PDA

View Full Version : Cocobolo and tool gloat

Andy Hoyt
10-30-2005, 10:13 PM
I was rough and finish turning this dry piece of cocbolo one day about six months ago. As I was nearing completion of the inside the shaft of my hook tool caught the rim and it she blew apart into three pieces.

Nothing ventured nothing gained - so I put it back together with some yellow glue and promptly forgot all about until a few weeks ago when I found it as I was rearranging the shop to accomodate my new lathe.

I stuck it back the machine yesterday and this is the result. About 7" in diameter, 3" tall, and a 1/4 +/- in wall thickness. The bottom is a bit thicker because I forgot to revisit that surface. Has three wipes of tung oil and buffed.

First time I ever turned this stuff and I want more! Comments?

Jim Ketron
10-30-2005, 10:20 PM
I say nice save Andy!
Nice form and the finish looks awesome!

Travis Stinson
10-30-2005, 10:35 PM
Very nice save! If you hadn't told of the blowup, I would have never known. Great job! :)

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-30-2005, 10:42 PM
Personally Cocobolo is one of my favorite woods. Your save is beautiful!

Bruce

Dick Parr
10-31-2005, 12:36 AM
Great job Andy, wouldn't know you ever had a problem with it. Very nice.

Glenn Hodges
10-31-2005, 2:28 AM
Andy, I am glad you were able to save this pretty thing.

John Hart
10-31-2005, 6:57 AM
Good Reconstruction sir!! I love Cocobolo, even though it gives me the sniffles. It is such a rich beautiful wood. Very pretty Form Andy

Keith Burns
10-31-2005, 7:58 AM
Great save! Worth the effort. Nice form and finish.:)

Jeff Sudmeier
10-31-2005, 8:06 AM
Wonderful save Andy! THe form looks perfect as does the wood.

Chris Barton
10-31-2005, 8:27 AM
Great bowl! What kind of new lathe did you get?

Mark Cothren
10-31-2005, 8:33 AM
Love that wood in duck calls, and love it even better after seeing this picture of your's! That deep, rich color is great!

Thanks for the picture!

Andy Hoyt
10-31-2005, 11:56 AM
Thanks, guys. Your comments are appreciated and gratifying.

Scariest part of this one was whether or not to trust the yellow glue when combined with my normally unsteady heavy handed style. Will never know if I chickened out too soon as to thickness, but I like it too.

Thanks again.

Chris - New lathe is a Oneway 1640 with outboard extension. Very very sweet; and a huge expenditure, but jeez! does it hum! Here's a pic just to keep Karl Laustrop off my back. Lemme know if this is sufficient:D

John Shuk
10-31-2005, 9:25 PM
Nice job on the Cocobolo. It is beutiful wood for sure. Just be careful of the dust and chips. I have not had a reaction but I've heard some bad stories. I also know people who have no reaction at first but seem to gain an intolerance. I hope I don't sound like a wet blanket. If you take precautions now you should be fine. It sounds like your hooked!
John

John Miliunas
10-31-2005, 9:48 PM
Chris - New lathe is a Oneway 1640 with outboard extension. Very very sweet; and a huge expenditure, but jeez! does it hum! Here's a pic just to keep Karl Laustrop off my back. Lemme know if this is sufficient:D

First and foremost, that's a B-A-utiful piece! Great form and the finish looks like you can just dive right into it! Wonderful job!:)

Now, I ain't Karl, but I live close enough to him to "proxy" for him! What the heck is that a picture of? A box? A BIG box? On a trailer? Big deal! Heck, for all we know, you pulled that box away from some poor homeless guy, who used to work for one of the now-defunct Dot Coms!:mad: You tryin' to pull the wool over our eyes there, Andy??? That don't look like any lathe I've ever seen, much less something as beautiful as a "Oneway"! Hrmph...I think he's bluffing, guys!:D :) :cool:

Andy Hoyt
10-31-2005, 10:36 PM
Oops! It's Halloween - thought it was April Fool's Day.

Yup, I didn't think that would pass muster, even with a rentapiccop like Millionairess/muhlunias/mehlongias/ John.

Hope this shot will keep me out of further trouble.

Oneway 1640 with outboard extension bed. 16" swing over the inboard bed and a 24" swing outboard, and 40" between centers. I've got my old vac system hooked up to it, and am still trying to finesse the sanding dust hood which is ducted to the Oneida. Cheapo Ryobi grinder just out of shot on the right. Right hand tool holder is a converted old drafting table. Holder straight ahead is a scrap piece of wire shelving. Everything I need is no more than two steps away. Best element I've ever added was the overhead fan. The next best is the junk shelf on the back side of the machine. That's where tools and such for the current piece tend to end up. And third best is the Moffat Light Rig, which is invaluable.

John Miliunas
10-31-2005, 11:09 PM
Wow, Andy! She's a beaut, awright! Looks like an ideal setup. Congrats!!!:) Oh, and BTW, people have a way of hacking up my last name without even trying!!!:D Enjoy the Oneway!!!:) :cool: