PDA

View Full Version : tub spout - the opening around the pipe that feeds it

Stephen Tashiro
09-12-2017, 7:34 PM
Is the hardware for a tub spout supposed to keep water from going into the hole where the pipe that feeds the spout comes through the wall?

( I can't determine the answer to that from reading directions about installing tub spouts such as https://www.plumbingsupply.com/info-tubspouts.html .).

Here are photos of a situation where looking at the plumbing from the back of the wall, I can see daylight around the pipe that feeds the spout. I think the light shines through hole on the underside of spout that's near the wall. I suppose water would only get into the wall in a rare case such as a kid playing in the tub and splashing the water around. Nevertheless, I'm inclined to seal around the pipe with foam. Should the tub spout hardware itself have sealed the hole?

Bruce Wrenn
09-12-2017, 8:39 PM
We usually run a "rainbow" of flexible caulk above opening. Let it dry as a round bead, then install tub spout.

Tom Giacomo
09-12-2017, 8:49 PM
You should use a bead of caulk around the tub spout and there should be an open drain on the bottom to let out any captured water, the shower handle should have a rubber or foam seal inside and a drain on the bottom.

Stephen Tashiro
09-12-2017, 9:34 PM
We usually run a "rainbow" of flexible caulk above opening. Let it dry as a round bead, then install tub spout.

Does "above the opening" imply that the opening around the pipe is not completely sealed off? The way I'd be happy with a tub spout is if it came with some sort of big disc that completely covered the space around the pipe where water might get into the wall. I can understand not caulking a complete circle around such a disc. However, in the situation at hand, I can see daylight around the pipe.

Bruce Wrenn
09-13-2017, 10:19 PM
Does "above the opening" imply that the opening around the pipe is not completely sealed off? The way I'd be happy with a tub spout is if it came with some sort of big disc that completely covered the space around the pipe where water might get into the wall. I can understand not caulking a complete circle around such a disc. However, in the situation at hand, I can see daylight around the pipe.Because many spouts also are the diverter, and also contract and expand with hot water, they need to move some. Never had any problems. P-1 plumbing licensee for almost 20 years, FYI.