PDA

View Full Version : Shaper Cutter needed

Mike Cutler
09-11-2017, 12:55 PM
To All

I am building a set of kitchen cabinets, and the doors will be done in an Arts and Crafts/ Greene & Greene, cloud lift motif.
Each door, based on size, will have the cabinet face broken into two or three separate panels divided by verticals( I don't know if a vertical piece of wood in the center of the panel is technically called a "stile"?) The actual rails and stiles will be 7/8" thick, and these center"stiles" will be 3/4" thick. The panels will be 5/16" thick. Basically, there are three levels to the door face, all softened with radius(s) to put cloud lifts, inside of cloud lifts. If I need to go with 1" thick rails and stiles to accommodate and existing cutters set, that's doable. 3/4", or 4/4 finished rails and stiles is not doable.

The cutter set I am looking for is actually very simple. I need a basic tongue and groove set, with a 3/16" radius on top, and I need the tongue to not be centered. Ideally it would be 1/8" inset from the back of the cabinet, and I would prefer it be deeper than 3/8". I have looked at every "Mission Style" and "Arts and Crafts" style sets on the internet, and can't find anything that gives me the flexibility I need. If there is a place I can have the set made, that would be helpful also. Oh, and the rail pieces also feature a cloud lift, so the set will need accommodate a bushing/bearing for template work

I have made the first "test" door using a standard T&G set and a router with a 3/16" round over bit, but that leaves a "unique" joint where the rails meet the stiles. It's also pretty tedious to make the rails and stiles fit tightly "manually".

I am also looking at concealed hinges for and inset door that might work. If you know of any, let me know.

Thank you in advance

Mike

Bill Orbine
09-11-2017, 9:24 PM
Vertical middle stile(s) is a mullion.

Darcy Warner
09-11-2017, 10:17 PM
W. Moore in NC.

Rick Potter
09-12-2017, 2:56 AM
Hi Mike,

I would sure like to see a pic of that first 'test' door. It sounds really interesting, but I just cannot picture it in my head.

Justin Ludwig
09-12-2017, 6:23 AM
Freeborn also makes custom cutters