PDA

View Full Version : Painted Cherry

Andy Hoyt
10-30-2005, 10:21 PM
I turned this one from a leftover chunk of 12/4 cherry just as something to kill time with. The "upper cove" shape was not intentional. Had a monster catch and by the time I had it fixed, this was the result.

Since TOL is a gourd artist (rather good at it I might add) and does magic with paint, I said, "Why not?" She pyrographied (sp?) the upper cove and then painted with leather dye, some metal flake stuff , and god knows what else.

First pic is with lighting system, second is with a flash. Flash pic's colors are more accurate.

It's about six inches wide, 3" tall and 3/16" +/- thick.

Whatcha think?

John Hart
10-31-2005, 6:54 AM
Wow...that is pretty neat Andy!!! Looks to me like you two make a pretty good team! The colors are very cool indeed!:)

Chris Barton
10-31-2005, 6:57 AM
Wow, that looks great Andy! I have been toying with the idea of painting some of my turnings and your piece will serve as inspiration!

Keith Burns
10-31-2005, 7:56 AM
Wonderful piece. Love the painting/finish. It's funny that what you have in mind when you start a piece is not always how it turns out. Mine hardly ever end up with the shape I was looking for. You adapated this one well.

Jeff Sudmeier
10-31-2005, 8:07 AM
I have to admit, when I read the title of this post, I said to myself WHAT!?!??! Paint my favorite wood, what a sin!!

That said, I have been converted, I like it!

Mark Cothren
10-31-2005, 8:30 AM
Andy, I have to admit when I read the post title I was fully prepared to not like this piece...:o But I also have to admit that after looking at it and the fine job your wife did on her part that it is very impressive!

Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Mark Cothren
10-31-2005, 8:31 AM
Jeff, we musta been typin' at the same time (or maybe I am just still sleepy this morning ;) )... great minds think alike, eh? :) :D

Jim Becker
10-31-2005, 10:01 AM
Very nice, Andy. That really turned out wonderfully.

Although many folks cringe at first when they see something like "painted cherry", once of the masters of the art, Jack Vessery, uses cherry for nearly all his wonderful burned, textured and painted work. Mind you, he doesn't use figured stuff...very plain, tight grained cherry...as it is easy to detail, burn and work with the various tools he employes for his signature work.

Andy Hoyt
10-31-2005, 12:09 PM
Yup, I usually consider it a mortal sin to do anything with cherry other than a clear finish; but this time I said, "what if?"

My wife didn't much like the size, said it was too small. Would have preferred something two to three times bigger. Joy! That's an invitation to go block hunting!

Jim - Living in the same state as Jacques is good enough for me, belonging to the same chapter even better. But to have this piece conjur up his work in your mind is earth shattering and probably has something to do with the sixties, but I'll take it none the less. Thank you.

And thanks to all of you for your comments. May well have to explore this collaboration thing further.

Andy