PDA

View Full Version : Hand Reamer Vendors?

David Eisenhauer
09-12-2017, 9:16 PM
Anyone know where I could get a decent hand reamer for tapering out screw holes?

Jim Koepke
09-12-2017, 9:53 PM
Are there hand reamers for this?

Most of what have come my way fit in a brace.

I use something like these:

They drill the pilot hole, clearance hole and countersinks the top. If you go a little deeper then there is room to cover it with a plug.

In the past I have also used a drill bit as big as the head of the screw to make a countersink.

jtk

David Eisenhauer
09-12-2017, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the reply Jim, but not what I am looking for. I seem to recall seeing a tool shaped like a screwdriver-type handle with a countersink gizmo attached to the end of the handle. It looked like you inserted the countersink into the screw hole and then gave the handle a twist to ream the screw hole out for tapered screws. I have googled without any luck after looking at LV and LN offerings. I thought I had originally seen it in LN's offerings a couple of years ago but my hard drive is definitely full and who knows where I did see it. Thanks anyway.

steven c newman
09-12-2017, 10:18 PM
Gimlet....both "T" handled ones, and for use in a brace.....I have at least one of each in the shop...

Mark Stutz
09-12-2017, 10:29 PM
Is this what you are looking for?

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/accessory-tools/accessory-tools-countersink-?node=4084

Jim Koepke
09-13-2017, 3:00 AM
Is this what you are looking for?

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/accessory-tools/accessory-tools-countersink-?node=4084

You must have better Google Fu than me Mark.

jtk

Rollie Kelly
09-13-2017, 9:07 AM
Also Google Noga.

Mark Stutz
09-13-2017, 9:20 AM
Not really. I just remembered they were there. At one point I contemplated buying some countersink bits and making a handle to use by hand. Never did find the round tuit, though.:D

David Eisenhauer
09-13-2017, 9:29 AM
Exactly what I was looking for (although perhaps at a less-than-LN cost) Mark. Thanks a lot. I looked at the LN website last night and it never revealed itself to me. It also seemed like a couple of their other non-plane, non-chisel type tools were not showing up either, so apparently I was not navigating their site very well. I also like your idea of making one. I don't turn, but how hard can it be to make a handle for occasional use.

William Adams
09-13-2017, 9:44 AM
Lee Valley has one as well (of course) --- I bought one a while back, and have been very pleased w/ it:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=54874&cat=3,41306,41328

Love the octagonal shape and that it doesn't roll when put down.

Harbor Freight has one as well (Warrior brand: 3-In-1 Hex Bit Countersink Tool) which I keep thinking I should grab for abuse and metal-working (but then I remember how the countersink bit from there wore down just countersinking 4 holes in not too hard steel plate and decide better).

Lonnie Gallaher
09-13-2017, 10:01 AM
Rockler also has them. With 3 changeable bits.

Brian Holcombe
09-13-2017, 10:25 AM
I have the LN, it always manages to leave chatter. I have one from LV that chucks into a drill (you can use it in a handle instead) it's concave with a hole that terminates in a cutting edge, that one always leaves a smooth chamfer.

Mike Brady
09-13-2017, 10:42 AM
I agree Brian. It is kind of trial and error with countersink bits. I have one that excels that I use in an eggbeater drill. The LN one doesn't seem to be sharp enough to cut smoothly, and of course it is very low rpm.:o

David Eisenhauer
09-13-2017, 2:02 PM
Thanks William. So, looks like my LV search was faulty as well. I searched their catalog database for a "hand reamer" instead of a "countersink". Basically, both my searches last night were faulty. Oh well, good thing SMC is here to save the day. Thanks Lonnie, I will check them as well.

bridger berdel
09-13-2017, 2:12 PM
Not what you were asking for, but...... I get pretty good results with a countersink bit in an eggbeater drill.

David Bassett
09-13-2017, 2:45 PM
... a tool shaped like a screwdriver-type handle with a countersink gizmo attached to the end of the handle....

Search for "hand countersink" (not reamer.) Lots of choices show up at Amazon & in a Google search. General has one that might even show up in your local hardware or big box store.

(PS- Lee Valley also has tapered reamers, for e.g. chair legs, in Standard (http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=54864&cat=1,180,42240,53317,54864) and "PRO (http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=54865&cat=1,180,42240,53317)". Straight reamers are used for precise holes in metal work too, e.g. Metal Reamers (https://www.mcmaster.com/#reamers/=19da28f).)

Nicholas Lawrence
09-13-2017, 3:07 PM
Not what you were asking for, but...... I get pretty good results with a countersink bit in an eggbeater drill.

Same here.

steven c newman
09-13-2017, 3:18 PM
Used to be able to buy Tapered Drill Bits, that matched the shanks of wood screws. Might look into those?

Mike Holbrook
09-13-2017, 4:52 PM
If a chair reamer will do....LV>chair tools>small tapered reamer, standard tapered reamer, pro tapered reamer. Elia Bizzari>tools & supplies>Reamers. Tim Manney Chairmaker>Reamers.

David Eisenhauer
09-13-2017, 7:42 PM
Thanks to all for the all of the info and links provided. Unfortunately, it is now like a Chinese menu in my hands - way, way too many choices. The LV or LN one looked like what I wanted, but then the Rockler one with three different sized tips all for $9.99 was revealed, no - just make your own with a countersink/home made handle marriage, Brian said the LN one sucked and LV has this round one with a hole that works, someone else turned me on to one that is a greater diameter than 3/4" (that is something I have wanted more than once in the past and a candidate for the "make your own"), then egg beaters jumped in to the mix so I went to the drawer my two-never-remember-to-use eggbeaters live and they will work just fine. Then Steven says "tapered drills" or something will do the trick - I've never seen a tapered drill and now I have to see/hold one just because, and the Brits and Aussies haven't even woken up and jumped into this discussion either. No more. Thank you all, but no more - my head is going to explode and all because I screwed up the original search. Where is Lowell? he will tell me what to do.

Nathan Johnson
09-13-2017, 8:16 PM
As a newbie to this hobby....THIS IS HOW I FEEL WITH EVERY TOOL I DECIDE I NEED!

Fwiw, reading this thread, I like the LV one. Mayhap I'll order one.

steven c newman
09-13-2017, 8:53 PM
Some of the ones from my shop...
Each a little different. I have a couple countersink bits for my 6" sweep brace.