PDA

View Full Version : bandsaw riser block

Brandon Speaks
09-11-2017, 11:29 AM
Ive got an older G0555 bandsaw and was hoping to process some logs into small boards but the 6 inch resaw is a real limitation here. A riser block kit seems reasonably affordable, and timing is good because I was getting ready to replace my blade anyway. That being said I do wonder if the saw is powerful enough to to really warrant the change.

If I could go back and do it over I would have bought the 17 inch 2hp saw to start with, oh well live and learn I guess.

Anyway, I dont see a new saw in the picture this year, so riser block, or keep the resaw work to 6 inches and under?

Al Launier
09-11-2017, 12:14 PM
I also considered the riser block for my G0555 BS, but decided against it when I realized how many blades I currently had on hand & would have to replace for the few times I'd have to resaw since I'm mostly a small projects, hobbyist type woodworker. Perhaps when I use up some of the 93 1/2" blades & grow the size of my projects it'll make sense.

Otherwise, to answer your question, if your work involves a fair amount of larger resawing, and as you noted you apparently have few blades, then go for it. Keep in mind though, as you also noted, that some harder woods will be more difficult to saw, plus be sure to use a coarse pitch blade (3-4 TPI) to allow clearing of the sawdust as you saw your way through the wood.

Bruce Page
09-11-2017, 1:00 PM
I put a 6" riser on my old Delta 14” with 1/2 hp motor. I could resaw 8” QSWO with it but I had to go very slowly. I never cut anything wider than 8”.
IIRC, I used a 3-TPI Timberwolf blade.

John K Jordan
09-11-2017, 3:45 PM
I put a 6" riser on my old Delta 14” with 1/2 hp motor. I could resaw 8” QSWO with it but I had to go very slowly. I never cut anything wider than 8”.
IIRC, I used a 3-TPI Timberwolf blade.

Same here. I cut a LOT of green log sections up to 12" thick with the little delta before I got an 18" saw, 1/2" 3-tpi blades. It wasn't fast but it always worked.

Once a friend showed up with some 12' long 2x12 boards from Douglass fir and wanted me to resaw into four thin boards so he could case in a post in his timber frame house. Never tried that before. In my ignorance I built a tall fence and turned the board in to four, perfect enough to clean up with a pass through the planer. Resawing that now would scare me. But it may have helped that I had just tuned up the saw following Duginske's book.

I did have to discard me extra shorter blades but they are pretty cheap. The longer blades weren't that much more.

JKJ

Jim Finn
09-13-2017, 7:20 PM
I re-saw all my wood to 3/8" thickness. In 2008 I bought the riser and the re-saw fence with my GO555 and it has worked well for me. Mine has a one horsepower motor and , with a sharp blade, cuts hardwood and softwood well. I bought this saw for resawing and I am happy with it.