PDA

View Full Version : Helios dial Gauge information

Andrew Pitonyak
09-11-2017, 2:28 PM
I was in Florida visiting my "second parents", and I managed to fly out just in front of the hurricane. I brought a few things back with me, such as a Helios .001" dial gauge.

I was thinking that I would use it, then I decided that I can just use the one that I bought with a stand to that fits in the slots on my table saw. So, I thought "I should sell this..... but wait, maybe a friend of mine can use it, I can give it to him." So, I will sell it or give it to my friend depending on what my friend says.

In the meantime, I can find nothing that gives me a model number. There is what looks like a VW, where the V is directly over the W, on the back. I see nothing else indicating a model number.

So, anyone have any information on this? For example:

What is the model number?
Link to documentation?
The top of the dial has something that screws in place. There is a long rod that screws in place (you can see it in the picture kind of laying there). So, what is that for? I don't have a good handle on how to use that top piece.
What is the purpose of the two black tabs on the display?
When I put this thing into the case, it depresses the indicator on the bottom, is this normal, or will it affect the spring long term?
Anything I did not think to ask?

And no, I do not have a stand to use this, just the dial.

Any information is welcome.

Bruce Page
09-11-2017, 5:36 PM
Hard to know the model #. It looks like it has .400 of travel. I would guess that it was made for a specific purpose. Most dial indicators have 1” travel, or more.
You’d need the model # :)
The black rod is a tip extension. They’re fairly common and come in different lengths.
The black tabs are basically adjustable “zeros”. For example, if you were facing multiple depth steps on a lathe you could set the tabs as a stopping point for each step. Most professional level dial indicators have them. I always found them to be more trouble than they're worth.
Is that the original case? It is better not to leave the spring in tension.

Helios made good quality machinist level tools. Not top tier but good.

Andrew Pitonyak
09-11-2017, 11:14 PM
Hard to know the model #. It looks like it has .400 of travel. I would guess that it was made for a specific purpose. Most dial indicators have 1” travel, or more.
You’d need the model # :)
The black rod is a tip extension. They’re fairly common and come in different lengths.
The black tabs are basically adjustable “zeros”. For example, if you were facing multiple depth steps on a lathe you could set the tabs as a stopping point for each step. Most professional level dial indicators have them. I always found them to be more trouble than they're worth.
Is that the original case? It is better not to leave the spring in tension.

Helios made good quality machinist level tools. Not top tier but good.

It will spin about 2.75 times around before it stops, but, it tracks up to 4. Not sure what that is about.

The case looks like it was meant to hold this. based on what you said here, I unscrewed the bottom piece and then it fits in the case without pressing the feeler in.

Those tabs seem to be set in place and not movable. Perhaps with some persuading, they could move, but I will not be the person that does this.

Thanks for the feedback.