were higher than others...
Cambered jack to remove the worst of the high spots...
Mainly around these areas....
Finished up with a #4 smooth plane....
Sat it back onto the case, for now. Need to plane and sand the case, before the hinges can go on....
Can't wait to see what the shellac will do to this....:D

Stewie Simpson
10-01-2017, 3:26 AM
Steven; all the best with your ongoing health issues.

regards Stewie;

steven c newman
10-01-2017, 10:23 PM
I thank you, sir. Little Miss was laid to rest this afternoon....

Ok,how about a PIP of this project.....since the first coat of amber shellac is now on...
Lid .....
One of the ends...
And the front. Just one coat, so far....still needs hinges installed....

Mike Baker 2
10-01-2017, 10:52 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss, Steven.

steven c newman
10-02-2017, 7:15 PM
Well, I thought about adding a sliding tray....even went and hauled a Poplar plank to the shop.....kind of lost interest. Monday are like that, I guess.

Haven't even installed the hinges.....motivation has ran out on me....

Pat Barry
10-02-2017, 8:56 PM
I thank you, sir. Little Miss was laid to rest this afternoon....

Ok,how about a PIP of this project.....since the first coat of amber shellac is now on...
Lid .....
One of the ends...
And the front. Just one coat, so far....still needs hinges installed....
Looks good steven, but I wish you didn't have to buy a new board to finish the lid. Maybe another coat or two will even out the color differences between the new and old boards.w

steven c newman
10-02-2017, 11:00 PM
Not really an issue, with the Oak, and Maple top.....kind of frames the oak field.

Has three kinds of Maple...spalted, curly, and birdseye......and the oak top. If made out of all the same boards, would be rather bland, and boring..

steven c newman
10-03-2017, 5:58 PM
There is just enough sap wood along that back edge, to complete a white wood border in the lid.

Had a bit more Maple to cut to lengths...
Maybe later, I can install the hinges?
Plank was a bit too long for the Langdon.....went to the "other" crosscut saw..
Disston D-8.
Used that saw to cut done a 1/2" x 10" Poplar plank...had a use for it as well..
A 1 x 4 was a bit too wide....and I needed a rail made, to match the other rail. Rip fence worked great for simple rip cuts...not worth a ...for resaw.

Some how mangled my way through the NOW 1 x 3.....into 3/8" thick slabs...

Langdon made a couple cuts. Poplar was tapered...in all the wrong directions.....we have ways..
Cambered jack to take all the high spots down....then the smooth plane...
This will be the "bottom" of a tray. The tray slides on two rails. Need to set the rails low enough in the blanket chest, so the top of the tray misses the lid.

Stay tuned....joinery may get done...tomorrow...

steven c newman
10-05-2017, 12:09 AM
Took the day off, today...went rust hunting instead....May try to cut some dovetails...Thursday? Bottom gets a rebate all the way around, then wil be nailed in place....I'll let it wear, instead of the Maple. I can always replace the bottom, that way, if need be.

steven c newman
10-05-2017, 8:34 PM
Had errands to run, a plane to rehab....and 2 hours sleep last night.....didn't feel like cutting any wood....Doctor visit Friday.....maybe Saturday I can finish that tray?

rehab a plane?
The one I picked up this afternoon....

steven c newman
10-06-2017, 4:53 PM
OK, a Biopsy was done on a spot on my right forearm.....shot to numb the area is wearing off...:eek:
Got a bit bored sitting around..decided to clean things up on the bench...

Air hose to de-dust a few items....
Some Dunlaps, and Anant A4, and the newest Stanley....Found a place to stash the Dunlaps,a 035, and the A4..
As for the Stanley No. 4c, Type 16?
Completes your basic starter set...a #4c , a #5, and a #7....
Got out a few tools..
There is a small dovetail bit...used it to set the angle on the sliding bevel. Got to puttering around..
And one corner of the tray is about done.
Took a few extra tools, though.
Looks good enough to me. 1/2" Hard Maple.
But at least the bench is a little cleaner....
Forearm started hurting, time to stop for the day.
Stay tuned...

steven c newman
10-07-2017, 3:26 PM
Busy morning...then the Boss wanted to go to the store....
Metal working: Adapted a few hinges....using a grinder for a bit..
Three were needed. The fourth one shows the "before" look. Put the lid in the vise..
Mark, pilot holes drilled, screws used. Set the lid aside, set the case on the bench. Set the lid to where I could install the hinges onto the case...clamps help keep things from morning around
Finally got the chest back on it's own four feet..
"Test Drive" to make sure things work...lid even closed nicely..
Ok, Rails were next. Got them cut to length, and marked where the counter sunk holes will go..
And used a couple "cordless" drills..
Millers Falls 6" and a Stanley 6" sweep. Leave them set up, just for jobs like this.
Time to make some saw dust...stay tuned..BRB with episode 2 of today's follies..

steven c newman
10-07-2017, 3:34 PM
Ok, here we go....
Close up of my "dovetail saw"
Disston No. 4 11ppi, 14" filed rip.
Once the saw is done, a chisel removes the waste....(trying to save my bench's top, added a poplar "pad")
Used the pins the lay out the tails. Bandsaw to remove the waste. Worked my way around until all four corners were done
Had just laid the panel for the tray's bottom onto the sides....and was getting ready to rebate the panel...when the Boss said it was time to go to the store...grrrrr...

IF I get a bit of free time later, and the forearm ain't hurting too bad....I might get the bottom installed. Then I can lay out how far down to set the rails, and install them....
Stay tuned...

steven c newman
10-08-2017, 12:45 PM
Tray MIGHT get a center divider/handle? Would need to do some stopped dados. May glue up the sides, then add the dados.....then nail the rebated bottom in place, no glue.

Hole in the forearm is about the size of a dime.....and with the hairy arm...kind of hard to keep it covered with a bandaid...:mad:

Maybe later this afternoon-ish, I can try a little more work on the tray?
Stay tuned..

Mike Baker 2
10-08-2017, 12:56 PM
OK, a Biopsy was done on a spot on my right forearm.....shot to numb the area is wearing off...:eek:
Got a bit bored sitting around..decided to clean things up on the bench...

Air hose to de-dust a few items....
Some Dunlaps, and Anant A4, and the newest Stanley....Found a place to stash the Dunlaps,a 035, and the A4..

Forearm started hurting, time to stop for the day.
Stay tuned...
Out of curiosity, about what would you pay for the Dunlaps? There are several different ones at a local antiques place, one similar to a Stanley #7, which is a size I need. It looks in good shape; I need to take it apart and check it, though. They want about $60 for that one, $20 or so for some similar to #4, #5, etc.
Hope the biopsy turns up good, and that your arm heals quickly.

Mike Baker 2
10-08-2017, 12:57 PM
Love the Disston #4!

steven c newman
10-08-2017, 1:42 PM
$60 sounds good for a #7......
Those #3 Dunlaps in the picture? Around 5-10 dollars....

Mike Baker 2
10-08-2017, 1:52 PM
Thanks. Much appreciated.

Don Kingston
10-08-2017, 5:09 PM
it's looking great

steven c newman
10-08-2017, 9:41 PM
Getting a bit long...decided to just complete the tray as is....
Came out of the clamps a while ago,,,,dovetails were trimmed flush. Bottom was cut to fit inside the box.
And just nailed in place, no glue. Then used the tray to mark out where the rails needed to be, and installed them..
Then a test drive along the rails. May add a handle at a later date....right now, doen't really need one. Biggest thing was IF the lid could close, without hitting the tray...
So...next I'll need to haul this thing upstairs, where I will have enough room to add the Shellac, and the clear gloss top coat..
Inside, and out. Just about done....

James Pallas
10-09-2017, 11:05 AM
Steven, I have a question. With all of the things you build you must either give a lot of things away, take things apart and recycle to build something else, or have a huge warehouse you haven't told us about. Followers are anxious to know!
Jim

steven c newman
10-09-2017, 1:27 PM
I build for friends and relatives...just trying to keep from being bored in my Retirement.

James Pallas
10-09-2017, 1:46 PM
I build for friends and relatives...just trying to keep from being bored in my Retirement.
Just ribbing you a little Steven. In truth I am really impressed with how much you accomplish and how diversified the work is. I can't match your pace. I can barely keep up with your posts. Great fun, keep it up.
Jim

steven c newman
10-09-2017, 6:11 PM
That tray was looking a little "Plain-Jane" ...Decided to dress it up a bit...
Set up the #45 as a beading plane, with a #23 bead cutter.
Fence covers the "outside " quirk. Skates are right behind each quirk. No depth stop needed.
Clamped the tray into the vise, and worked along the top edge, starting at the far end..
And worked my way back towards me...
Should have done the "short" sides first. Blew out one pin..rest of the corners weren't too hateful...
Had to look to keep the plane vertical, and had to clear the cutter alot..
Maple flavoured Ramon Noodles?
Did not take all that long, today..to get all four edges done...
If needed, I may sand the whole tray....for now it can sit in the chest...
Maybe tomorrow, I can apply a few coats of Amber shellac, inside and out?
Stay tuned...

James Pallas
10-09-2017, 6:39 PM
Nicely done Steven.
Jim

steven c newman
10-11-2017, 11:50 AM
Thank you..

Single Brain Cell Sketch Up has been working on a way to add a "keeper" to keep the lid opened. May be a Maple "Bar" that pivots up and into a "socket" on the inside of the lid? Then have the bar just drop down onto the tray's rail, when not in use? Picked up a length of chain this morning, will see how THAT goes..

Almost done, stay tuned...

steven c newman
10-11-2017, 7:48 PM
Chain was 16' out of the package! Had to cut it for length with a pair of bolt cutters. Two pilot holes for the two screws.....chain is now installed....

May slip back to the shop, after bit...and see about milling that brace....we'll see. Film @ 2300 hrs....

steven c newman
10-11-2017, 9:06 PM
Well, it is 2300 hrs..somewhere....
Chain is installed, and a brace is made. Brace engages a "D" shaped keeper. Chain can be tighter?
I lean the lid back to tighten the chain. The brace will then be able to dis-engage the keeper...
Then it can be folded down. Chain goes around it, to make sure the chain goes into the chest.
Maybe some finishing tomorrow? May have to do it IN the shop....that should be a fun time...

steven c newman
10-12-2017, 3:00 PM
Last coat of Amber Shellac is now on. Looking into maybe adding some Red Cedar planks to line the floor with...we'll see

Other than that, and the top coat of clear gloss.....Project is about done.

Thanks for following along.

steven c newman
10-16-2017, 3:46 PM
Blanket Chest has been moved upstairs ( whew, heavier than it looks ) and a "Photo Shoot" has been done. Calling this project done.
Front view, lid closed
Open the lid, engage the Lid Brace
Nothing inside, yet. Tray will slide all the way to the brace, if need be. Chain to keep the lid from going back too far.
Corner view. White line is an extension cord, for the Boss' light on the end table.

Thanks for following along. Not sure WHAT the next project will be....yet.

Don Orr
10-17-2017, 12:21 PM
Very nice project and documentation-thanks.

Stew Denton
10-17-2017, 9:22 PM
Steven,

Nice job, it looks good in it' new home. It looks like it is bigger than I realized, nice storage capacity.

Good Job!

Stew